Leather saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hottubus

Leather saddle

Post by hottubus »

Does anybody have any experience of the Selle Italia Epoca leather saddle. Apparently it is two layers of leather with a fabric of some sort between them.
Just wondered if they were like heaven or possibly a brick to sit on.
Any advice would be welcomed, could not find any reviews about it.
Cheers.
random37

Re: Leather saddle

Post by random37 »

We know nothing about you, and even less about your bottom.

Seriously, you need to try it. If people were anatomically consistent, there would only be one kind of saddle for everyone.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Whilst there's some truth to that, it's a little extreme. This subforum is called 'does anybody know...?' after all, taking whatever opinions and subjective experience are then given is par for the course, I'd have thought.

I've never tried one and would also be interested in hearing from those who have.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

They are on eBay at £30.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
pwa

Post by pwa »

Seems like a potentially interesting saddle.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Really there are two issues here, the shape and the layered construction.

Shape: It looks a bit like a B17 standard, just a few mm wider and longer. Many men prefer something narrower such as the B17N. If you know you have a "Brooks-shaped bum" then it could be worth a try.

Construction: The fabric layer should make it more durable, i.e. less likely to sag, but it will probably take (a lot?) longer to break in. The sides are not punched for lacing but there plenty of leather there if you wanted to lace it. Unfortunately I can't find any indication the thickness - Brooks leather seems relatively thin these days.

I (female) use the similar Spa Nidd and like it a lot. It also has a fabric layer but on the underside, and can be laced. The leather is thick and feels pretty unyielding if you press it with your thumbs, but I find it very comfortable. I prefer a cut-out so applied a stanley knife, and this may have made it slightly more forgiving.

Epocas are available quite cheaply on ebay at the moment.

HTH
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

LollyKat wrote: I prefer a cut-out so applied a stanley knife, and this may have made it slightly more forgiving.

Interesting - I've a Nidd, and have pondered butchering it. Was it easy to get clean edges on the cutout?
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I made my own cut out in a Brooks saddle. I punched holes and laced it too. Works well - but not much different from my standard one, if I'm honest.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would be wary of cutting a leather saddle
Can one treat the edges to prevent it splitting?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

It wasn't that hard to do. First I drew out the shape (based on the Rivet Pearl but not as large) on a piece of masking tape and stuck it in position on the saddle, which was mounted on the bike. I then marked it by pricking through along the line with a needle mounted in a pin vice (a cork would do). After removing the tape I wiped a little talcum powder on the dotted line to make it show up clearly against the black of the leather.

Next I drilled the "stop" hole at each end with an 8mm drill, then cut the rest with a Stanley knife. It took quite a lot of passes to get through the leather. Once I was satisfied with the shape I chamfered the edges slightly with a scalpel, then finished them off with dose of old, waxy Proofide.

There has been no hint of splitting. The edges are clean enough for me but it doesn't look as professional as the Rivet, though more because the shape isn't quite symmetrical. On the other hand it was £60 cheaper and may be less attractive to thieves.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Surprising there's virtually nothing about the Sella Italia leather range on the forum. I'd definately buy an Epoca if I had a bike that needed it.
On one of my bikes i've got a Storica, 149mm width and their lightest, definately one of my favourite saddles ever. It seems like Brooks have stagnated with their leather saddles and want to just concentrate on them rubber things before they abandon leather eventually??? The Storica with its triple layer leather and shape feels modern and up to date. A titanium version would be the perfect saddle.
I did have an unused Mitica which I sold, I might regret that!
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

I have one. It's beautifully made - it looks like an upscale Italian leather product...which I suppose it is.

I'm always reluctant to answer 'is it comfortable?'. I've kinda got a Type O derriere - it's rare I find a saddle that's uncomfortable. The Epoca seems to flex and give about like my Persons No. 77 Deluxe, more than my Lepper Tourer or Brooks Cambium, but not as much as my Selle Anatomica NSX2.