How to hillstart on a steep lane

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: How to hillstart on a steep lane

Postby andrew_s » 31 Aug 2018, 11:02pm

Vorpal wrote:It obviously won't work if they are growing greenery in the middle, but if it's wide enough for a car, it's wide enough to zig-zag enough to help!

The difficult hills have greenery in the middle because, whilst the road is wide enough for a car, it's only wide enough for the car to be in one place, so both uphill cars and downhill cars wear the same tyre tracks, with muck accumulating in the un-driven on section in the middle until there's enough to grow the greenery in.

mjr

Postby mjr » 31 Aug 2018, 11:28pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:I’d be unlikely to stop if the hill was steep enough that restarting would be that difficult.

Unlikely to stop? I'd rather not start! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Sep 2018, 9:00am

The narrow lanes I refer to is impossible to zig-zag, and when on a main road, you can't due to the traffic.

If you have to stop, apply the brakes when you hold onto the bank. Don't put a foot down.
When ready, release the brakes and let go as a combined action at the same time pedalling away.
It works 100%.

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:Hills are a way of life, and people who don't understand what it's like living in a place with steep narrow lanes, will never understand the issues of day-to-day life as a cyclist in rural Devon and Cornwall.

You write like Devon and Cornwall have a monopoly on steep narrow lanes, yet Somerset has plenty of 25+% lanes steeper than most in D&C, even Bristol has a 40% (depending on the line you take) .........
The trouble down here, is that the hills are everywhere. You cannot avoid them.
Bristol has hills, and Somerset too, but there are flat rides you can do.
There ain't any round these parts.
PH wrote:Anyone would think Cornwall was the only place with hills, it hasn't even got the steepest or longest, or the best views, it's only real claim to fame is the lack of choice :wink:
Yes, lack of choice, so I feel I have something to say on this matter.

Most rides I do are about 100ft per mile of ascent. Last ride, was 38miles and 3,900ft of climbing and I never even noticed until I uploaded my stats.
Mick F. Cornwall

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 1 Sep 2018, 9:06am

Mick F wrote:The narrow lanes I refer to is impossible to zig-zag, and when on a main road, you can't due to the traffic.

If you have to stop, apply the brakes when you hold onto the bank. Don't put a foot down.
When ready, release the brakes and let go as a combined action at the same time pedalling away.
It works 100%.

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:Hills are a way of life, and people who don't understand what it's like living in a place with steep narrow lanes, will never understand the issues of day-to-day life as a cyclist in rural Devon and Cornwall.

You write like Devon and Cornwall have a monopoly on steep narrow lanes, yet Somerset has plenty of 25+% lanes steeper than most in D&C, even Bristol has a 40% (depending on the line you take) .........
The trouble down here, is that the hills are everywhere. You cannot avoid them.
Bristol has hills, and Somerset too, but there are flat rides you can do.
There ain't any round these parts.
PH wrote:Anyone would think Cornwall was the only place with hills, it hasn't even got the steepest or longest, or the best views, it's only real claim to fame is the lack of choice :wink:
Yes, lack of choice, so I feel I have something to say on this matter.

Most rides I do are about 100ft per mile of ascent. Last ride, was 38miles and 3,900ft of climbing and I never even noticed until I uploaded my stats.

It's a dramatic approach I know but the real answer is to move to Lincolnshire!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Barks

Postby Barks » 1 Sep 2018, 9:14am

Keep going and let the 4x4 wait. They obviously don’t know how to use the capabilities of their vehicle if they are slipping a clutch up a hill. Engaging 4 wheel drive and lowest gear will easily crawl up anythinga bike can get up without any over revving. And if they do know what they are doing then they trying to threaten you, ignore it make them wait.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 1 Sep 2018, 9:35am

Most rides I do are about 100ft per mile of ascent......

Yup, that's what I find, about 1:50 average gradient up on my Ciclosport altimeter and it's pretty consistent. Some years ago CJ had a classification system and 1:50 was the highest. I'm just off to do the Saturday shop, only about 2.5 miles, and the average gradient on the route using the lanes is about 1:50.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 1 Sep 2018, 10:21am

To OP.
Lots of practice is a big help.

