Why wasps are so vicious?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Why wasps are so vicious?

Post by foxyrider »

Out on today's ride, minding my own business, noticed something on my hand moments before the little bugger painfully stung me and buggered off! Have had a similar incident a few years ago where said beasty made a bee line (sic) for me, stung me on the knee and sodded off. In both instances I hadn't done anything to raise the buggers ire.

So just why do they clearly single out the moving thing for attack? Earlier in the day another example ignored me completely as it bashed itself against a window a foot away from me.

(it's still painfull now, 4 hours later but I can't see the sting point. No swelling or anything this time.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Xilter

Re: Why wasps are so vicious?

Post by Xilter »

We owe the invention of paper to wasps. Scientists studying the way they mulch wood to make their nests.

But now we have paper. Their usefulness is exploited. We need a mass cull. Destroy them all
My poor poor bottom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Xilter wrote:We owe the invention of paper to wasps. Scientists studying the way they mulch wood to make their nests.

But now we have paper. Their usefulness is exploited. We need a mass cull. Destroy them all

You do realise that all over the world wasps are plotting something similar against the human race?

Their action started earlier today in Yorkshire, I read.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

About a month ago I resorted to buying one of them electric rackets. I’ve been killing a minimum of 4 wasps a day in my kitchen. Turns out that when killed they let off a pheromone that attracts more wasps to their rescue. So I’m hoping that my fly swatter doesn’t spontaneously give up or my family and I are going to come to a short and horrible demise
My poor poor bottom
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

because................by now they are drunk! literally. this time of year their work nest building is done, so they gorge themselves on the sweet nectar of over abundant, over ripe fruit, that unfortunately for us, but fortunately for them, ferments inside and makes them ..tipsy, watch them take off, they often go side ways, then fall over.. If only we could eat a pear and fall over... :roll:
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

yostumpy wrote:because................by now they are drunk! literally. this time of year their work nest building is done, so they gorge themselves on the sweet nectar of over abundant, over ripe fruit, that unfortunately for us, but fortunately for them, ferments inside and makes them ..tipsy, watch them take off, they often go side ways, then fall over.. If only we could eat a pear and fall over... :roll:

so he needs to breathalise it then give it the option of going on a speed awareness course.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Xilter wrote:About a month ago I resorted to buying one of them electric rackets. I’ve been killing a minimum of 4 wasps a day in my kitchen. Turns out that when killed they let off a pheromone that attracts more wasps to their rescue. So I’m hoping that my fly swatter doesn’t spontaneously give up or my family and I are going to come to a short and horrible demise

Your mistake is in killing them. What you need to do is injure the first one and then its screams keep the rest away.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Wasps are having a hard time round our way this year - I've only seen one all summer. and that one stung me!
They're good for the garden by the way - they eat aphids.
Zoidsberg

Post by Zoidsberg »

Share the road :D
:idea: :idea:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

wasps, it seems, are highly territorial; wasps from one nest won't fly near another nest presumably because they are liable to be attacked. So, if you don't want wasps (coming from some distance away) flying in through an open window, or bothering you outside, you need only hang up something that looks like a wasp's nest in order to deter them.

You can get special products such as the 'waspinator' for this purpose

but in reality almost anything that vaguely resembles a wasp's nest will probably do the trick;

or even

One has little lose by trying this out, so why not give it a go?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Brucey wrote:

One has little lose by trying this out, so why not give it a go?

cheers

I am curious enough to give this a go. I just need a paper bag... will report when I find one
My poor poor bottom
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

I don't agree with the title of this thread ...I don't think wasps are vicious .I don't bother them and mostly they don't bother me. I'm 65 this year and I have been stung by a wasp maybe 6 or 7 times, always my fault ,not paying attention... I think we need to be a bit more wasp tolerant ....
peetee

Post by peetee »

What about if I dress up in a wasp suit. Will that do the trick?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

peetee wrote:What about if I dress up in a wasp suit. Will that do the trick?

should deter wasps nicely...

not to mention human beings, probably..... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Down at the Tamar Inn earlier today watching Calstock Regatta on the river.
http://www.tamarinn.com

A wasp flew into my beer, so I fished it out between finger and thumb, and then flipped it away.
Simple.
Mick F. Cornwall