Building a touring bike for my boyfriend- clueless and need help!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bikequestions

Building a touring bike for my boyfriend- clueless and need help!

Post by Bikequestions »

Hello everyone,

Please be patient with me as my knowledge on bikes is pretty basic. My boyfriend built his own bike from scratch, and it got stolen. His birthday is coming up and i want to suprise him with a new bike. I have a very low budget, but I know he will love a fixer-upper, and I just want to start him off with a decent frame. I’ll try to get a second hand one on eBay. Id like to know- for building a touring bicycle that he can load up and go long distance on, is it best to get a road bike frame, a mountain bike frame, and does it matter either way? I have my eye on a few bikes- a raleigh, a marlboro (a brand I can find no info on) a Dawes, a merida, and a carrera. Which of these makes considered better? And is there any bike-lore I am missing surrounding them? :P my boyfriend is a bit of a bike geek and I worry I’ll accidentally buy him a bike that is ‘uncool’ in bike circles or something.

Your expert opinions are very much appreciated !

Thanks so much

B
Vorpal

Re: Building a touring bike for my boyfriend- clueless and need help!

Post by Vorpal »

Welcome to the forum!

It's a lovely idea, but I wouldn't recommend buying anything without consulting your boyfriend. The chances of making a (possibly expensive) mistake are high. Most people investing the time and effort into building their own touring bike will be quite particular as to requirements.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Totally agree with the last post. Best thing you can do is to support the idea and say you'd love to pay for a part of it
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Vorpal wrote:Welcome to the forum!

It's a lovely idea, but I wouldn't recommend buying anything without consulting your boyfriend. The chances of making a (possibly expensive) mistake are high. Most people investing the time and effort into building their own touring bike will be quite particular as to requirements.

+ 3. I'm afraid that buying a mountain bike frame for a roadie, would be similar to buying a pint of lager for a real ale fanatic!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bikequestions wrote: for building a touring bicycle that he can load up and go long distance on, is it best to get a road bike frame, a mountain bike frame, and does it matter either way?

None of the above. There are bikes frames made especially for touring.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:
Bikequestions wrote: for building a touring bicycle that he can load up and go long distance on, is it best to get a road bike frame, a mountain bike frame, and does it matter either way?

Well, just to muddy the waters, I think that a 1990s steel mountain bike frame makes a very good base for a touring bike for many, including round-the-worlders, which is probably far enough :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Welcome to the forum. What a lovely lady you are, however I would reiterate what others have said; get your head together with your boyfriend and offer to pay for some or all of the replacement bike for his birthday.

I had some very definite ideas and some knowledge but still learnt loads the first time I sat down and planned a bike from frame upwards. I had one 'other half' who I would not let near my bikes other than some basic fettling of brakes or mudguards.... otherwise I would have ended up with a bike with kit from the 1950's on it. :!: :!:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If he really liked his old bike, then posting a photo, if you have one, would be a great starting point. Touring bikes are many different things to many different people, you can tour on pretty much any bicycle from a folding bike to an all out race bike. Hence the comments about mountain bikes above.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
RickH

Post by RickH »

Could you get him a gift voucher so he can choose something that he likes?

Many good local bike shops plus chains like Evans will do something.

If you aren't sure where to go tell us roughly what part of the country you are in & I'm sure there will be recommendations.

Alternatively - buy him something like a small bike pump but wrap a wadge of cash & a suitable message to say what it is for round the barrel before you wrap it up! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

RickH wrote:Could you get him a gift voucher so he can choose something that he likes?

Many good local bike shops plus chains like Evans will do something.

If you aren't sure where to go tell us roughly what part of the country you are in & I'm sure there will be recommendations.

Alternatively - buy him something like a small bike pump but wrap a wadge of cash & a suitable message to say what it is for round the barrel before you wrap it up! :D

Helms cartoon: a FSO frame-shaped-object.. "actually it's just a pair of brake blocks rather cleverly wrapped" hihe

Was it his only bike?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:Welcome to the forum!

+4 to that. It's easy to get the wrong thing, and that may upset you both.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlboro-Oly ... Sw9RdbCYqc

I can see one Marlboro frame on EBay at the moment linked above This one is a 24” frame, so would suit a taller rider, say around the 6” mark. The asking price is fair for what’s on offer there, but the postage is inflated.

If you’re going the vintage route, you ideally want to be paying around the £100 mark total for something made from Reynolds 531 as much as possible and that will be the right size for the rider. The more prestigious the brand, the higher the price gets. All the brands you mention are OK and won’t come in too expensive. Dawes and Raleigh are historic brands in the UK we’ll thought of by tourers so you’ll meet frames of varying ages. I’m less sure about Carrera and Merida - you may get more modern products there.

If you look at the £300+ frames, you’re getting 531 throughout - main tubes, rear triangle and forks, the name, state of condition, branded dropouts (where the wheels fasten), the rear brake doesn’t just go in a hole cut in a tube, there’s a proper housing, lugs where used (i.e. the joints) will be a bit decorative and above the norm, and they may be lined in a contrast colour.

You want a frame that hasn’t been bashed or bent. A couple of minor dings on the tubes are tolerable, but holes and cracks are not for your purposes.

I’ve restored several 531 frames dating from the 1970s, 80s and 90s. You need to know how much restoring and adjustment your boyfriend is prepared to do. A 1990s frame should be ready to build up, while older frames may need the rear drop out widening and may lack cable stops or bosses on the downtube. The rear dropouts need to be 130mm apart to run modern wheels and gears. If he’s happy to run downtube levers as many tourers do, then lack of bosses is not a problem.

Most frames you’ll see for sale will have mudguard/rack eyes, but check. Older frames may not be compatible with modern brakes that use a recessed nut - you can run nutted brakes or widen the holes for the brakes to 8mm.

Older frames will often have been designed for 27” wheels and the standard has been 700C wheels for many years - this makes a difference to the “reach” of the brakes, where it’s a factor - but he’ll be able to work this out in the build process. Seat posts are sized in steps of 0.2mm with 27.2 mm being the most common. My point here is that I haven’t found a definitive way of measuring these - it seems to be “suck it and see.”

Another factor is whether he’s happy with the paintwork - the Marlboro looks OK. Proper bike painting isn’t cheap or quick and I don’t think is economic - unless you’re an enthusiast. You can get by with powder coating if it’s a nice frame in poor nick, but any refinishing loses the bike’s character. You can get replacement decals for many makes and models.

The Marlboro includes a head bearing so that’s one less item to worry about assuming it runs smooth and there’s no play in it. You won’t normally get a bottom bracket bearing - just make sure the b/b threads are OK. They’ll almost certainly be English/BSA standard, but check.

Some vendors’ descriptions are clearer than others, but I hope i’ve given you some idea of the things you need to know from them. If I was selling I’d want the world to immediately see my 531 decals on the frame and the forks, complete with the nicks and scratches that befit the age.

I did do a post on here a few weeks ago looking at the cheapest range of decent new components built to a cheap new aluminium frame - I think it came in at just over £600. Places like Ribble and Planet X do new frames for not much more than you can pay for 531 vintage on Ebay, but these tend to be racier than perhaps your Bf is looking for.

A lot to think about in terms of second-hand steel frames. I don’t disagree with earlier posters about how you should approach this, but if this information helps you talk in more depth about your Bf’s (other) passion then I predict a happy future for you!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Well, just to muddy the waters, I think that a 1990s steel mountain bike frame makes a very good base for a touring bike for many, including round-the-worlders, which is probably far enough :D

It can do. And I've used my (early 90s MTB based) hybrid for touring. But some have relatively short rear triangles (though most are longer than road bikes), which aren't ideal for laden touring. Also, while they can make decent touring bikes, the OP's other half may be after something else.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I'm also going for early to mid 90s MTB of moderate quality. Robust, capable, stable, good ground clearance, fittings for canti or V brakes, usually with the losses required for racks and guards, happily take modern derailleurs etc. Something with a 531at or double butted 4130 frame should chime in at well under the ton, maybe less than 50 sheets.

They're not quite perfect, as aforementioned, heel clearance can be tricky, but no bike will ever be perfect, even one built specifically for the task.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Something with a 531at or double butted 4130 frame should chime in at well under the ton, maybe less than 50 sheets

Help! I’ve wondered into Nicked: The Sweeney Appreciation Forum.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.