Bike Torch Mount For A Broke Student

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cunobelin

Re: Bike Torch Mount For A Broke Student

Post by Cunobelin »

Just to be pedantic (and off topic0 in reply t the bicycle light advocates.

The fact that few of these lights have filtration and a beam pattern is evident of you actually look at the beam patterns of cycle lights.

With the exception of a few they are all unfiltered and un restricted beams

This is the light beam pattern of a couple of Lezyne light (Power drive and Deca Drive)

Note how the beam coves the full area of the trees in front, well above the point at which the main beam would be in a driver's eye line

Then compare the pattern of a B&M Ixon which does have a beam pattern and filtration, and does not have the problem of the wasted upper half of the beam

Last edited by Cunobelin on 24 Sep 2018, 6:34am, edited 1 time in total.
james01

Post by james01 »

Cunobelin wrote:Nip into a plumbers and get a suitable size "O Ring" loop over torch, under handlebar and over torch ... sorted for e few pence

Agreed, this makes a perfectly solid mount. It's also easy to manually tilt while on the move to get fine adjustment.
Personally I use tent-rubbers from camping shops - basically giant-sized strong elastic bands.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Witterings wrote:The original question was if anyone could recommend a reasonably affordable mount for a student that would work with the Convoy S2 torch which has a diameter of 24mm

Which I answered back on page 1, with a link to a cheap silicone mount, but the only way to make the S2 work is with a lens IMO.

If you have any useful suggestion that address the initial query please do feel free to share them .... if you wish to discuss something else why not go start your own thread elsewhere.

Maybe take your own advice.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Witterings wrote:
gazza_d wrote:Please don't spend £15 on a torch that's not a good light. You can buy USB rechargeable light sets from the likes of Aldi and Lidl cheaper that will focus the light properly onto the road and it will be safer for the user.

They'll come with brackets and unless they spending all the time on unlit lanes and tracks they'll be perfect.

How do you know it's not a good light .... do you have one?????

The reason the person's bought that specific torch is because me as a reformed torch addict found out how good they were for everyday use started using it as a spare bought one for myself and my son as bike lights .... his girl fiend is a serious cyclist and has had many bike lights over the years.
One day her's ran out (a USB rechargeable which in my opinion are totally useless) and ended up borrowing my sons and was blown away with it in comparison to any of the others she'd used before.

USB rechargeable lights are a manufacturers dream for people that don't know any better with either non removable batteries i.e. you have to buy a whole new unit when the battery fails or have a bespoke fitting added to what is otherwise a standard battery so they can fleece you 4 x's the cost for a replacement.

This aside when you've forgotten to charge your battery and you want to go out for a ride ... you're jiggered and in my son's girlfriends case would have been stranded where she was with no safe way to get home, you can carry spares with you so if it runs out half way through a ride you just swap them over.

My rear light is a Cateye Rapid 3 ... why .... for the same reasons because it takes "normal" batteries which are £2.50 for a high quality replacement / spare .... personally I'll never buy a USB rechargeable whilst in my opinion there are far better options available.

This aside I nearly took someone who regularly cycles past the end of out road out last year when I came to a T-Junction and otherwise could have gone.
She was using one of those about town lights that give off naff-all in the way of beam and nearly went as the background she was cycling against hid her .... thank goodness I saw her at the last second and didn't go but the thing that immediately crossed my mind was if she had a decent light I would have seen her in the 1st place!

@Cunobelin .... You posted while I was typing and yes thank you that was the other thing I meant to say :)

There don't seem to be any half decent options in the £5 / 10 out there which is a shame.

Slightly OT, but the trick with any lights is planning.

I have lights that will last me fo 6 hours on full charge, that is three days commuting. I charge every second day (Sunday Tuesday and Thursday) so I know that a have 30% safety margin. Never let me down yet.

My "proper lights" last about two week, but are charged each Sunday.

Between them I am guaranteed lighting