Rack bag recommendations?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Rack bag recommendations?

Post by rmurphy195 »

I use one of these on my Brompton rack, been very pleased with it https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/rack-p ... a-rack-bag

A bit cheaper than the Super C, and the rear pocket holds a cover that can be pulled over the bag in wet weather, probably because of the zip-up top instead of a foldover one. I haven't used it in prolonged wet weather so an't comment on its performance in this respect.

Mine expands upwards enough to hold a small thermos flask (upright).

My version must be an older one, the side pockets don't fold down like panniers so if you are considering buying one, and its an important feature, check this aspect first.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

The EBC pack (if it's the same as mine) was simply a rebadged Vaude model. Mine is also on its last legs so I've been looking around for a replacement.

It turns out Vaude still make an updated version of the same rackpack: the Silkroad. It even comes in three different sizes, and like the old EBC one it has 4-point fixing and a bottle holder (on the large size at least). From the photos it looks like they've improved the fixing straps.

And if that's not enough, the M and L sizes are in the sale at Evans Cycles at the moment, coming in at £29.70 and £34.20 respectively. Final box ticked?
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

AndyK wrote:The EBC pack (if it's the same as mine) was simply a rebadged Vaude model. Mine is also on its last legs so I've been looking around for a replacement.

It turns out Vaude still make an updated version of the same rackpack: the Silkroad. It even comes in three different sizes, and like the old EBC one it has 4-point fixing and a bottle holder (on the large size at least). From the photos it looks like they've improved the fixing straps.

And if that's not enough, the M and L sizes are in the sale at Evans Cycles at the moment, coming in at £29.70 and £34.20 respectively. Final box ticked?

I was tempted by the Carradice Super C bag but wasn’t entirely happy about the height in relation to my saddle. Also tempted by the Altura Lite, where the tapered height seems better, but I’ve decided to order (picking up in-store) the Vaude L from Evans, so fingers crossed when I try to fit my lock in it and if it does fit then this bag should certainly tick the boxes :)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thornyone wrote:
AndyK wrote:The EBC pack (if it's the same as mine) was simply a rebadged Vaude model. Mine is also on its last legs so I've been looking around for a replacement.

I was tempted by the Carradice Super C bag but wasn’t entirely happy about the height in relation to my saddle. Also tempted by the Altura Lite, where the tapered height seems better, but I’ve decided to order (picking up in-store) the Vaude L from Evans, so fingers crossed when I try to fit my lock in it and if it does fit then this bag should certainly tick the boxes :)

You could be right about the Carradice. It is quite big, which is a good thing but only if you have room. I can imagine it interfering with a low saddle.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

pwa wrote:You could be right about the Carradice. It is quite big, which is a good thing but only if you have room. I can imagine it interfering with a low saddle.

Here it avoids the saddle by being mounted far back on the rack - the OP should be able to do this as his Thorn rack is long.

I believe it is a Manx cat.
pwa

Post by pwa »

LollyKat wrote:
pwa wrote:You could be right about the Carradice. It is quite big, which is a good thing but only if you have room. I can imagine it interfering with a low saddle.

Here it avoids the saddle by being mounted far back on the rack - the OP should be able to do this as his Thorn rack is long.

I believe it is a Manx cat.

It is a long rack, mine is about 38cm from front bar to rear light plate, which is a lot longer than my Tubus Cargo. Another factor is the distance of the rack mounting points (near the hub) from the bottom bracket, which is partly but not wholly down to seat stay length. That influences how far a rack is from the seat post and varies from one bike to another.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi Thorneyone,

When I read this in addition to the ideas/options already mentioned above the Deuter Rack Top Bag popped into my mind as a potential bag option to consider.

https://aushiker.com/dueter-rack-top-pack/

However when I search for it on sale i’m now struggling to find it and so I wonder if Deuter have now discontinued it. But if it is of interest some shops might still have on in stock.

Good luck finding the right bag for you. This post has also given me a good chuckle due to the image of the cat on the bag.

