...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

Post by David9694 »

If so, how?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ...if it’s ever possible to enjoy cycling in the rain

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If it is quite hot and not really raining, one can keep cool, best is if it looks rainy (forecast) but does not really rain, then fewer people are about

I can remember a few days like that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Absolutely

Recumbent trike so puddle surfing isn't a problem.... 8 mile journey to a warm shower and large fire
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Cunobelin wrote:Recumbent trike

Doesn’t that mean you’re presenting an even greater target to the raindrops than a conventional rider?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ever possible?
Yes, because it can be quite nice and refreshing ................. but no, if it's cold and windy and it's chucking it down and it's winter and the traffic is heavy and it's getting dark.

I rode off to Exeter last week. 50odd miles and took the train home.
I'd paid for the train in advance so I was committed to the ride, but after leaving it started to rain. Not hard, but gentle, and it kept it up for some hours.
Had I know it was going to rain, I wouldn't have booked the ticket in the first place, but as it happens, it was quite a pleasant ride, though rather damp.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I find that getting wet is more unpleasant than being wet. As long as I am warm, I'm not bothered. Yesterday I was caught in a thunderstorm and got seriously splashed by a car driving through a puddle, but amazingly, the water was warm. The fun factor of being on a bike soon came back.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Sure, out with friends yesterday, a bit wet :o , but not cold, I was happy, better than being stuck indoors, Mrs RJS may have found me work to do :shock: :wink:
Cheers. Rob.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I don't care about the rain. Been commuting or nearly 10 years without any other form of transport so I've had to get used to it. I prefer riding when it's dry, but it wouldn't stop me going out.

I moved over to riding recumbents a few months ago and I do prefer upright bikes when it rains due to the rain hitting my face.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, positive thread alert, we love rain!

Cycling in the rain the last bit home is good, motivating, one knows one will soon be in the bath
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Graham O wrote:I find that getting wet is more unpleasant than being wet.

It’s the same with the dark/ getting dark I found.

When I did my 30 minute commute, I minded getting wet on the way in a lot more than going home. The wet also gave the additional hazard of all the mud left on the road by farm vehicles making a thin coating of gunge that gets everywhere on the bike.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Mick F wrote:and took the train home.
I'd paid for the train in advance so I was committed to the ride

Unless it makes no sense in terms of wind Direction, I always get the train for the outbound leg, so I don’t spend the whole ride worrying about meeting some situation where the bike isn’t allowed on the train. That’s never happened to me in practice. Where its an HST, you’ve got to enter onto thei guard’s own territory, whereas on South West trains, cycle accommodation is possible in most vestibules, so there’s no one with any locus to turf you off. At least GWT have a working cycle reservations system - SWT makes no sense at all.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thread drift alert! :lol:

I did some research. The cheaper fares from Exeter to Plymouth were with CrossCountry at four quid odd, but bike booking wasn't available. Having been on a CC train with a bike, the stowages are very limited and it seems to me that it would be first come first served. As the CC trains would have come from Up Country somewhere, I wasn't happy to pick one of them.

I found a Local Train by GWR Exeter to Plymouth calling at all the stations en route. This cost £9.70 but I know that the local GWR trains have loadsa space for bikes. Also, knowing that the train was starting at Exeter, I could be on asap.

I used this website.
http://www.brtimes.com/#home
Put in Exeter and Plymouth for tomorrow.
http://www.brtimes.com/#!board?stn=EXD& ... e=20180814
Scroll down to 15:50 and it's the train I caught. Local Train.
http://www.brtimes.com/#!train?uid=C430 ... 3d20180814
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

One of most memorable rides home was one evening after a warm summer day. It was raining a fair bit, on my race bike, very little traffic and I was on form. It felt great. So invigorating. One of those occasions that cemented the realisation that I really had chosen the right pastime.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I love cycling in the rain, all my best TT results where done in the rain.
Just dress accordingly ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

landsurfer wrote:I love cycling in the rain, all my best TT results where done in the rain.
Just dress accordingly ...

It's not rocket science why - more oxygene in the air as well as a slicker road surface often with very light wind.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!