...what's happened to Cycle2Charge?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

...what's happened to Cycle2Charge?

Post by freiston »

I've been eyeing up dynamo powered USB charging for some time now and had decided on a Cycle2Charge unit, to be purchased later this month when my redundancy money comes through (a blessing by all accounts). The other day I checked the Amazon link that I had bookmarked to discover they are "currently unavailable" - but the Cycle2Charge website had them for sale so I wasn't too bothered. I checked the Cycle2Charge website shop just now and it now says "Our Online-shop is currently not available But you are able to purchase the Cycle2Charge via Amazon".

Looks like I'm going to have to reconsider my options :(
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cyril Haearn

Re: ...what's happened to Cycle2Charge?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wait five minutes, then try again :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
freiston

Post by freiston »

I was a bit "worse for wear" when I made the OP :wink:. I do hope that this is nothing more than a stock control/technical issue - I see that the German Amazon site still has them.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

You could email the owner/proprietor and ask him about the missing Amazon.co.uk listing?

Dirk Langhuber
Goerdelerstraße 5a
33102 Paderborn
Deutschland

Telefon: 015161433102
E-Mail: info@cycle2charge.de

In the interests of science, I just logged into the German Amazon site with my UK details and made it to the last screen, with my UK address and credit card pre-filled, and was one click away from ordering a Cycle2Charge v2 with standard delivery for £59.44. I think I even managed to avoid signing up for Amazon Prime (fingers crossed!). I didn't buy one, as I already have the v1 which is good, but you have to pedal faster to get full power. The exchange rate is £0.93 - 1€ so not the best.

Probably best to ask the owner / proprietor re. Amazon UK, but if all else fails Amazon.de might work.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Thanks, backnotes. I should have the funds soon, so I'll try again then and use the German Amazon if the UK one still shows as unavailable. If that fails, then I'll email Dirk Langhuber.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Well I've just had my email from Amazon.de saying my order has been dispatched. :D . Panic over :wink: 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

freiston wrote:Well I've just had my email from Amazon.de saying my order has been dispatched. :D . Panic over :wink: 8)

Can you report back on how you are finding it?
Which version do you have? I gather that there is now a version 3.
Sweep
freiston

Post by freiston »

Sweep wrote:
freiston wrote:Well I've just had my email from Amazon.de saying my order has been dispatched. :D . Panic over :wink: 8)

Can you report back on how you are finding it?
Which version do you have? I gather that there is now a version 3.

Hi Sweep, I have to say that I haven't used it aside from testing when I first got it (but it does remain permanently fitted to the top of the steerer) - my rationale for having it is to cover my back and be able to top up my power-bank if away from home for a night or more - which hasn't happened since I fitted it. I managed to successfully increase the charge on my phone (Samsung s5 mini) directly on a short (5 mile) ride including about five minutes queuing (stop/start/crawl/stop stuff) in rush hour traffic. I was using the phone with Osmand maps on screen and the charging did keep stopping and starting according to my speed - I can't properly recall the speed that the charging stopped/started at but I think it was about 7 mph. It topped up the power-bank without issue too. One thing I do find is that it is very stiff to twist the top cap from open to closed and vice versa. I have version 2 - I didn't realise that version 3 was a thing until your post. I bought the handlebar adapter too but ended up not using it - can't remember why but it was either because it didn't fit or because I couldn't find anywhere suitable to fit it (where it would fit).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks freiston.

Pity you haven't been able to test more but that does sound rather positive, particularly the 7mph.

If I go down the dynamo charging route it will be to charge a powerbank, not a running device.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

My cycle2 charge arrived today. Bought it on the amazon de site.£66 delivered.
Got email from amazon on sunday out for delivery, then at 6-30pm got text to say package was damaged on delivery and will be returned to amazon and i will be refunded. So i ordered another v3. Got another email on monday to say out for delivery. That was quick i thought. Checked on my amazon and it appears its the first order. So looks like another will turn up on friday. Dont know yet if ive paid for 2 or what.
Anyway fitted it afterwork. Read some where to apply vaseline around the plug to keep out damp which i thought was a good idea so did that. Tested charging several devices dab, transistor radio, gopro copy, phone, all charged ok I guess at about 7 mph. Dont have a speedo fitted so not sure. Went into town and back and charged my powerbank. In town i disconected due to stop start at lights and junctions to avoid damaging my powerbank battery.
Hopeing to go out for the weekend so shall have a better idea how it performs on a decent run. But looks promising so far. Feels like a nice bit of kit though. Shall report back.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for this nick.

look forward to hearing more reports.

In the meantime, why were you worried by damage caused at junctions?
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Its just a theory that if you stop start then maybe the battery will not accept its full capacity. I could be wrong, but anyhow i was struggling to do a decent speed and it would only be short charges. Do you think that it will not affect the battery?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I wouldn't have thought it would be a great problem, but not my area of expertise so will await others thoughts on this issue, or non issue.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Forgot to report back on how the cycle2charge performed, so i did about 60miles a ride from york to harrogate and on to ilkley. The route i took was hilly so a fair bit of steady climbing and some fairly fast downhill. Not having a speedo fitted means I dont know what speeds i crawled up hill likewise how fast i decended.
My powerbank is 20,000 Mah and i charged the powerbank by 6% that night i recharged my phone which took 6% aswell to top it up. So it appears to do the job ok. I must fit a cycle computer to help know if I need to give it a little more umph on the hills to maintain the 7mph needed for minimum charge. I went at my ussual speed on the ride so it seems to work for me.
Shame i didnt have it on my recent tour which would have given it a good testing. Next bank holiday shall be out on the mtb tourer so shall see.
I have a isis free loader solar powerpack which i took this bank holiday and with the good weather that charged my phone and dab. Only used my main powerpack once over the six days i was away.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote:Forgot to report back on how the cycle2charge performed, so i did about 60miles a ride from york to harrogate and on to ilkley. The route i took was hilly so a fair bit of steady climbing and some fairly fast downhill. Not having a speedo fitted means I dont know what speeds i crawled up hill likewise how fast i decended.
My powerbank is 20,000 Mah and i charged the powerbank by 6% that night i recharged my phone which took 6% aswell to top it up. So it appears to do the job ok. I must fit a cycle computer to help know if I need to give it a little more umph on the hills to maintain the 7mph needed for minimum charge. I went at my ussual speed on the ride so it seems to work for me.
Shame i didnt have it on my recent tour which would have given it a good testing. Next bank holiday shall be out on the mtb tourer so shall see.
I have a isis free loader solar powerpack which i took this bank holiday and with the good weather that charged my phone and dab. Only used my main powerpack once over the six days i was away.

Sorry nick_ don't entirely follow your post. Are you saying that the 60 mile ride charged your 20,000mha powerbank 6 per cent?
Sweep