The end of a bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

The end of a bicycle

Post by mercalia »

In Streatham High St there used to be a womans Ridgeback bike in nearly new condition locked to one of the cycle hoops that seem to have been abandoned for some reason opposite Argos near the charity shop in Streatham. IT Started off as an immaculate bike in almost new condition then nothing happened for a few months other than the chain got rusty, now it is down to the frame, handle bars, seat pin and cranks - someone even in the last week took the rusted solid chain. First some one pulled the seat off and left it on the ground. Then the front wheel went, then the controls and front brakes, then the rear carrier and rear wheel and the rear brakes. Really sad to see such a bike that could have given some one good service reduced to this. I dont like going past the remains to Lidls
colin54

Re: The end of a bicycle

Post by colin54 »

That's a shame as you say, it reminds me of the remains of an Apollo Frenzy which has sat

for seven (!) years that I know of.It was there when I moved to Hyde Park in Leeds in 2010

and was still there on the last street view image in 2017.Contrast it to a bike I saw locked down in the

posher city centre that had it's wheel smashed by vandals which had a removal notice from the council

on it within a week (seven days !) .

If I was you I'd be tempted to ring the local council street cleaning team to shift it if it bothers you

(and I can see why it would ).

If you notice in the picture even the bottom (only ?) headset cup has been removed bizarre.

P1040397 (567x640).jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.81479 ... 6656?hl=en

The most recent street view picture, I wouldn't mind betting it's still there to this day.

Somebody's pride and joy once......
Nu-Fogey
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

mercalia wrote:Really sad to see such a bike that could have given some one good service reduced to this.

OTOH you could see it like a transplant donor - while giving up it's own life, it's improved the prospects of many another bike.
Retour64

Post by Retour64 »

Perhaps it would be better to give us the name of the brands of locks which were able to withstand the attentions of the wandering gangs of bike thieves, which are apparently out there, with their petrol driven angle grinders? It leaves me wondering why the owners abandoned them and hoping that they are still alive.
'The nasty cyclist'
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I always wonder what the story is behind abandoned bikes: the ones that look ok, locked up with a decent lock, and just never seem to move and, as per OP, gradually get picked apart.

Did the owner forget where they parked? Were they taken ill or worse? Did they get a shiny new ride and just decide to abandon their old one rather than selling it or donating it to charity?
Zoidsberg

Post by Zoidsberg »

Rust in peace
:idea: :idea:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

brooksby wrote:I always wonder what the story is behind abandoned bikes: the ones that look ok, locked up with a decent lock, and just never seem to move and, as per OP, gradually get picked apart.

Did the owner forget where they parked? Were they taken ill or worse? Did they get a shiny new ride and just decide to abandon their old one rather than selling it or donating it to charity?

Did they just lose the key to the superlock and were unable to get a replacement?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

I think I once saw a short film, based on time lapse photography, of this phenomenon. Think it was a piece of modern art!
Or I might have dreamt it?
At an old workplace (NHS) they had a sporadic cull of abandoned bikes. Similar to what the council's do.
It was a staff only bike shed, so a bit of a surprise so many were left.
No idea as to their fate. Hopefully recycled but probably scrapped? A kindly porter let me have a 501 steel Raleigh hybrid. It was immobile for the 3 yrs I'd worked there. Most of which was salvageable after a full strip and rebuild. :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I should have taken a picture when it was intact but here it is now. Has a combination lock of no particular make
Ridgeback  carcass. click to enlarge
Ridgeback carcass. click to enlarge

As you can see the frame paint work is in nice condition. The whole bike was esp considering it had been outside for atleast 3 months
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

and now the handle bars :roll: