What is this bike worth ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikerwaser

What is this bike worth ?

Post by bikerwaser »

Hi All !

I've just acquired this lovely 1930's Elswick Vintage Bike that is in good working order.

I've always wanted one so I will probably keep hold of it. Some friends have suggested it may be worth a fair bit.

A quick search on Ebay comes up with prices all over the place with some as high as £475 for a bike in similar condition.

I hope I haven't put this in the wrong section. I didn't want to put in in the forsale part as it's not for sale.

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know what people think it could be worth.

Thanks

Bikerwaser
Attachments
20180819_111735.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Re: What is this bike worth ?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one ask what you paid for it? :wink:

You could keep it for a hundred years, the value might go up. Or down
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 20 Aug 2018, 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I would say that essentially it is what anyone would be prepared to pay for it. Were those eBay prices what someone wants or what someone has bid?

Alternative values would be replacement value (heading towards priceless) and what it's worth to you. The insurance market may consider one of these latter 2, but the open market will only consider the first value.

Love it, cherish it and enjoy it.
peetee

Post by peetee »

That eBay price of £475 is wildly optimistic. It's on eBay because it hasn't sold. It hasn't sold because it's too expensive. I bought a very similar bike for my wife for £20 but to be fair I was the lucky one as I wouldn't have grumbled at £50. So IMHO, with these vintage machines in good, working but not pristine condition the value of ownership is greater than it's monetary value.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
random37

Post by random37 »

It's nice, but it isn't special.

I know in the US the market for those commands much higher prices, but in this country there are still thousands of them mouldering in sheds up and down the country.

I think £50 sounds about right. Certainly £450 is ridiculous.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Thanks for your comments so far.

I'm surprised some say only £50 as a Brooks saddle goes for more than that on it's own.

I'm planning on keeping it for now anyway.

Just wondered what the forum thought.

Cheers

Bikerwaser
random37

Post by random37 »

bikerwaser wrote:Thanks for your comments so far.

I'm surprised some say only £50 as a Brooks saddle goes for more than that on it's own.

I'm planning on keeping it for now anyway.

Just wondered what the forum thought.

Cheers

Bikerwaser

If it's in perfect condition, maybe. That one is old, and deformed.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

As above, only top condition and the more expensive models. Basic models or cosmetically challenged go for much less, for example the last 3 B17's I bought were all <£35 and two had done <100miles.

If the bike is working condition I'd say £50-£75 is a fair price, but if it needs *any* work at all starting knocking money off in £10 increments.

These kinds of bikes are mostly bought by people who know how to look after them, so are also consequently after bargains, they don't want to spend £100 on a bike that needs £50 worth of parts. And if anyone without the knowledge to work on them themselves is looking then even minor jobs will be a big cost to them when workshop time at the LBS is expensive.

The sad thing is that often bikes like this, and far nicer, are taken to the local tip so 'value' is all relative anyway.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is worth investing time to visit junk shops, house clearances &c
Plenty of people do not know what things are worth :wink:
peetee

Post by peetee »

I don't take much attention to online prices for used goods. If there is something I am interested in I assess its value to me in terms of how much I would use it and how much pleasure I would gain from ownership. That is enough for me to formulate a monetary value and if I can't find one at that price then that's the end of it. The problem for me is that, clearly, I tend to over value things in my head because I have ended up with a silly number of bikes and bits. (Please, feel free to make me feel better by telling me that last comment was nonsense).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How many bikes do you have? The most I remember seeing here was 20, someone offered a machine for sale and mentioned that she had 19 other machines

I have 3.5 :wink:
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How many bikes do you have? The most I remember seeing here was 20, someone offered a machine for sale and mentioned that she had 19 other machines

Erm, if you count the ones I have passed on to the kids and my wife but have they have not used, I erm ...er.... No comment :D :oops:
Last edited by Graham on 22 Aug 2018, 6:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoting resolved
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Thanks again for all the comments.

The bike is in perfect working order and rides really well.

It actually rides better than a lot of modern bikes I've ridden, and I ride a lot of different bikes as I repair many of them every day.

It has a very comfortable riding position and is an absolute joy to ride.

Also , I know it sounds kinda geeky but I even like just looking at it. Now that must make me a proper bike nerd. haha

The saddle is actually amazingly comfortable and isn't deformed at all as someone commented. Looks like it has lots of life left in it.

Anyway, cheers for the comments.

Bikerwaser
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bikerwaser wrote:Thanks again for all the comments.

The bike is in perfect working order and rides really well.

It actually rides better than a lot of modern bikes I've ridden, and I ride a lot of different bikes as I repair many of them every day.

It has a very comfortable riding position and is an absolute joy to ride.

Also , I know it sounds kinda geeky but I even like just looking at it. Now that must make me a proper bike nerd. haha

The saddle is actually amazingly comfortable and isn't deformed at all as someone commented. Looks like it has lots of life left in it.

Anyway, cheers for the comments.

Bikerwaser

Half person, half bike? :wink:
Plus One!
random37

Post by random37 »

bikerwaser wrote:The bike is in perfect working order and rides really well.

Say what you like about old bikes, but they were designed to work well and be easy to use. Unfussy transport, at the best price.

Well worth £50 of anyone's money!