... about Indian long distance cycle tourists?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hujev

... about Indian long distance cycle tourists?

Postby hujev » 17 Aug 2018, 6:01pm

... because I've been searching & reading a lot of 20th c. touring stories again, and there seems to be quite a few by Indians that don't get mentioned so often in 'my favo(u)rite touring books' sort of lists. I'm getting curious.

An example, I've just ordered is "A dollar and the world" by Ahmed, Badiuzzaman (~1971), of which I know nothing other than the title, copyright & publisher, # pages, and dates of travel.

The list of long-distance cyclists in the 1908 ed. of "International Cycling Guide" lists more (some with books), plus I've found a few more even obscure one via some too-intensive web searching (various obscure newspaper articles, etc.)... I'm talking about English language only stuff of course... I don't know any other Indian languages.

So it seems like Indians are and have been pretty intense cycletourists but rarely get mentioned in the Euro and NA press/forums I've seen, or if rarely, only name/title (no book reviews - example, search the above). Most of my web searches, unfortunately, result in info on rich white westerners touring in India not Indians touring elsewhere!

Anybody have any insight? How about a good Indian cycling forum where I might ask? A history of Indian velotouring book??

Bmblbzzz

Re: ... about Indian long distance cycle tourists?

Postby Bmblbzzz » 17 Aug 2018, 8:23pm

A place you might ask is Bangalore Bikers Club.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... ore-bikers
Lots of hardcore bikers there and though they might not know the history, they'll be able to direct you to others who do; and they do know the present day people!