NEW HERE....need advice please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: NEW HERE....need advice please

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love tea and books

You could hire a cycle to start with, or buy from decathlon, apparently good value

Or buy used, LBSs (local bike shops) take lots of good bikes in part exchange but do not advertise second-hand so much, try asking

You can certainly get a good bike for under GBP 200
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Hiya
I am from Ayrshire and cycle with several small groups and clubs. Having read your post and the comments I would like to suggest the following bike. Nice and light for the style and price plus wide 32 tyres which would suit the cyclepaths, woodland trails and lanes around Irvine, Kilmarnock, Troon and Prestwick. Just seven gears but enough for simple cycling. A great starter bike and ideal "shorter run" winter hack. Parts are cheap and readily available. Weighs under 10 kilo.It costs from £270 to £330 online. Sprockets in Kilmarnock are dealers for the brand and can order you one.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Carpe-50 ... 109734.htm
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Similar in style and purpose to the Pinnacle I linked earlier, so we're in agreement, I think.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Bonefishblues wrote:Similar in style and purpose to the Pinnacle I linked earlier, so we're in agreement, I think.

Yep, agree. I tried the Orbea and couldn't believe how light and uncomplicated it was.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Eyebrox wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Similar in style and purpose to the Pinnacle I linked earlier, so we're in agreement, I think.

Yep, agree. I tried the Orbea and couldn't believe how light and uncomplicated it was.

Nice looking bikes but can you get mudguards and a rack on it? Should our tea drinking OP wish them.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

On the Pinnacle for sure.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

According to the description on Tredz' website the Orbea can take mudguards and a rack:

''It has quick release dropouts for easy maintenance, and the rack mounts and mudguards mounts allow you to make your Carpe more versatile for wet weather riding and transporting goods.''
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Bonefishblues wrote:Something like this style of bike, perhaps? I recommend this range as a good all-rounder for many people, but many brands have similar. If you have steep hills, then it would be worthwhile looking for a triple chainring model to ensure lower gears, but a single chainring like this is more than adequate for flatter routes (my wife rides similar)

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... e-EV275576

Thank you so much. I was actually looking at those very biukes....so much so, went and saw one and bought it. I tried it out, I got surprised as the tyres did not flatten out with me on it!! Anyway...have bike can now travel .....

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS REPLIED. I really am so very grateful...........
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

simonhill wrote:I wonder how much the OP wants to pay. "Not a lot of cash" means different things to different people.

I was sitting here wondering what OP meant. Old Person, are you a YP, a MAP or what??? I am 66 a pensioner so do not have thousands in the bank, I have a limited income I was looking between 2-400 max

Cheers, from the OP
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Eyebrox wrote:Hiya
I am from Ayrshire and cycle with several small groups and clubs. Having read your post and the comments I would like to suggest the following bike. Nice and light for the style and price plus wide 32 tyres which would suit the cyclepaths, woodland trails and lanes around Irvine, Kilmarnock, Troon and Prestwick. Just seven gears but enough for simple cycling. A great starter bike and ideal "shorter run" winter hack. Parts are cheap and readily available. Weighs under 10 kilo.It costs from £270 to £330 online. Sprockets in Kilmarnock are dealers for the brand and can order you one.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Carpe-50 ... 109734.htm

Many many thanks for your most helpful reply. But I have now bought a bike, it seems fine, it is going to get a new saddle the other one, well OUCH....says it all. Otherwise Im a happy little bunny...pinnacle. I can actually ride it too.....lol

many thanks
mjr

Post by mjr »

1luvtea wrote:I was sitting here wondering what OP meant.

Opening/original Poster. https://www.allacronyms.com/_internet_s ... nal_Poster
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Oh dear.............can sure tell I am a newbie. I need to get to grips with the language too it seems.

hahaha...........thanks for reply.
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I love tea and books

You could hire a cycle to start with, or buy from decathlon, apparently good value

Or buy used, LBSs (local bike shops) take lots of good bikes in part exchange but do not advertise second-hand so much, try asking

You can certainly get a good bike for under GBP 200

Thank you for the reply. Yes indeed. I looked at loads of bikes, was getting quite google eyed with it all. When I was young I had a raleigh which was pretty good (in those dim and distant days) anyhoo,..... I have purchased a pinnacle and I am really liking it. Still got to get to grips with all the differences in these new bikes, and that is apart from riding the thing! Happy trails eh.... deffo needin a cuppa. :shock:
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

eileithyia wrote:Hi and welcome, as Cotswold says, i know a lot of men who are 13-14st so do not worry too much about the weight... most bikes should be that robust. As long as the tyres are reasonably robust 28mm should be Ok you are not after skinny race tyres after all. Importantly make sure they are blown up firm before rides.... slightly soft and if you hit a ridge / stone / edge of a pothole and you will get a pinch fairy appear... whatever your weight....

A quick internet search shows bike shops at; Ayr, Carrick Cycles 87 Main St. ACS Prestwick, 5 The Cross. Troon; The Bicycle Rooms 82 Portland Street. Bikepost Ltd, 151 Dundonald Rd. Hope that helps.

I would also look at Decathlon for value for money, a quick and the Hoprider 100 Urban looks ok with mudguards, low frame design and pannier rack so you can carry some essentials with you.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-376962-hy ... ring-bikes

There is a Decathlon shop in Glasgow.

Well done on the weight loss so far.

Thank you for the lovely post. I have now got a pinnacle bike with robust tyres and changed up the seat for something more 'adequate'...... thank you indeed for all the info and, also your very kind comment on the weightloss....I am going downnnnnnnnn....cheers :P
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a thread on here about favourite tea stops, that would be interesting

My favourite teastop is back home. But surely Everybody Loves Tea?:wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies