...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
landsurfer

Re: ...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

Post by landsurfer »

foxyrider wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I love cycling in the rain, all my best TT results where done in the rain.
Just dress accordingly ...

It's not rocket science why - more oxygene in the air as well as a slicker road surface often with very light wind.

Right on all points ... it has always baffled me why people are so uncomfortable racing in the rain .... The only TT i actually won, medium gear club 25 at Swansea, it was pouring summer rain ... lovely :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Anyone like cycling/time trialling in the dry? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone like cycling/time trialling in the dry? :wink:

:lol:
I suppose my signature gives my nature away and where i am most comfortable ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Was out last week - hot day riding in the Peaks then grey clouds and a shower went through, luvverly. Bit further on, just as I was starting to steam around Ladybower a longer more persistent downfall - there was I riding along with a wide grin plastered on my chops.

Summer showers are fine, it's the longer depositions of H2O that get a bit yeuh! I prefer to not set out in wet but if it happens whilst i'm out - well neither me nor the bike will wash away and I can whack on a jacket. I can't ever recall dipping out due to rain. Mid ride.

A lifetime of commuting by bike means i'm 'happy' to ride in pretty much any weather due to necessity - having the chance to pick and choose to avoid weather really is a bonus!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

landsurfer wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I love cycling in the rain, all my best TT results where done in the rain.
Just dress accordingly ...

It's not rocket science why - more oxygene in the air as well as a slicker road surface often with very light wind.

Right on all points ... it has always baffled me why people are so uncomfortable racing in the rain .... The only TT i actually won, medium gear club 25 at Swansea, it was pouring summer rain ... lovely :D

Massed start is no fun in the rain!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxyrider wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
foxyrider wrote:It's not rocket science why - more oxygene in the air as well as a slicker road surface often with very light wind.

The only thing to do is break away, ride alone all day, win the stage and the Most Aggressive Rider prize
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

The only thing to do is break away, ride alone all day, win the stage and the Most Aggressive Rider prize

Probably not gonna happen in the local handicap league!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

David9694 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Recumbent trike

Doesn’t that mean you’re presenting an even greater target to the raindrops than a conventional rider?

I have a fairing .... this gives you some protection.

As for enjoying the rain, I laugh at rain, as I also enjoy cycling in snow!

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I was one of many who started a 300k audax from Worthing at 2.00am in torrential rain. It didn't stop until we reached Folkestone and was replaced by a strong headwind all the way back.

I enjoyed the challenge on the day and now enjoy the memory. :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

David9694 wrote:If so, how?

It's very possible and just depends how far you are from home :)

PS,I've enjoyed riding in summer rain,not so much in winter though :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

David9694 wrote:If so, how?

Start at the age of two (or earlier in a sling) with long walks on rainy days in the park. At the age of five, walk to school. At the age of 11, cycle - you get the idea. How children will grow up these days and like the rain ... etc etc. And now you're going to tell me you spent your childhood out of doors, in the rain. :roll:

BTW, there are real issues with cycling in the rain - braking (without discs :lol: :lol: ), cars with misted-up windows, a hood that obscures your vision, a mirror with raindrops on it, tyres that lose grip. But I presume we are talking about your own bodily comfort and experience.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

The last two cycle tours I've done I had torrential rain most of the time.
I'd have preferred sunshine but still enjoyed it.
Problem is I wear glasses, can't see without them or with them covered in rain.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Greystoke wrote:Problem is I wear glasses, can't see without them or with them covered in rain.

Yes, we could have added that to the list. We could also have added a dripping bike at home (or in the hotel!) and getting cold after getting wet. I would also add the problem of SPD shoes letting in water. And we haven't even mentioned cycle camping. And then there is the disappearing landscape in the mist and low cloud, drivers that cannot see you, lorries that might as well be cross-channel ferries for their wind and spray and being splashed by cars going through puddles (and the flooded roads of course).

But in terms of the rain in your face, the freshness of the air, the sheer joy of rain - well, there's nothing quite like it!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have considered a recumbent but only tried one in dry conditions. It did occur to me that in the rain the water would run back down your legs and you would get a soggy seat. On an upright with a cape I only get wet from about the knees down but on a recumbent? Any comments?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

As long as I'm warm, I don't have a problem as long as I have something to keep the rain out of my eyes. A small peak on a cap or a peak on a helmet if you wear one seems to make all the difference for me. Take that away with the rain then hitting my eye area, then I hate it.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....