Winter Cycling Gloves ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: Winter Cycling Gloves ?

Post by The utility cyclist »

I use Polaris extreme, out of production but if you can find a pair I'd recommend them highly. Very wind and water-resistant as well as good for sub zero temperatures. They have a hypora liner which is incredibly waterproof. I had a new spare pair as son was going to have them for commuting in winter but that all went pear shaped as soon as he left college and I sold them last winter.
The RSP extreme seem a good bet and at £18 aren't too costly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RSP-Extreme- ... SwK8BbMU2P

As above, 6 different levels of glove for various temperatures/conditions, though about 13 pairs in total :lol:
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I suffer from very cold fingers (white/mauve/orange) in cold weather and have tried all sorts of gloves over the years, including cycle-specific designs. The gloves I use nowadays in winter are North Face Gore Windstopper, which are not at all bulky but not too tight and keep my hands comfy. They also have a silicone grip which is much better for gripping the bars than some of the “cycling” gloves I have had in the past. They also seem to stay warm when they get damp, but may not be so good if soaked.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Thornyone wrote:I suffer from very cold fingers (white/mauve/orange) in cold weather and have tried all sorts of gloves over the years, including cycle-specific designs. The gloves I use nowadays in winter are North Face Gore Windstopper, which are not at all bulky but not too tight and keep my hands comfy. They also have a silicone grip which is much better for gripping the bars than some of the “cycling” gloves I have had in the past. They also seem to stay warm when they get damp, but may not be so good if soaked.

when soaked they act a bit like a wetsuit, the problem is they can act like a heatsink as well like most wet gloves.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

LollyKat wrote:+2 for ski gloves - I got a really cosy pair from Mountain Warehouse quite cheaply. A year later a seam had split slightly in one finger. I took it back and they gave me a new pair straight away without any quibbling.

Aldi do them now and again as well with their ski-ing stuff. I have a pair. Very nice.
Even if for some reason they leave me with the impression that the ski slopes are still stuck in some 80s/Duran Duran colourway.

By the by, I often avoid gloves with "fleece" liners - can be a right pain when the liners pull back as you extract your hand and then struggle to get the liner back in the fingers. Often prefer to layer with a separate liner. Helps gloves to dry after a downpour and also makes washing simpler.

And getting to my point, can anyone recommend a waterproof outer glove?

ie: no padding/insulation at all and no liner within that - just a waterproof layer I can put over my other gloves.

Had the impression that Mountain Warehouse did them at one time but no longer.
Sweep
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

random37 wrote:Promise not to laugh?

I like these for winter riding:

https://www.workgloves.uk.com/products/ ... oves/18826

Wear wool gloves underneath if it's really cold.

Bear in mind they are about 70p at your local builder's merchants, so it's hardly a great expense to try them. Things get damp after a while, but for the price, you can't grumble.

Hi Random37

I like your style (or lack of. Hehe!). You got me thinking there. I've seen some merino wool gloves for £10( love merino wool) . They would be really good under a pair of them. As you say, for the price , it's worth a try .

Cheers

Bikerwaser
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

£5 thermal gloves from Boyes were put on this morning.... Only 4DegC
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

These in extremis?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIYO-MTB-Mou ... 0005.m1851

Giyo does make good bike pumps.
And the pressure gauge which I recommended a while ago.

From the pics though I have the impression that bar ends on a flat bar set-up might well be a serious problem.
Sweep
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

When cold enough for full gloves I use either some uninsulated full finger MTB gloves, or if colder the Aldi winter gloves are generally terrific
Aldi ski gloves are generally well rated as well and not so expensive to discourage taking a punt on them.
I have a pair of Aldi lobsters that I've worn twice as they are just too warm. The Aldi winter stuff in in-store from 27th September. Layering up with silk or merino liners is another good option.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Thanks for all the info everyone !
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The utility cyclist wrote:I use Polaris extreme, out of production but if you can find a pair I'd recommend them highly. Very wind and water-resistant as well as good for sub zero temperatures. They have a hypora liner which is incredibly waterproof.

I've some Norwegian branded ski gloves with a hypora layer in them and they work really well.

I can keep my fingers warm down to about -5, and my hands don't get too sweaty in them until it's warm enough that I don't need them anymore.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

OP will you be using the SPOT Track my ride for the HT?
If so can you post up a link?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:By the by, I often avoid gloves with "fleece" liners - can be a right pain when the liners pull back as you extract your hand and then struggle to get the liner back in the fingers. Often prefer to layer with a separate liner. Helps gloves to dry after a downpour and also makes washing simpler.

Gloves too small? Ideally, fleece should be slightly loose so it can trap air and warm you up.

Sweep wrote:And getting to my point, can anyone recommend a waterproof outer glove?

ie: no padding/insulation at all and no liner within that - just a waterproof layer I can put over my other gloves.

Had the impression that Mountain Warehouse did them at one time but no longer.

Sealskinz mittens (bought in an end-of-season sale) did this job for me for a while, often with mitts or thin gloves inside, but they don't really make them big enough to cover ski gloves or if you're starting with big hands anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the reply mjr - will keep a look out.

Don't think my hands are very big at all, though some of my winter gloves are tight, despite being labelled "large". My Polaris ones are really tight and can get seriously sweaty. I don't trust glove sizings at all - not something to be bought online.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

These arrived today, £36 from Alpkit. Goatskin palms, pre-bring fingers, fleece lined
Goatskin Palm, fleece lining, pre-bent fingers. £36
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cycling Weekly have just tested 5 pairs of 'winter gloves' only 1 pair of which were able to keep your hands warm at near to zero temperatures. :roll:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.