Interfering stranger lecturing my son about bike clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: Interfering stranger lecturing my son about bike clothing

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One
A long way from Vyrnwy

Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Zigster wrote:I'd be furious if a stranger started lecturing my son on something which was none of his business.

A child is not a possession over which parents have the sole ownership rights ... although many do treat their children in this way, employing them as ideology or religion repositories in the worst cases. Some treat them as dollies, through which they attempt to act out the modes they themselves cannot achieve.

Others get bored with them, as they would a hoola hoop; and so they end up in a virtual attic or cupboard under the stairs.

Is the former preferable to the latter? I feel neither is any good and that children, like other humans, should be treated as people.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

bovlomov wrote:
drossall wrote:This thread is the first I can remember that started with (an account of) someone telling off another rider for wearing a helmet, i.e. the other way around to normal. That's what makes it so remarkable to me.

Reminds me of the recent government consultation about home education (sorry to digress!). Among the catalogue of the potential dangers it was suggested that parents may not have asked the children whether they want to be home educated. It's a fair point, but it didn't seem to have occurred to the authors of the paper that no one ever asks school educated children whether they want to be at school. Myself - I would have loved the opportunity to decide.

Anyway, the point is that the orthodoxy is never seen as a choice. It is the natural way from which any deviation needs to be justified. The helmet is the default and the choice is made not to wear one. Until recently it was the same with beards. "Why have you grown a beard?" was the common question, even though the growing of a beard required no choice. Shaven people are rarely asked why they have no beard.

It's taken me years to unlearn some of the "life skills" I was taught in schools. How that method of education ever came to be seen as normal is beyond me.

Cyril Haearn wrote:+1,+1
Both are valid
Children could be educated in AND out of school. In fact they are, I learnt lots on holiday and visiting the grandparents and cycling/hostelling
Shaving is abnormal! Wiki explains how men were conned into it to sell razor blades
Mind, just read a free lifestyle mag. A barber recommends **oiling**!! ones beard twice a day and getting it trimmed every two weeks (€€€!), he says that beards have recently become fashionable or socially acceptable! :wink:
Anyone here shave? Why?

I shave for w*rk reasons, we use respirators often enough to make it worth keeping part of my own face smooth rather than relying on female volunteers from another lab. Still not convinced about the aerodynamic benefits though. :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

slowster wrote:OP, did you notice how the woman who was with the old man behaved when you challenged him about how he had spoken to your son?

Yes the lady said nothing at all.When I caught her eye she appeared to give a slight smile.Not sarcastic in anyway but more like just acknowledging me?

mjr wrote:You seem to have missed the post that started that subthread with its "insurance requirement" myth, which now stands unchallenged in this thread again!

I am under the impression from both this and his last CC that it is a requirement for CCs who run GoRide to have Insurance and this requires the wearing of certain protective equipment.
I will ask on Saturday to clarify this.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

there was always one person '' who knows best''
I was taken to task for wearing the wrong socks a couple of years ago by a ''gent'' from a local cycle club ......He made such a fuss and tried to make me look stupid in front of his full kit ******s !!!!
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

cyclemad wrote:I was taken to task for wearing the wrong socks a couple of years ago by a ''gent'' from a local cycle club

Did you find out what was wrong with your socks? Until now I've not given socks much thought, but perhaps I should.
meic

Post by meic »

In my case it is normally that I have worn them with sandals.
Yma o Hyd
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

bovlomov wrote:
cyclemad wrote:I was taken to task for wearing the wrong socks a couple of years ago by a ''gent'' from a local cycle club

Did you find out what was wrong with your socks? Until now I've not given socks much thought, but perhaps I should.

It’s the too long/too short debate probably :roll:
The wrong colour also seems to come up too.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Riding with loose sock straps :wink: ?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just switched over to my longer socks for commuting. Well I don't need the shorter socks for the lower down ran line because I'm unlikely to tan anymore this year.

Seriously though it has hit a bit cooler of late and my kalf merino socks really felt nice and warm yesterday. Autumn is here and I'm wearing my winter socks! I've hit nothing warmer for the coldest months. What's a good pair to get for winter commuting? Not bothered about some old person telling me off for the wrong socks. Just want warm feet for winter.

BTW when is the shorts to full or 3/4 length changeover considered acceptable?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
BTW when is the shorts to full or 3/4 length changeover considered acceptable?

I think you may find that only plus fours with socks of the correct length and fit are acceptable. To be sure of avoiding lectures on dress etiquette in cafes they should be worn with a Norfolk jacket.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My grandad used to ride a bike like that. Never had plus fours but he did wear his BR uniform as it was his commuter.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

He's going to catch his foot in the mudguard.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
fionat

Post by fionat »

Tangled Metal wrote:What's a good pair to get for winter commuting?

I wear sealskinz - waterproof, but that makes them windproof too.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Tangled Metal wrote:Autumn is here and I'm wearing my winter socks! I've hit nothing warmer for the coldest months. What's a good pair to get for winter commuting? Not bothered about some old person telling me off for the wrong socks. Just want warm feet for winter.

What footwear are you using? Rather than trying to find warmer socks than what you already have, it might be more effective to change your footwear.