Should I sell my Mercian?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hercule
Posts: 965
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby hercule » 23 Sep 2018, 9:01pm

Having settled on a recumbent trike and a recumbent bike that I really like and do the majority of my riding on, I have found myself with a number of conventional machines that I rarely use and periodically question why I keep. Then I go out for a ride on them and decide that for the piteous sum they would raise if sold, they are worth more to me. 9 speed indexed gears is pretty much the pinnacle of my technological development anyway... my favourite upright bike dates from 1985 and has eight gears (only).

I like the suggestion of keeping a bike that has no sentimental value that can be used with impunity in situations where risk of theft would preclude using a cherished machine. I’ve got a flat bar Giant that I use in that way. Despite a minimum of maintenance in the worst of conditions it just keeps ticking on and becomes even less stealable year on year.

Brucey
Posts: 35610
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby Brucey » 23 Sep 2018, 9:30pm

bikepacker wrote:Why do I not like riding some ask? Compared to my other bikes it is a much harsher ride and no matter what make of tyres the ride does not feel as comfortable. I purchased it because at the time it was a lighter frame so I built it as a lighter bike...


out of interest what is the spec of the frame/bike, and what size tyres will it accept?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4516
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby foxyrider » 23 Sep 2018, 9:48pm

The fact you've asked the question is pretty much the answer you need - you don't want it around (for whatever reason) so do the deed, don't waste more time in prevarication, just do it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

pwa
Posts: 10285
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby pwa » 23 Sep 2018, 9:55pm

I've hung on to bikes with damaged paintwork, which I would never get round to spending time and money on because I don't want to ride them. It is an emotional burden, so I'd say get rid of it. Maybe strip it down to keep parts you want and sell the frame, or give it to a friend who has the enthusiasm to fix it. Tell them they can have it if they donate something to a charity you like. But get rid of it.

User avatar
bigjim
Posts: 3109
Joined: 2 Feb 2008, 5:08pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby bigjim » 23 Sep 2018, 10:40pm

I have far too many bikes, according to my wife, and she is usually right. Some have not seen daylight for over 12 months. I don't dislike any of them. They are all steel framed 531 or 853. Most of them near mint condition. I kid myself they are for different duties.
However 12 months ago I bid a stupid amount on a cheap modern aluminium bike, just for the parts. I won. When I picked it up it was still in it's factory packing. I decided to ride it just to try it out. I have now used it for local rides, club runs, tours, off road and on.
I have hardly used those other bikes. The cheap modern Ali framed bike does everything. I really enjoy it. I have no excuse for keeping most of my other bikes but still there they hang looking at me. Getting in my way, taking up valuable space. I don't know the cure.
If you don't enjoy riding it. Get rid. I must admit I've never regretted selling a bike. It's just the first few steps I struggle with. Do you need the space or the money?
Jobst Brandt said he didn't have the time to look after more than one bike. I often wish I felt the same. I'm weak. :(
Nothing left to prove.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46492
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby Mick F » 24 Sep 2018, 8:49am

Brucey wrote:
bikepacker wrote:Why do I not like riding some ask? Compared to my other bikes it is a much harsher ride and no matter what make of tyres the ride does not feel as comfortable. I purchased it because at the time it was a lighter frame so I built it as a lighter bike...


out of interest what is the spec of the frame/bike, and what size tyres will it accept?

cheers
My immediate question too.

You say "much harsher ride", which means that your other bikes have a harsh ride, and the Mercian is "much harsher" yet you say the Mercian doesn't feel as "comfortable"?
Mick F. Cornwall

JohnW
Posts: 6229
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby JohnW » 24 Sep 2018, 10:05am

bigjim wrote:I have far too many bikes, ....................I kid myself they are for different duties................I have no excuse for keeping most of my other bikes........................It's just the first few steps I struggle with. .................:(


I know the feeling - and I've only got 3 bikes, plus a frame lying fallow in the loft...............we are not alone :( :( :( :( :(

User avatar
hondated
Posts: 2357
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 7:59am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby hondated » 24 Sep 2018, 10:48am

Brucey wrote:
bikepacker wrote:...... Although I have climbed Alpe d'Huez and the Galibier on it I have never really enjoyed riding it.....

What do you think I should I do as I have 3 other bikes I prefer to ride?


Ask yourself why you have not really enjoyed riding it and whether you could fix that or not. If the answer is 'definitely not' then unless your cycling preferences change in some way then you are unlikely to get much use out of it. Some folk would still keep it just as a wall ornament though!

It also seems to me that one reason you are not riding it at present is that the paintwork is damaged. Given that one of my pet hates is waiting for the first scratch on a new paint job (be it bike or car or motorcycle) once that threshold is crossed I can get on and just use the thing without worrying about it too much. A bike with scratches in my shed is likely to be ridden more, not less! I'd suggest that you get a matching car paint or something, repair the scratches (perfectly or imperfectly, it makes little difference), and just use the bike.

BTW the only person that really cares about what your bike looks like at close range is probably you. As long as the frame isn't going too badly rusty or cracking up , resprays can always wait.