The quick getting of foot to moving pedal.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Sep 2018, 10:29am

Barks wrote:Keep going and let the 4x4 wait...

I grew up in an area with lots of sunken lanes and steep hills. As a courtesy to other road users I would normally pull over at the first opportunity as the OP had done.

However courtesy to other road users is a two way street; if they started to behave in an impatient fashion I might well dismount and ask them just what they expected you to do, (and if, say, they would treat a rider on horseback the same way...?.) and then (rather pointedly) walk up to the next place where it was safe to pass.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Sep 2018, 10:36am

I think I'm pretty good at getting my trailing foot re-engaged when I do hill starts, but my Missus really struggles with it. So I sometimes get off and hold her upright while she gets both feet in, then give her bike a push. Just like you see with track cyclists.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 1 Sep 2018, 12:12pm

Brucey wrote:
Barks wrote:Keep going and let the 4x4 wait...

I grew up in an area with lots of sunken lanes and steep hills. As a courtesy to other road users I would normally pull over at the first opportunity as the OP had done.

However courtesy to other road users is a two way street; if they started to behave in an impatient fashion I might well dismount and ask them just what they expected you to do, (and if, say, they would treat a rider on horseback the same way...?.) and then (rather pointedly) walk up to the next place where it was safe to pass.

cheers

I didn't want to imply any particular malice on the part of the driver; it's just that the noise is rather intimidating when it's close up behind.
Anyway thanks to all for the help and next time if the hill isn't to bad I'll try lifting the wheel, shifting up 1/2 gears and then pushing off.
I have a pair of M520 double SPD and a pair of M324 single SPD. With the M520 a quick stab frequently works but sometimes not and then I'm trying to ride on top of the SPD cleat which probably doesn't do it a lot of good. With the M324 there's no time to flip the pedal over but 50% of the time I'm off riding on the plain side which is kind of OK. When conditions improve I can flip the pedal over and engage the SPD. Is it possible to deliberately turn the pedal flat side up and then start hoping it will stay put I wonder?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Sep 2018, 1:10pm

Get an e-bike?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Sep 2018, 1:16pm

Brucey wrote:However courtesy to other road users is a two way street; if they started to behave in an impatient fashion I might well dismount and ask them just what they expected you to do, (and if, say, they would treat a rider on horseback the same way...?.) and then (rather pointedly) walk up to the next place where it was safe to pass.

cheers

I was once very naughty on Haslar Bridge....

It is a single lane controlled by lights, but quite often you get cycles coming towards you that have started legitimately, but the lights give insufficient time to crest the bridge.

As a result especially on the trikes, you ride primary so that until you know the other cycle lane is clear, it prevents silly overtakes and cutting in

One day, guy behind me is beeping, shouting and revving. So I assumed there was something wrong with the trike, so being a responsible person, I stopped checked my lights were on, luggage was secure and so on, then having assure myself it was safe to continue, I did so.

Unfortunately ny this time the lights had changed and my "friend" was now faced with a line of traffic facing him ...... he had to reverse back down the bridge and let them past

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Sep 2018, 8:30pm

pwa wrote:I think I'm pretty good at getting my trailing foot re-engaged when I do hill starts, but my Missus really struggles with it. So I sometimes get off and hold her upright while she gets both feet in, then give her bike a push. Just like you see with track cyclists.

There you go OP - the solution is for you to marry pwa! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Sep 2018, 8:58pm

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:I think I'm pretty good at getting my trailing foot re-engaged when I do hill starts, but my Missus really struggles with it. So I sometimes get off and hold her upright while she gets both feet in, then give her bike a push. Just like you see with track cyclists.

There you go OP - the solution is for you to marry pwa! ;)

Only available on Tuesdays and Fridays.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 1 Sep 2018, 9:22pm

Hi,
Its called restart! and always on hills.

That's what was included in m/cycle road trials off road on muddy or rock face lanes.
The most difficult manoeuvre as you also have to lift your feet inside the box which might be just 12 feet long, dab outside for penalties.
Try it off road on gravel / mud :)
leaning on wall gate or foot in hedge with a bank is best bet...............when there is one.
Horns honking :evil: let them wait.

My stomping ground....that box is small :( On dry winters the box is halfway up hill :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.