Cycling UK's waterproof Jacket?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oneten

Cycling UK's waterproof Jacket?

Post by oneten »

Hi - I want to buy a new cycling jacket after having had good service out of my last one, an Altura Blitz, which has now become very tatty. I like the look of the men's one in the Cycling UK shop ( sounds good and affordable) but have not found any reviews online. Being a Cycling UK product, I'm assuming it represents good quality and value but I'd be grateful for any comments from others who use this jacket mainly concerning waterproof vs breathability etc. M.any thanks!
eileithyia

Re: Cycling UK's waterproof Jacket?

Post by eileithyia »

Well it looks pretty ok for that price and made by / developed by Endura.... just looks far too heavy and hot for me, but that's a personal choice.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Looking through Endura's range, it seems to be a Gridlock II Jacket with CUK branding; Endura appear to have discontinued this particular model, but it got decent enough reviews. Like most commuter waterproofs it seems to have good waterproofing but average breathability.
oneten

Post by oneten »

Thanks both Eileithyia and JacobW for your helpful replies. I've tracked down the Endura Gridlock 2 that you recognised Jacob and it seems to be the same jacket. Price on Chain Reaction and Wiggle similar to CUK's but reduced to £49.99 on cyclestore.co.uk. It does seem to be identical apart from the CUK logo. The reviews all seem pretty positive too so I'm probably going to go for this one! :)
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

oneten wrote:Thanks both Eileithyia and JacobW for your helpful replies. I've tracked down the Endura Gridlock 2 that you recognised Jacob and it seems to be the same jacket. Price on Chain Reaction and Wiggle similar to CUK's but reduced to £49.99 on cyclestore.co.uk. It does seem to be identical apart from the CUK logo. The reviews all seem pretty positive too so I'm probably going to go for this one! :)

That's the type I bought a few years ago (in red).
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

It is indeed an Endura Gridlock II. It turns out Cycling UK trustees each get given one to use for official purposes so I didn't have to pay for mine. (At least I think I didn't: no invoice has turned up yet.) Invite me to your local member group AGM and I'll come along and model it for you. :D

It seems very good quality: ripstop outer, chest and rear pockets with good zips, cheery orange mesh liner. It's quite short at the back and not really pocket-packable - definitely more of a commuter jacket than a road or touring top.

The label claims 10,000mm waterproofing and 10,000g breathability but I have to admit I haven't tested this in anger yet.

Check the size chart before ordering. with my 38" chest and 32" waist I normally take M or L in cycling gear, but in this case I found that size S was fine even with a couple of layers of "normal" (non-cycling) clothing underneath.

And yes, you could buy one cheaper without the Cycling UK branding, but wouldn't you rather support a good cause? :wink:
oneten

Post by oneten »

Thanks Andy, it sounds like it's a very good jacket. And yes, I'd rather have the CUK logo!
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

I've got two Gridlocks. Echo everything Andy said.

Durable and waterproof and good enough for sub zero temps when worn as three layer set up.

But not packable as it's more of a commuter jacket.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »