Winter Cycling Gloves ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikerwaser

Winter Cycling Gloves ?

Post by bikerwaser »

Hi All

I'm planning to do the Scotland Highland Trail 550 this October and need some serious kit.

I've sorted all the other stuff pretty much but need to find some good gloves that will do the job.

I have a bit of a problem with cold/purple/numb fingers when it gets cold and have tried a fair few gloves over the years.

The "lobster" style were the best for warmth but I'd prefer to have a "normal" glove style if I can.

So far I'm looking at Sealskinz XP all weather cycling gloves with an addition of the Merino wool liner glove.
As far as that goes , does anyone have any experience of these gloves and also the sizing. Using the sizing chart most people give I come up as a medium but all my gloves are XL.

I've also looked at the XLC waterproof gloves that have the rain cover. If anyone has experience of these I'd like to know.

Any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bikerwaser
mattsccm

Re: Winter Cycling Gloves ?

Post by mattsccm »

Try walking type shops. Only today I picked up a pair of Goretex/insulated gloves from one of the many shops in Ambleside. 25 quid. I use them on the motorbike. Trailmates, I think are the make. Millets also stock them. Don't bother looking only at cycling specific gloves
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TKMaxx is always worth a look

If you won't be wearing them in the wet, ski gloves are generally very warm and snug. Unfortunately, they generally have a big gauntlet cuff which won't go in most sleeves.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 1 Sep 2018, 9:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1 for ski gloves. I got some from amazon for £10 and are seriously warm. Quite chunky though as stated.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

+2 for ski gloves - I got a really cosy pair from Mountain Warehouse quite cheaply. A year later a seam had split slightly in one finger. I took it back and they gave me a new pair straight away without any quibbling.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I've always found that waterproof gloves fill with sweat. I've got a pair of Sealskinz and a pair of Endura and I much prefer windproof gloves
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

At some point when it gets cold this winter I will be trying my motorcycle gloves. I reckon they will be awfull but if they could do the job at 70mph in 2degrees. They have potential.

The nice thing about the motorcycle gloves is all the bulk is on the back of hands and fingers. So the inside of the hand remains quite dexterous for control operations.
My poor poor bottom
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You could try some pogies-

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328407855 ... 2840785522

I have some but haven't used them yet, they seem to be well made for the money. I think any pogies used in conjunction with gloves will be warm enough, any issues will be to do with usability.

I've a pair of sealskinz gloves but they are not the warmest and also sweaty. I'd rather use other gloves in the cold, adding spada over mitts if it's really chucking it down. I also use some army surplus goretex overmitts over gloves when it's really cold. They are ok but not great for dexterity. I've not found a completely satisfactory solution yet but I've hopes for the pogies!
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

There is a pair of new SealSkinz Highland on the Corrieyairack Pass which I dropped which you are welcome to if you find them.
If it was me I would be thinking of layering especially if I could find a winter rated mitten either lobster or single finger that I could have Merino liner gloves inside and a spare liner pair or two as back up.

Lobsters are great on but a bit boil in the bag when the going gets hard and hard to get off with sweaty hands and worse to get back on when wet inside from rain or sweat.
Think gps and can I work it with gloves on?

Think I would seriously consider Pogies as they allow you to wear a lighter glove longer but in heavy rain its trickling down your arms so gloves get wet.

Good luck.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

A couple of pairs of those mechanics disposable gloves to use as layers if your fingers do go blue, as an emergency, super light and compact option. I suspect sweating hands by that point won't be a problem..
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

windproof gloves are similar and a little more breathable. sports direct should have the karrimors at a decent price but layering and swapping out often seems to be the best option as your hands will poach and go rotten pretty quickly unless you stop them sweating..

the best winter gloves I ever had were some salomon cross country ski gloves.

I do have some alpinstars gloves that I found, they are massive and three separate layers, an outer, a goretex liner then a fleece inner. bulky but comfortable and easy to dry at night which is always a problem.

I used to do most of my outdoors stuff in army leather goretex gloves, simple thermal liner gloves or Buffalo Mitts depending on the required dexterity.

bar mitts are certainly handy on a motorcycle and I would consider making some up or buying some for cycle use.
random37

Post by random37 »

Promise not to laugh?

I like these for winter riding:

https://www.workgloves.uk.com/products/ ... oves/18826

Wear wool gloves underneath if it's really cold.

Bear in mind they are about 70p at your local builder's merchants, so it's hardly a great expense to try them. Things get damp after a while, but for the price, you can't grumble.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have 3 styles of gloves depending on temperature.
For current cool mornings I use a thin pair (runners gloves from Aldi/Lidl) which I use under track mitts. Mainly just to keep the finger tips warm. Try your local sports shop.
For general winter a pair, again Aldi/Lidl, of their cyclist winter ones.
Now and again I double up with the runners gloves as they are thin enough to go inside.
For the really cold days out come the Ski gloves but these can be too warm sometimes.
I also sometimes carry spare gloves and swap about if gets warm or colder.

A few of us used to use Thinsulate gloves as they did the job for most days and were cheap. Look for ones that have a lining. The outer woven fleece kept out the wind but allowed the hands to breathe. The trouble though, with the lining, after a few washes this tended to come loose making them awkward to put on. But at the price no problem.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

DIY stores have various gloves, they are made to PPI standards, worth a look

Likewise winter clothes, hi-vis, hats, caps, even shoes :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've got about 6 stages of glove from summer mitts through thin convertibles all the way up to super toast ski mitts and goretec over mitts. - actually went through last winter in a warm but lightweight pair of Endura's (temps well into the minus numbers for a lot of rides..

Getting the warmth balance right is always an issue, even a change in direction can give you soggy gloves or frozen digits. I don't bother too much about waterproof (or boil in the bags as we call them around here), i'd rather be warm than maybe, in just the right conditions, dry.

I haven't tried them but those bag type affairs that attach to your bars look like a good solution.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!