Poor service at Evans

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mick skinner

Poor service at Evans

Post by mick skinner »

I got an ebike at the beginning of this year but the motor unit broke down, so I took it back to the shop on the 22nd of June and they've not repaired it yet. They say it's because it needs a new motor unit and the supplier doesn't stock motor units by thenselves.

By now I think they should be offering to replace the whole bike.

Has anyone else had problems like this with Evans and/or an ebike?
Brucey

Re: Poor service at Evans

Post by Brucey »

in the middle of an 'Evans issue' right now. Almost on principle I don't usually shop there but they had something (they claimed) that I couldn't get elsewhere, so I went to the local branch, paid for it, and it didn't turn up. They are saying that it is OK for their stock computer to show a product in stock, for me to pay for it, and then it not turn up. They have offered a refund, but I think they could (and should) do better than that. We shall see.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

Your consumer rights are set out in the Consumer Rights Act 2015, summarised here.

You're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:

. the cost of the repair or replacement is disproportionate to the value of the goods or digital content
. a repair or replacement is impossible
. a repair or replacement would cause you significant inconvenience
. the repair would take an unreasonably long amount of time.

My armchair opinion is that the last two on that list could apply to your current situation.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mick skinner wrote:I got an ebike at the beginning of this year but the motor unit broke down, so I took it back to the shop on the 22nd of June and they've not repaired it yet. They say it's because it needs a new motor unit and the supplier doesn't stock motor units by thenselves.

By now I think they should be offering to replace the whole bike.

Has anyone else had problems like this with Evans and/or an ebike?

Have they said what they intend to do? (As opposed to what they've been unable to do.)
hemo

Post by hemo »

If it's a Bosch drive and the unit developed a fault the drive unit has to be sent back to Germany only then do Bosch send out a warranty exchange unit, it could take up to 6- 8 weeks.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hemo wrote:If it's a Bosch drive and the unit developed a fault the drive unit has to be sent back to Germany only then do Bosch send out a warranty exchange unit, it could take up to 6- 8 weeks.

I think that one would expect a large retailer like Evans to be able make good from their own stock rather than leave a customer waiting like that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Gah. Last time I went to Evans is the last time. I wanted to buy a bike. Unfortunately that had sold it only days prior and the stock had not been replenished. So they told me if I paid them a £50 refundable deposit they would rush the stock reorder. I thought it odd that I had to pay them to get something in of which they were supposed to hold in stock. But whatever. Wasn’t worth the argument. Got a text a couple days later saying it had arrived but needed to be built. I’d receive another text when they were ready for me to come in. A few days passed and nothing so I took it upon myself to just go in. Yup there it was in with all the other displays. So I asked the guy to unlock it so I could take it for a spin. He said he would get someone. At this point I counted one other person in the shop and 8 staff.... ok thank you. 20 minutes passed and I went up to the guy who was trying to sell me a different bike the first time I was there. Now there were 3 customers myself included. He said he would get someone to unlock it. 20minutes passed and now I was the ONLY customer in the shop. I went to the till and asked them to unlock it. They said they would get someone... another 20 minutes passed. I had been there for an hour and it didn’t seem they wanted me to buy a bike off them.. so I didn’t. I went to the till. Asked for my deposit back and I left without a bike.. a month later I am still riding my awful charity shop job as I was pretty set on that bike but out of principle refuse to buy anything from Evans and so am researching other options
My poor poor bottom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:
hemo wrote:If it's a Bosch drive and the unit developed a fault the drive unit has to be sent back to Germany only then do Bosch send out a warranty exchange unit, it could take up to 6- 8 weeks.

I think that one would expect a large retailer like Evans to be able make good from their own stock rather than leave a customer waiting like that.

cheers

Quite right.

The poor service the OP is getting is the sort of thing usual with an independent LBS with limited capitalisation - a large company like Evans should do better.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Shouldn't this be in the"cycling goods and services "section of the forum?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whilst it can be read as a "review" of Evans service it was posted as a request for advice on how to move the situation forward.

Seems to me like the right board for the latter.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I bought a Jamis Touring from them in early June. Stripped off the racks and mudguards, converted the triple chainset to single ring .. and rode LEJOG on it.
The bottom bracket developed a clunk .. intermittently .. but never an issue i couldn't sort out myself ...
However .. i had a warranty and a free 6 week service so i asked them to sort it out ...
The bike was delivered .. the bike was collected ... with a service receipt ....
Just as it went in !

Nothing lubed, nothing adjusted .... nothing done ...

Pointless ...

Don't waste your time ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
jonc.uk

Post by jonc.uk »

Brucey wrote:

cheers
Agree.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my ONEPLUS A6003 using hovercraft full of eels.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

landsurfer wrote:I bought a Jamis Touring from them in early June. Stripped off the racks and mudguards, converted the triple chainset to single ring .. and rode LEJOG on it.
The bottom bracket developed a clunk .. intermittently .. but never an issue i couldn't sort out myself ...
However .. i had a warranty and a free 6 week service so i asked them to sort it out ...
The bike was delivered .. the bike was collected ... with a service receipt ....
Just as it went in !

Nothing lubed, nothing adjusted .... nothing done ...

Pointless ...

Don't waste your time ......

And here when I was considering buying a Boardman every one said fine buy a Halfords bike but don’t let the monkeys touch it after. Take it to a proper bike shop like Evans to service it..

Yea right.
My poor poor bottom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Buy a Boardman, learn to service it yourself , take advice from your LBS ... but most importantly service it yourself ..... its not a Formula 1 car or a Tornado GR4 ... it's a bicycle .... (watch the RN advert :lol: ) .... you can do it .. there is masses of advice available .. on here from Bruce ... books, youtube etc.
I'll call round and give you a 1 to 1 teaching session if you feel you need it ...
Cycle maintenance is being "mystified" by the industry to add value to their sales ...
I have seen 3 page articles in some mags on fixing a puncture .. really

DIY !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I've had a couple of problems with items purchased from Evans. In each case they have told me that they have to return the item to the supplier to determine if it is a warranty claim rather than refund the money to me straight away or replace the item out of stock. I didn't view this as a very satisfactory response. So my experience is similar to the OP's, though in my case the items were of lower value, but clearly defective (cycling shorts and a Lezyne GPS tracker).