Can anyone help fix Bikehike.co.uk? Is there an alternative?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Can anyone help fix Bikehike.co.uk? Is there an alternative?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bikehike still works, after a fashion. You can no longer switch to OSM routing and the google maps box is like navigating through a smoke screen. But it still plots the same routes as always and still shows you the OS map too.

Decent alternatives are RWGPS, which has various routing options including Google and OSM, and cycle.travel.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:
Sweep wrote:I have long used the excellent
http://cycle.travel/
Just looked at that, and yes it is excellent.
You put your start point in and your end point, and then it does the rest.

Not for me though, thanks.
I want to create my own route click by click by click, just like on BikeHikeUk.

You can do that in cycle.travel. You have to tick a box (which I can't see on my phone which I'm using to write this so can't tell exactly what is says) to allow you to add extra points. You can also click & drag the already created route to follow something you prefer.

Another feature I like is that if you click on part of a route one of the options is to show streetview for that bit of road.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote:
Sweep wrote:I have long used the excellent
http://cycle.travel/
Just looked at that, and yes it is excellent.
You put your start point in and your end point, and then it does the rest.

Not for me though, thanks.
I want to create my own route click by click by click, just like on BikeHikeUk.

By and large I'm with Mick on this. But if I want a relatively short local ride, which will inevitably be on roads I know well, it can be made a bit more interesting if I ask cycle.travel for a circular route and then don't look at it before setting off, so I never see more of it than a garmin screen's worth at a time. That way it becomes a mystery tour.

The downside is that c.t does sometimes choose quite unsuitable (sometime nearly unusable even on foot) off-road sections, presumably because of dodgy OSM labelling.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

sjs wrote:The downside is that c.t does sometimes choose quite unsuitable (sometime nearly unusable even on foot) off-road sections, presumably because of dodgy OSM labelling.

If you find a section like that then let me know - if it's an OSM data issue I (or anyone!) can fix it in OSM, or if it's a systemic issue with the way cycle.travel interprets the data then I can look at that. Usually the solution is to mark the surface type for that path/track in OpenStreetMap.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
sjs

Post by sjs »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
sjs wrote:The downside is that c.t does sometimes choose quite unsuitable (sometime nearly unusable even on foot) off-road sections, presumably because of dodgy OSM labelling.

If you find a section like that then let me know - if it's an OSM data issue I (or anyone!) can fix it in OSM, or if it's a systemic issue with the way cycle.travel interprets the data then I can look at that. Usually the solution is to mark the surface type for that path/track in OpenStreetMap.

One recent example is the public footpath (not bridleway) from the A10 into Buntingford, suggested as a shortcut if arriving from Throcking, through the point with OS grid ref TL35563023.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I like cycle.travel a lot, especially for planning tours or leisurely rides, but I know what Mick means. Sometimes bike hike appeals simply because of its directness. For instance, if I'm heading north out of Bristol, I'll often choose to ride straight up the A38, particularly on a weekend when there isn't much traffic. So I click on the A38 in Bristol and then click again at the point where I want to leave it, say Gloucester, it simply plots a route following the road. Ride with gps does the same, but cycle.travel will seek a route on the quiet lanes. For me, cycle.travel is great for planning a route in an area I don't know; it will almost always come up with a decent route (and I love the facility to jump to google streetview). But bikehike is great when I know that at the time I intend to be there, the A123 is actually decent to ride on. Clearly ymmv with tolerance for traffic, time of day, etc.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

^ this.

Whenever I've tried adjusting the route in cycle.travel it jumps around so much that it ends up in a complete tangle in its efforts to avoid a few hundred yards of a quiet A road. Of course, it may be just user error....but I always ended up reverting to BikeHike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just emailed BikeHike at admin@bikehike.co.uk and asked if they knew that their maps are an issue.
I asked how much Google Maps want for their services.

I suggested that I'd be willing to donate if I knew this was a reasonable cost, but if it's a high cost every year, it may not be such a good deal.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

sjs wrote:One recent example is the public footpath (not bridleway) from the A10 into Buntingford, suggested as a shortcut if arriving from Throcking, through the point with OS grid ref TL35563023.

Do you mean https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/120365090 ? Can you tell me how you'd describe its surface and smoothness in the linked terms, please?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
sjs

Post by sjs »

mjr wrote:
sjs wrote:One recent example is the public footpath (not bridleway) from the A10 into Buntingford, suggested as a shortcut if arriving from Throcking, through the point with OS grid ref TL35563023.

Do you mean https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/120365090 ? Can you tell me how you'd describe its surface and smoothness in the linked terms, please?

Yes that's where I mean. Surface is unpaved and smoothness is impassable, given that the first section heading east from the A10 is down a steep flight of steps under overhanging brambles.
mjr

Post by mjr »

sjs wrote:
mjr wrote:Do you mean https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/120365090 ? Can you tell me how you'd describe its surface and smoothness in the linked terms, please?

Yes that's where I mean. Surface is unpaved and smoothness is impassable, given that the first section heading east from the A10 is down a steep flight of steps under overhanging brambles.

Ah, well, I'll mark that first section as steps, which should deter most cycling route apps!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
sjs

Post by sjs »

mjr wrote:
sjs wrote:
mjr wrote:Do you mean https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/120365090 ? Can you tell me how you'd describe its surface and smoothness in the linked terms, please?

Ah, well, I'll mark that first section as steps, which should deter most cycling route apps!

Sorry, must have read too quickly, as I missed "steps" as an option!
mjr

Post by mjr »

sjs wrote:Sorry, must have read too quickly, as I missed "steps" as an option!

It wasn't. I asked the wrong question :oops: because it sounds like the underlying feature needs changing from path to steps.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Just emailed BikeHike at admin@bikehike.co.uk and asked if they knew that their maps are an issue.
Received a reply.

Hi Mick,
I've set it up to use OSM maps for now. You'll probably have to reload the page (shift F5).
I'll put some kind of explanation on the home page soonish.
cheers,
Simon

Works fine. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:Just emailed BikeHike at admin@bikehike.co.uk and asked if they knew that their maps are an issue.
Received a reply.

Hi Mick,
I've set it up to use OSM maps for now. You'll probably have to reload the page (shift F5).
I'll put some kind of explanation on the home page soonish.
cheers,
Simon

Works fine. :D

I had the same reply.

A couple of points:-
  • The Google error still appears but goes away & doesn't bother you further if you click OK.
  • Don't make the mistake of trying to also use the Open Street Maps Routing Algorithm in the options just because it is now on OSM mapping, leave it on Google. The OSM routing hasn't worked in months, if not years - or at least it never produces anything for me before I've got bored waiting & given up.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.