Rear View Mirror

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
swansonj

Postby swansonj » 22 Apr 2008, 3:09pm

Another vote for mirrors. Particularly for commuting in traffic it improves general road and traffic awareness no end. A specific use is waiting for a gap in traffic to pull out into - you can keep cycling forward slowly while monitoring traffic coming up behind you in the mirror, whereas I don't like cycling forward while constantly looking over my shoulder. But generally in traffic, surely ANY aid to road awareness is worth having?

I use Mirrycles (sp?) - one on my solo but two on the tandem - originally because I fitted a left hand one for cycling in Spain, but then it became jolly useful to have one set at the angle for looking at traffic and one for looking at the child sitting behind you!

John

byegad

Postby byegad » 22 Apr 2008, 3:33pm

WesBrooks wrote:

Nice diagram!

A single helmet or glasses mirror can be used to cover almost all of the grey areas light and dark.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 22 Apr 2008, 4:04pm

Question to non mirror uses
Your cycling along and you see a large pothole what do you do
A. Pull out and go round it without looking behind you
B. Look behind you then pull out
If it's "B" on a ride today you would be better to have sat the wrong way on the saddle as there were so many and if it was "A" don't you run the risk of pulling out on a car

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 Apr 2008, 4:20pm

numbnuts wrote:Question to non mirror uses
If it's "B" on a ride today you would be better to have sat the wrong way on the saddle as there were so many and if it was "A" don't you run the risk of pulling out on a car

I've actually had cyclists (one in particular)try to tell me that mirrors are completely unecessary but went quiet when I pointed out that he wouldn't want to drive his car without them :)

HJRW

Rear View Mirror

Postby HJRW » 23 Apr 2008, 7:50pm

Wow ! - What a response to my enquiry ! - Well thanks - EVERYONE - and the posts'll probably keep coming in ! This Forum is excellent. Well we all have our views (pardon the pun) - bar mirror, helmet mirror, spectacle mirror, & no mirror - it's what suits the individual that counts. So I got what I thought'd be right for me, the Cateye Race mirror for my bar end. I'll probably get lynched by you all, but I couldn't settle with it. a) - I felt the fish eye view needed too much concentration for my taste - maybe I'm too set in my ways, but I felt more comfortable relying on ears & shoulder checks. b) - The mirror, though of faultless design, encroached on my ability to move my hand around the bar to relieve pins & needles. It also seemed vulnerable when parking bike in shed etc - at worst in danger of being broken, at best, being regularly put out of adjustment. Having broken into my handlebar grip for this, I replaced the grips with Ergon grips, which have the wee 'devil's horn' things - so I've traded mirror vision for variety & comfort of grip. Y' pays yirr money & takes yirr choices - If we all started with the same bike, 6 months later they would all have different fitments.

I take what's said about mirrors in cars being indispensable - ditto when I'm driving a bus - but just somehow a bike seems different - ah well, vive la difference ! - Thanks again everyone & cycle safe !
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8

jake

Postby jake » 24 Apr 2008, 12:17am

I'm intrigued that in this lengthy thread no one has mentioned the "Bike-Eye" mirror that attaches to the frame just above the forks. It's advertised regularly in Cycle magazine and appears to have the "blessing" of Phil Liggett!!
Has anyone tried it?

Bob S

Postby Bob S » 24 Apr 2008, 7:59am

jake wrote:I'm intrigued that in this lengthy thread no one has mentioned the "Bike-Eye" mirror that attaches to the frame just above the forks. It's advertised regularly in Cycle magazine and appears to have the "blessing" of Phil Liggett!!
Has anyone tried it?

No use with D/T shifters

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Apr 2008, 10:07am

jake wrote:I'm intrigued that in this lengthy thread no one has mentioned the "Bike-Eye" mirror that attaches to the frame just above the forks. It's advertised regularly in Cycle magazine and appears to have the "blessing" of Phil Liggett!!
Has anyone tried it?

It isn't any good if you have a saddlebag,rackbag,panniers(possibly) and must a have quite a limited field of view as you're looking between your legs and the seat tube is in the way too.
IMO when I first saw them I didn't think they were a goer.

HJRW

Rear View Mirror

Postby HJRW » 24 Apr 2008, 11:52am

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks Jake - didn't know it existed, had a look on Google, it looks well worth a try :)
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8

john4703

Postby john4703 » 24 Apr 2008, 8:33pm

thirdcrank wrote:Incidentally, I've never understood why it is said to be necessary to look over your shoulder even if you have a decent mirror. Drivers are not expected to do this, except when setting off so why should two-wheeler riders? I know it is said to give a clue to observant road users that you are about to manoeuvre but I am happy to do that with hand signals.

I decided to try my commute today and rely entirely on my bar end mirror. My route includes some very busy roads I had no problems at all until I was on the right hand side of a one way street and needed to pull out to the left to overtake a parked car, that was the one time that my cats eye bar end mirror was no use. I'm thinking of following advice on here and buying another for the left side.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 24 Apr 2008, 10:21pm

C. Bunnyhop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
May the wind always be at your rear!

noonoosdad

Postby noonoosdad » 25 Apr 2008, 10:32am

:D I've given up using a bar end mirror as I just couldn't get the view fully to the rear. Instead, I am now using a Helmet mounted mirror from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYCLEAWARE-REFLEX ... m153.l1262
Took a little bit of getting used to but once you position the mirror properly it's great for keep an eye traffic coming up from behind.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Apr 2008, 11:21am

Should be handy to spot the people who hate long links creeping up behind you with a dagger :wink:

lauriematt

Postby lauriematt » 25 Apr 2008, 12:22pm

on the other hand...its another thing to carry around with you...another thing that could be stolen?!?!?!

plus it widens the bike...so youd struggle to get past bollarrds...or between cars!?!?!?

i prefer not to use them

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 25 Apr 2008, 12:22pm

Why, what would mirror users do.

Do they have an alternative choice that cyclists that don't use mirrors have.