NEW HERE....need advice please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
1luvtea

NEW HERE....need advice please

Post by 1luvtea »

Hi everyone
Please excuse me asking for advice straight off the bat, but I am 66 and want to start cycling. Lost my beloved husband and put on weight, am on a diet but currently 200 pounds (14 stone 10lbs) down from 16stones. I want a bike, but have no clue where to start, need one that would support my weight. I walk and like tow paths, forestry paths and around town. Hope someone can help, Am a pensioner with not a lot of cash. Many thanks in advance. :)
Brucey

Re: NEW HERE....need advice please

Post by Brucey »

it rather depends where you want to ride as to which is the best bike for you. A so-called 'hybrid' is a good choice because it will work OK on the road yet allows you to tackle bridepaths etc as well. They are usually fitted with flat bars which are less challenging for a novice.

Giant's 'escape' range is worth looking at. However more important than what exact bike you get is probably that the bike fits you!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Thank you for your reply. My idea was a hybrid, but I am concerned the tyres will be too skinny to take my weight.....
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Welcome to the Forum.

You've certainly picked the right username. Cyclists love bicycles but tea comes a close second with cake not far behind.

You don't say what part of the country you're from. As Brucey says, fit is very important, and a local bike shop should be able to offer sound advice. They can also advise on the best type of bike to choose. It would also be worth contacting local bike groups. They can also offer advice and, more importantly, organise social rides tailored to a variety of needs. They may also have links to local bike recycling co-operatives, where you may be able to pick up a decent second hand bike.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

You can get hybrid bicycles with larger tyres, say 35mm or 38mm (sometimes large still), they will be more than adequate for your purposes. They probably still look a little skinny to the average non-cyclist, but if you don't pump them rock hard then they will provide decent cushioning from road irregularities.
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Norman H wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

You've certainly picked the right username. Cyclists love bicycles but tea comes a close second with cake not far behind.

You don't say what part of the country you're from. As Brucey says, fit is very important, and a local bike shop should be able to offer sound advice. They can also advise on the best type of bike to choose. It would also be worth contacting local bike groups. They can also offer advice and, more importantly, organise social rides tailored to a variety of needs. They may also have links to local bike recycling co-operatives, where you may be able to pick up a decent second hand bike.

Hi ....I am from Scotland.............adn I am English so love tea. haha (and in the past too much cake hence try9ing to lose weight after comfort eating after being widowed.)

No local bike shops of worth where I am. Halford ayr and one in Troon that isnt too great. But I thought hybrid. Looked for a second hand bike, but worried about the 'wight issue'

Thanks so much for your lovely reply.
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Freddie wrote:You can get hybrid bicycles with larger tyres, say 35mm or 38mm (sometimes large still), they will be more than adequate for your purposes. They probably still look a little skinny to the average non-cyclist, but if you don't pump them rock hard then they will provide decent cushioning from road irregularities.

Hi Freddie...thank you for your very kind reply. So many good helpful people here :) I will see if I can get that size tyre then.......as I have said I am just concerned about the 'weight' issue. Hopefully if I can get on me bike I'll lose the fat!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Freddie wrote:You can get hybrid bicycles with larger tyres, say 35mm or 38mm (sometimes large still), they will be more than adequate for your purposes. They probably still look a little skinny to the average non-cyclist, but if you don't pump them rock hard then they will provide decent cushioning from road irregularities.

https://www.compasscycle.com/wp-content ... reDrop.pdf may give you an idea of what sort of tyre pressure would be ideal for your weight... conversely, if you aim for a tyre pressure no higher than 90psi rear with a fairly upright "city bike" position (the rear takes 65% of your weight), it might suggest what tyre widths would support your weight. Guess at 16kg for the bike. Then you can look for a bike which can take suitable width tyres. If you want to be cautious about wheel strength, then look for 36 or more spokes in the wheels, but if I've converted to metric correctly 65% of 106kg is about 69kg and 37mm-wide tyres will be well within range on that chart and I think far heavier people than that ride bikes.

Happy hunting!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
1luvtea

Post by 1luvtea »

Thank you again Freddie...most obliged. I will do some checking, and hunting......heck, Im off, need a cuppa!
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

I don't think you need to be too concerned about your weight as long as you avoid anything too cheap and cheerful. Lots of men weigh 13 stone or more and tour with full panniers, tent, etc, which must take them above your weight. I've done thousands of miles with loads of 14 stone or more and use decent but not special wheels and never had any problems.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hi and welcome, as Cotswold says, i know a lot of men who are 13-14st so do not worry too much about the weight... most bikes should be that robust. As long as the tyres are reasonably robust 28mm should be Ok you are not after skinny race tyres after all. Importantly make sure they are blown up firm before rides.... slightly soft and if you hit a ridge / stone / edge of a pothole and you will get a pinch fairy appear... whatever your weight....

A quick internet search shows bike shops at; Ayr, Carrick Cycles 87 Main St. ACS Prestwick, 5 The Cross. Troon; The Bicycle Rooms 82 Portland Street. Bikepost Ltd, 151 Dundonald Rd. Hope that helps.

I would also look at Decathlon for value for money, a quick and the Hoprider 100 Urban looks ok with mudguards, low frame design and pannier rack so you can carry some essentials with you.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-376962-hy ... ring-bikes

There is a Decathlon shop in Glasgow.

Well done on the weight loss so far.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gk406

Post by gk406 »

1luvtea wrote:
Norman H wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

Hi ....I am from Scotland.............adn I am English so love tea. haha (and in the past too much cake hence try9ing to lose weight after comfort eating after being widowed.)

No local bike shops of worth where I am. Halford ayr and one in Troon that isnt too great. But I thought hybrid. Looked for a second hand bike, but worried about the 'wight issue'

Thanks so much for your lovely reply.
1luvtea, I'm from Ayrshire, there are a few bike shops around that will gladly help you. As well as the ones previously posted there's Irvine Cycles on Eglinton st Irvine and Sprockets on Ayr Rd Kilmarnock.

And don't worry about the weight. I was 15 1/2 stone and riding a lightish road bike with 25mm tyres with no problem. And I've lost a lot of weight just by cycling to work most days. Mind you i carry about a stone of kit each day!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wonder how much the OP wants to pay. "Not a lot of cash" means different things to different people.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

simonhill wrote:I wonder how much the OP wants to pay. "Not a lot of cash" means different things to different people.

You must of been reading the Telegraph last weekend? My recall is that they recommended 1-2 basic bikes (£1300.00 ish) and a few other hundred pounds worth of bits
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Something like this style of bike, perhaps? I recommend this range as a good all-rounder for many people, but many brands have similar. If you have steep hills, then it would be worthwhile looking for a triple chainring model to ensure lower gears, but a single chainring like this is more than adequate for flatter routes (my wife rides similar)

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... e-EV275576