Halfords withdraw Cuk discount on sale items

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Eyebrox

Halfords withdraw Cuk discount on sale items

Postby Eyebrox » 30 Aug 2018, 5:12pm

Apparently the T&Cs have changed. Any item reduced in any way (sale offerings, 3 for 2, servicing deals) will not qualify for further club discount.

TrevA

Re: Halfords withdraw Cuk discount on sale items

Postby TrevA » 30 Aug 2018, 5:16pm

Evans do the same, only offering discount on full priced goods, so you will often see their clothing slightly reduced e.g. a £50 top reduced by £1.50, a discount of 3%, which prevents you getting the normal 10% CUK discount.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

PH

Postby PH » 30 Aug 2018, 5:30pm

It's not a very informative OP - where does this info come from, what is your experience?
My experience is that the Halfords staff don't know much about it, they have a sheet of discount barcodes, including Cycling UK, they scan that and you get the discount.
I suspect it's always been the case that you don't get discount on an already discounted item, that's pretty standard, though in some cases you get the greater discount. I've had Halfords price match, then discount and that's always been outside the T&Cs. I've also used it on some non cycling specific items, again outside the T&C's.

mjr

Postby mjr » 30 Aug 2018, 5:58pm

Wasn't the retailer offering a greater discount to its own customers than the CTC one part of why the online CTC Shop (that I think was Wiggle) closed down?

Maybe CUK will finally stop supporting LBS-killing chain stores. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 30 Aug 2018, 6:22pm

TrevA wrote:Evans do the same, only offering discount on full priced goods, so you will often see their clothing slightly reduced e.g. a £50 top reduced by £1.50, a discount of 3%, which prevents you getting the normal 10% CUK discount.

I didn't realise that Evans offer a 10% discount to CUK but if true then I have learned something new and useful today! I did not find this under the benefits section of CUK website but may be need to look harder.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 30 Aug 2018, 6:36pm

Whilst there is a lot of animosity towards Halfords, I fail to see the problem here

I have about 14 discount from various memberships across a wide range of products

There is not a single one that does not exclude sale items from the discount

Whilst I hate to defend many of Halfords’ practices, in order to validate this criticism there needs to be proof

In my experience, sale products are never valid with other offers or discounts

This post needs examples of companies who offer multiple discounts, I.e. where discount is applied to sale items

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 30 Aug 2018, 6:39pm

rotavator wrote:
TrevA wrote:Evans do the same, only offering discount on full priced goods, so you will often see their clothing slightly reduced e.g. a £50 top reduced by £1.50, a discount of 3%, which prevents you getting the normal 10% CUK discount.

I didn't realise that Evans offer a 10% discount to CUK but if true then I have learned something new and useful today! I did not find this under the benefits section of CUK website but may be need to look harder.

Always ask, many employers, national companies and organisations, memberships... even living locally can give you discounts
Also compare...,,

One outdoor company used to give me 10% on my CTC and 15% on my Scout Association warrant

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 30 Aug 2018, 8:49pm

Mick F won't be happy! :cry:
[color=#FF0000][/color]

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 30 Aug 2018, 9:02pm

Mountain Warehouse gives me a 10% discount on all items and offers, not just discounted ones, with my SYHA membership. It's unusual, though.

softlips

Postby softlips » 30 Aug 2018, 10:15pm

Cunobelin wrote:Whilst there is a lot of animosity towards Halfords, I fail to see the problem here

I have about 14 discount from various memberships across a wide range of products

There is not a single one that does not exclude sale items from the discount

Whilst I hate to defend many of Halfords’ practices, in order to validate this criticism there needs to be proof

In my experience, sale products are never valid with other offers or discounts

This post needs examples of companies who offer multiple discounts, I.e. where discount is applied to sale items

To be fair I do agree.

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 30 Aug 2018, 10:42pm

I regularly use my CTC - sorry! - CUK membership card to get discount in Cotswold Outdoors. Never used it in an actual bike shop..,

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 31 Aug 2018, 9:29am

rotavator wrote:

I don't think they offer it online, but I certainly get it at my local Evans store. My wife got 10% off a bike with it, about £90 saved. Always worth asking.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

PH

Postby PH » 31 Aug 2018, 10:42am

mjr wrote:Wasn't the retailer offering a greater discount to its own customers than the CTC one part of why the online CTC Shop (that I think was Wiggle) closed down?

It came to the end of it's contract and wasn't renewed, describing that as closing down might mislead. It wasn't much benefit to any party, Wiggle, CTC or the members. The predecessor Bike Plus was far more in line with my idea of the CTC, yet in all the years they were the CTC shop I only bought from them once when they were the CTC shop (Dynamo) and once more since (Shoes) I'm not sure why that came to an end, or if it was a better deal for either party.
Maybe CUK will finally stop supporting LBS-killing chain stores. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

What's to learn? If anything the Wiggle experience showed that people will buy from whoever they choose regardless. I buy a fair bit from Halfords, it's local, open when I'm able to go and they already price match. Any discount is a bonus, I don't buy more because of it.
I don't support any of my LBSs, it's probably a decade since I've bought anything from them, I've never felt any of them supported me YMMV

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 1 Sep 2018, 10:35am

On a complete tangent, is there a way of getting the CUK discount online?

PH

Postby PH » 1 Sep 2018, 10:53am

ratherbeintobago wrote:On a complete tangent, is there a way of getting the CUK discount online?

The terms specifically exclude it.
You can order online to collect and I've had the discount applied then, though I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be.