You can always try changes in the bike to make it work better for you; if nothing else it might tell you more about your likes and dislikes, and such knowledge is almost priceless; fiddling about with a bike you have is nearly always much cheaper than buying the wrong one in future.... :wink:

cheers

Brucey you are so right that first scratch is a nightmare but once acquired you can move on in life. Someone unknown ,although I had a good idea who it was dented my car and the best advice I received on a Forum was live with it, have a walk around Paris and spot the undented car.
Great advice although of cause I had to get it repaired.

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Sep 2018, 10:57am

One conclusion from this thread is that there's a lot of ageing cyclists with more classic lightweights - including Mercians - than they'll ever need again. Unfortunately, there's probably a limited market because younger riders covet other types of bike.

User avatar
hondated
Posts: 2357
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 7:59am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby hondated » 24 Sep 2018, 10:59am

hercule wrote:Having settled on a recumbent trike and a recumbent bike that I really like and do the majority of my riding on, I have found myself with a number of conventional machines that I rarely use and periodically question why I keep. Then I go out for a ride on them and decide that for the piteous sum they would raise if sold, they are worth more to me. 9 speed indexed gears is pretty much the pinnacle of my technological development anyway... my favourite upright bike dates from 1985 and has eight gears (only).

I like the suggestion of keeping a bike that has no sentimental value that can be used with impunity in situations where risk of theft would preclude using a cherished machine. I’ve got a flat bar Giant that I use in that way. Despite a minimum of maintenance in the worst of conditions it just keeps ticking on and becomes even less stealable year on year.

I really do have a problem because even my " shopping bike " I hate leaving locked up and would be devastated if it was stolen. :? Io

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Sep 2018, 11:18am

One tip for anybody with old bikes - ie less than a couple of years old - is to jot down a few notes. This will simplify things for descendants and may reduce the number of requests on here for identifying old bikes by people who hope they have unearthed a treasure.

amediasatex
Posts: 714
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby amediasatex » 24 Sep 2018, 1:30pm

thirdcrank wrote:One conclusion from this thread is that there's a lot of ageing cyclists with more classic lightweights - including Mercians - than they'll ever need again. Unfortunately, there's probably a limited market because younger riders covet other types of bike.


Aye, I have more bikes than I ‘need’, but I enjoy their differences and ride them all, some more than others admittedly but it’s nice to have some variety and if nothing else it allows you to work out what you do really like.

Swings both ways though, I am probably one of the younger ones on here (mid 30s) and have a number of classic lightweights spanning 50s-90s and prefer them for 90% of my riding, I see my modern fast bikes as a necessary tool for that use, where as for general riding, audaxing and most training rides I favour older bikes.

In contrast to that most of the older (50s - 70s) I our club have moved on to modern carbon bikes for 90% of their riding and scoff at riding older bikes.

As I am often reminded, online forums, especially this one are representative of the kind of people that are attracted to that forum for whatever reason, and not necessarily representative of ‘the masses’, much like riding clubs attract people of similar type and interest.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11034
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Sep 2018, 1:38pm

Maybe older, retired people can thoyle spending several thousands on one cycle

Much better to have several *different* cheaper ones I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

JohnW
Posts: 6229
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby JohnW » 24 Sep 2018, 3:55pm

brynpoeth wrote:Maybe older, retired people can thoyle spending several thousands on one cycle

Much better to have several *different* cheaper ones I think


Bryn - this retired person would have to think carefully about having a new, quality hand built to-measure steel frame :roll: - at least a thousand pounds or more :shock: . However, such a frame can normally be compatible with everything :D and a good quality bike can be built up around it :D , using a fairly minimal amount of new tackle 8) .

It's also probably true that retired persons will have one or two frames of such quality :D , built and paid for in pre-retirement days :D , which will be more compatible with a wider range of tackle than the frame of a 'modern cheapo' 8) , and will last us for years and years and years :D . My 1981 and 1993 frames get several thousand miles a year each :D , and unless some motorist :evil: drives his car into one and destroys it, as one of them did to my 1979 frame a few years ago, they'll last for many years to come :D - and I won't even have to spend the amount of money required for a 'cheaper' one :D .

Of course, these bikes are not modern :roll: , fashionable bikes :roll: - that's not what it's about 8) - but they don't represent a high spending regime :D . To have an equivalent quality bike built around a high quality new handbuilt frame will indeed costs several thousands of pounds :shock: :shock: - but most 'retired people' would have to have quite a pension to be able to keep up with fashion on that basis :roll: :roll: :roll: !

JohnW
Posts: 6229
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Should I sell my Mercian?

Postby JohnW » 24 Sep 2018, 3:57pm

thirdcrank wrote:

One conclusion from this thread is that there's a lot of ageing cyclists with more classic lightweights - including Mercians - than they'll ever need again. Unfortunately, there's probably a limited market because younger riders covet other types of bike.

One tip for anybody with old bikes - ie less than a couple of years old - is to jot down a few notes. This will simplify things for descendants and may reduce the number of requests on here for identifying old bikes by people who hope they have unearthed a treasure.


True tc - true.