Bernard Newman cycle author, spy, etc.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jeffmalter

Bernard Newman cycle author, spy, etc.

Postby jeffmalter » 16 Aug 2018, 9:07pm

Does anyone want to learn more about Bernard Newman, cycling most prolific author, government informer, political analyst, etc.

brynpoeth

Re: Bernard Newman cycle author, spy, etc.

Postby brynpoeth » 16 Aug 2018, 9:33pm

Yes please
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs!

peetee

Postby peetee » 16 Aug 2018, 10:34pm

Yes. But only if you won't feel duty bound to shoot us all afterwards.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

hujev

Postby hujev » 16 Aug 2018, 11:24pm

Strange question... In response to your post
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/berna ... ever-heard
right?

That's excellent - but don't ask, just do!

Found it a couple days ago as was making another round of gleaning 1920s-70s English cycling books to read.

My first thought was 'curses! now the cheap copies will get bought up because he's famous again!" I have so far only "British Journey", but have two more on order (The Lazy Meuse and Berlin & back). Unfortunately "pedalling Poland" is the one I want most but too expensive... (the real book - think there's some i-phone version now, of no interest to me!)

Looks like I'll have his cycling books to read through for a good long while nonetheless, even on paper, and I'll; eventually track down Pedalling Poland....

Also, "The Cycle Writings of Bernard Newman" available on-web as a pdf is excellent, and
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... rd-1233022
("Fact or fiction – was author Bernard Newman a top spy?"), and this:
https://bernardnewman.webs.com/
which seems to be semi-abandoned but has some stuff of interest and maybe written by a descendant ("...Hilary Newman... His middle daughter - my Mother").

So yes, me too want more! ... are you thinking of writing a book length biography?! Great idea!
Last edited by hujev on 10 Jan 2019, 12:58am, edited 1 time in total.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 17 Aug 2018, 9:04am

There was a good article on him in the Veteran Cycle Club's 'Boneshaker' magazine a couple of months ago. Two of his books are now available on Kindle and I will read them soon.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 17 Aug 2018, 9:44am

Thanks for those links, Hujev. Sounds an interesting chap and a prolific writer. Must keep an eye out for his books; in the mean time, although I don't have a Kindle, Amazon assures me I can read a Kindle publication "on any device" by downloading a free app. My favoured device would be paper... !

jeffmalter

Postby jeffmalter » 19 Aug 2018, 12:11am

To all who have recently replied to my Bernard Newman article thank you! 29 of his books have been reprinted in electronic format and can be found on Kindle/Amazon. 2 of these are cycling journeys. Try Bookfinder.com for his other books (135 in total!) If you want to know more about Newman I am writing a biography so when it appears do purchase it, possibly even next year. Thanks again and enjoy the cycling! If you have any specific queries or interests do contact me again.