John
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Thornyone wrote:
pwa wrote:https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/rack-packs-stuff-sacks/super-c-rackbag

More money than you budgeted for, so you may reject it on that basis. But for me it is the best bit of luggage ever. So long as your rack isn't narrow on top. Rugged, hard wearing material, simple velcro fixing, and it just feels like it is made to last. Contents stay dry. Mine has been going for a long time and looks set to last and last. And made in Lancashire. Could be too tall, so worth checking.

Thanks. I have Carradry Panniers from Spa and would be very happy with another Carradice product, but am not sure looking at the dimensions that it is wide enough to take my ‘D’ lock (6.25”/16cm wide at base). Also, is it flexible enough to allow a bit of compression? My rack is wide and long.

My SUper C rack bag is 7.5 inches wide and will give a little more
Rich
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thornyone wrote:1) attaches with four velcro straps (I don’t want a fancy “footplate” type of attachment)

I'm not questioning your choice but I have one 4-strap rack bag and one 2-strap and I don't regard either as 100% satisfactory. The latter fell off once (contained all my valuables and I cycled back two miles to retrieve it - thanks to the kind person on the Macclesfield canal BTW). The 4-strap struggles to get the straps to meet the velcro. I think both are excellent pieces of luggage but I don't think the fastening is their best feature.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

horizon wrote:
Thornyone wrote:1) attaches with four velcro straps (I don’t want a fancy “footplate” type of attachment)

I'm not questioning your choice but I have one 4-strap rack bag and one 2-strap and I don't regard either as 100% satisfactory. The latter fell off once (contained all my valuables and I cycled back two miles to retrieve it - thanks to the kind person on the Macclesfield canal BTW). The 4-strap struggles to get the straps to meet the velcro. I think both are excellent pieces of luggage but I don't think the fastening is their best feature.

I would never rely on the four velcro straps alone to hold a bag. I too lost a rack top bag years ago, which could not be found on re-tracing my route. It contained a good D-lock (presumably useless without keys), some nice bike tools, and my swimming kit :(
So for the last six years, when using my 4-velcro-strap Revolution bag I have also used a long 2 inch wide Velcro strap which wraps around the bag and under the top of the rack. This is totally secure, holding the heavily laden bag in place during numerous “acrobatics” :lol: on black ice etc. It also has the advantage, when pulled snug, of preventing any rattling of the bag contents (I am a fanatical hater of rattles). The velcro strap (from Amazon) is sometimes a bit difficult to undo, so effective is its hook-and-loop performance.

I actually collected the Vaude bag from Evans yesterday and am very pleased with it, but would not rely on the bag’s velcro straps alone (though the straps do meet satisfactorily on my Thorn rack), and am now using my velcro strap with it.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Rich_Clements wrote:
Thornyone wrote:
pwa wrote:https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/rack-packs-stuff-sacks/super-c-rackbag

More money than you budgeted for, so you may reject it on that basis. But for me it is the best bit of luggage ever. So long as your rack isn't narrow on top. Rugged, hard wearing material, simple velcro fixing, and it just feels like it is made to last. Contents stay dry. Mine has been going for a long time and looks set to last and last. And made in Lancashire. Could be too tall, so worth checking.

Thanks. I have Carradry Panniers from Spa and would be very happy with another Carradice product, but am not sure looking at the dimensions that it is wide enough to take my ‘D’ lock (6.25”/16cm wide at base). Also, is it flexible enough to allow a bit of compression? My rack is wide and long.

My SUper C rack bag is 7.5 inches wide and will give a little more

I would have liked the Super C bag but the height of the bag on my vertically-challenged person’s “fairy bike” :lol: precluded it.
Last edited by Thornyone on 14 Sep 2018, 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

John_S wrote:Hi Thorneyone,

When I read this in addition to the ideas/options already mentioned above the Deuter Rack Top Bag popped into my mind as a potential bag option to consider.

https://aushiker.com/dueter-rack-top-pack/

However when I search for it on sale i’m now struggling to find it and so I wonder if Deuter have now discontinued it. But if it is of interest some shops might still have on in stock.

Good luck finding the right bag for you. This post has also given me a good chuckle due to the image of the cat on the bag.

John

Thanks. In fact I opted for the large Vaude Silk Road bag on sale from Evans. It looks pretty similar to the Deuter with the same somewhat wedge-shaped profile which is ideal with my rather low saddle.