Technique For Climbing Hills

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Technique For Climbing Hills

Post by rmurphy195 »

As you approach the bottom of the hill - Conciously relax arms/shoulders/grip on handlebars, select a low gear that you can easily spin (stop and have a drink/blow your nose etc first if a hot day/got the sniffles etc.). Start breathing conciously in through nose, out through mouth.

As you climb - keep dropping to lower gears to keep your comfortable spin rate, until you run out! Keep a lookout fo rspots where you can stop and take a breather if you wish - somewhere to put your left foot away from roadside nettles, a shady spot on a hot sunny day, that sort of thing. And take the break if you feel it necessary! Keep up the steady breathing - but don't try and keep up your road speed, just the comfortable pedal spin speed.

Don't get off and push unless it really is too steep to pedal and/or you have a heavy load! (I've done this on a bend on a 1 in 4 with loaded panniers, (up the hill into Harlech), when I simply toppled over going so slowly)!

As you reach the top and the pedalling gets easier - delay each change up of gear, and keep up the same pedal rate, for a few seconds longer than you think necessary, this will give your legs/breathing etc time to recover.

Above all - take time to watch the scenery go by and enjoy going down the other side!

If you regularly run out of low gears far to early, consider modifying the bike. For background, mine are 20" - 110" and the 20" gets used a lot! The Brompton of course doesn't go that low so I push - oops :oops:

PS - a technique I used to use until quite recently on very quiet roads was to zigzag up the hill, but its getting less and less possible these days since the advent of satnav (think about it!)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Audax67 wrote:Spinning in a low gear is about the only option for long hills (e.g. Mt. Ventoux) but on shorties I find standing on the pedals much more fun. Someone (Richard Ballantyne?) once observed that standing on the pedals should feel like climbing stairs.

I generally use a mix so as to employ different muscle groups, or at least use my quads at a different angle and extension - and, as they put it here, so that the buttocks get a change of ideas.

A serious question: doesn't standing on the pedals accelerate drive train wear and cause chain stretch? I always use lowest gear and higher cadence when climbing hills in an effort to 'gentle' the drive train.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Airsporter1st wrote: ... A serious question: doesn't standing on the pedals accelerate drive train wear and cause chain stretch? I always use lowest gear and higher cadence when climbing hills in an effort to 'gentle' the drive train.

I think that the answer is "No."

First, the implication of some sort of elasticity in bike chains is wrong. Chain "stretch" is the result of wear. If you think about it, apart from things like neglect, dirt and lack of lubrication, chain wear is likely to be broadly in proportion to the amount of movement ie in lower gears, the chain will pass round more often than in higher gears. Try unscrewing something like a freewheel block and the amount of force which can be exerted - as demonstrated by the difficulty of removal - is greater on a block with large sprockets than one only with small ones
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

OTOH standing on the pedals using your weight to push a higher gear surely puts more pressure on the chainring teeth? My husband is a great high-gear honker(!) and wears out or at least has to rotate his chainrings regularly as they become hooked.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Airsporter1st wrote: A serious question: doesn't standing on the pedals accelerate drive train wear and cause chain stretch? I always use lowest gear and higher cadence when climbing hills in an effort to 'gentle' the drive train.

From an engineers perspective...
It's likely that the increased force has an influence on wear, both on the chain, and the chain ring. That is slightly offset by fewer cycles per mile (bigger gears). How much difference is hard to say; likely small for a light rider who keeps their drivetrain clean.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

LollyKat wrote:OTOH standing on the pedals using your weight to push a higher gear surely puts more pressure on the chainring teeth? My husband is a great high-gear honker(!) and wears out or at least has to rotate his chainrings regularly as they become hooked.

Perhaps you are making the wrong comparison. It's not so much how your strong hubby compares with us puny weaklings as much as what would be the effect of him twiddling lower gears. :?
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

OK ... so I went for hills today .... with a couple of not so pleasant ones .... and I guess maybe I'm fitter from the riding I've been doing than I thought and only had to get off and walk for a bit for one short 50 yd stretch which as much as anything was a chance to catch breath.

No I don't like them, I'm never going to win a race up one and I'm definitely not converted and will still avoid like the plague .... although ..... we climbed, and climbed and climbed, some f it long and gentle which I find absolutely fine and some of it quite a bit steeper ..... we were rewarded at the end of it with an absolutely mahhhousive downhill afterwards for what seemed like ages ... all I need to do now is find a van to take me to the top next time :lol:

Seriously though a big thank you to everyone, I recounted all the things people had posted mainly relaxing / breathing and finding a suitable cadence and was all extremely useful!!!

I also put in my longest ride ever today ... 40 miles on a 29er ... the charity ride I'm doing and is the reason I asked is 52 miles with hills and the is a couple of weeks away but now have the confidence to think I can definitely do it despite being completely cream crackered at the end of the ride today.

Again ... a big thank you to all :)
drossall

Post by drossall »

Witterings is getting the bug... :D
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Witterings wrote:OK ... so I went for hills today .... with a couple of not so pleasant ones .... and I guess maybe I'm fitter from the riding I've been doing than I thought and only had to get off and walk for a bit for one short 50 yd stretch which as much as anything was a chance to catch breath.

No I don't like them, I'm never going to win a race up one and I'm definitely not converted and will still avoid like the plague .... although ..... we climbed, and climbed and climbed, some f it long and gentle which I find absolutely fine and some of it quite a bit steeper ..... we were rewarded at the end of it with an absolutely mahhhousive downhill afterwards for what seemed like ages ... all I need to do now is find a van to take me to the top next time :lol:

Seriously though a big thank you to everyone, I recounted all the things people had posted mainly relaxing / breathing and finding a suitable cadence and was all extremely useful!!!

I also put in my longest ride ever today ... 40 miles on a 29er ... the charity ride I'm doing and is the reason I asked is 52 miles with hills and the is a couple of weeks away but now have the confidence to think I can definitely do it despite being completely cream crackered at the end of the ride today.

Again ... a big thank you to all :)

Congratulations on the longest ride achievement.

On a club ride I'm often near the back during the hill climbs, looking with envy at the sprogs and 9-stoners dancing away to the top as though the hill wasn't there. Still, you learn to find pleasure in a bit of suffering. Is this not a dominant thread in many traditions of cycling? The point is ... it's nice when it stops.

Then the endorphins kick in. Soon you're addicted. This is how runners end up running even when their knees have collapsed and it hurts for miles. Becoming a masochist tells you that at last you are Real Cyclist! :-)

Here's some techniques for making the most of hills.

* Plot a route that takes you up the hill with the wind in your back with gravity overcoming the same wind on the road back.

* As you seem to have already done, find steep climbs to go up (they make you better at it) with a descent on the other side that's a fraction of the slope and therefore lasts for miles and ages. I hate it when the 20 minute height gain is lost on the other side in about 2 minutes. (Yes, I mean you, West Wales)!

Cugel, always looking for the gain from the pain.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes