GCSE - Cycling handlebars/Safety

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stinkinMo

GCSE - Cycling handlebars/Safety

Post by stinkinMo »

Hi guys I'm doing a GCSE project and was previously aiming the project at a mix of Hi-Vis/ Visibility/ Safety. Recently I've realized that I'm not going to do get the full marks for this. I've been advised to do something that includes handlebars. I'm thinking of making an aerodynamic monoqocue handlebar with built in lights, gel holders, drink holders anything like that. All responses would be greatly appreciated. Could you possibly leave me some good ideas or exixsting products on the market. Any features that would be helpful to have on.
drossall

Re: GCSE - Cycling handlebars/Safety

Post by drossall »

I don't want to be discouraging, but this is quite difficult. It's decades since cyclists commonly carried bottles on their bars. On the frame is more aerodynamic. It also leaves the bars free for other clutter, of which we often have a fair bit - computer, lights, phone, tri-bars, sometimes a map carrier, even a bar bag or maybe a mirror attached. (Not all that lot at once, but you get the idea.)

So adding more stuff isn't necessarily welcome, and there are often better places to put it. There are some benefits in permanent lights but, for keen cyclists who generally have multiple bikes, integral ones are a pain - you can't take them off in summer, when you'll be home hours before needing them, and you can't swap them between bikes.

Monocoque bars implies carbon, and anyone buying bars in that wants lightness = not too many added bits increasing the weight.

That said, there are lots of different markets, and utility riders, tourists, sportive riders and racers all have their own requirements.
meic

Re: GCSE - Cycling handlebars/Safety

Post by meic »

Monocoque bars implies carbon, and anyone buying bars in that wants lightness = not too many added bits increasing the weight.

I always liked the idea of polypropylene monocoque structures for bikes. I think that it is an idea that is worth considering.
It does of course have lots of good reasons why not but I reckon this could be an idea whose time has come.
In the design process you have an idea and then consider all the pros and cons. Plenty of both for this idea, even if we presume that in the end it is not going to be a success it certainly makes a good GCSE exercise to consider it.

This follows on from his previous request for safety ideas, you need a few ideas that were investigated and dropped to back up the one that you finally run with. That's the rules of the game (or was thirty years ago).
Yma o Hyd