Best replacement for Samsung sIII mini smartphone

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
atoz

Best replacement for Samsung sIII mini smartphone

Post by atoz »

Hi all

This may seem a bit odd on a cycling forum- but it's actually quite important. I currently use a Samsung SIII mini smartphone on the bike. It was the most compact Android phone at the time (2013). Fits into a Carradice side pocket on saddlebags (even small bag like the Barley) when it's in a protective pouch. Recently survived a rear end RTC comopletely unscathed (bike was not quite so lucky- rear wheel rebuild only so consider myself fortunate though- I escaped with a some soft tissue injuries).

The mini is getting long in the tooth- the operaing system is now really old and won't upgrade. The most likely replacement is the Sony Z21 compact- which is great- but pricey at just under £300 for SIM only (don't do much calls- not worth a contract). There's a lot of bargains around on full size phones, but they're just too big. I don't want to put the phone on a handlebar mount as they're just too vulnerable to all types of damage. I don't want to go back to using a dinky non-smartphone. This is because I use Osmand off-line mapping on the mini- really useful and I rarely carry a paper map any more.

Original specs for mini at https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8190_ ... i-5033.php Dimensions are: 121.6 x 63 x 9.9 mm (4.79 x 2.48 x 0.39 in)

Any suggestions?
hamster

Re: Best replacement for Samsung sIII mini smartphone

Post by hamster »

Iphone 5s secondhand? Around £100, get one with a big memory and keep all mapping offline. I have the Belkin battery back on mine, which gives all-day runtime. I drop it in a back pocket with a single earbud fitted for turn-by-turn directions in when riding in towns.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

I've always hated big phones and bought myself the iphone SE as it was the smallest I could find but with a reasonable spec (iphone 6s brains in the 5 body) so you could also look for a 2nd hand one of those ... could have mine for £250.

I've literally just updated my wife's phone a week ago and bought her the Samsung Galaxy A3 - 2017 ... again because it was the smallest smart phone I could find and was £179 sim free from Argos.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I'm with you on phone size - the smaller the better, as you can actually fit the things in your pocket, unlike the huge-screen monstrosities which everyone else seems to favour these days.

I wouldn't buy a phone bundled with a PAYG SIM from a big retailer as this can still be quite pricey. Instead, I'd just buy a handset from eBay - new or second-hand. I'd then get a SIM-card separately. Take a look at Giff Gaff: they have a unique pricing system which gives you total flexibility, plus lots of texts, data and calls for very little.

As for the handset itself, I wouldn't go down the iPhone route: although they are technically excellent, you're already using android, so might as well stick with what you've got used to. Sony's range of compact smartphones are always rated highly on battery life (huge battery, tiny screen) whilst having performance equal to the huge top-of-the-range monstrosities. I'd therefore recommend either an Xperia Z5 Compact, XZ1 Compact or XZ2 Compact. (If you buy a second hand one, you risk getting one with a tired old battery - however, you can replace these yourself, which isn't easy but there are plenty of YouTube videos explaining how.) The other one to consider is the Samsung Galaxy A3.

Just check out the online reviews for the above, and see what deals you can find on eBay.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Why not just root the phone and see if that works for you in terms of choosing what you want and see how you go before buying something new? You can also change the amount of space for your apps too though being able to get rid of the bloatware will naturally free up a lot of space too. Also you can get shot of google (if you haven't already) I'm still using my SII, very similar size to the SIII mini and I was able to buy brand new Duracell batteries for it too for less than £10.
Here's some useful info https://www.android.gs/root-galaxy-s3-mini-i8190/
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

The utility cyclist wrote:Why not just root the phone and see if that works for you

Here in Australia the expression rooting your phone could mean causing it some serious damage!
Then you could say that your phone was rooted!

Mike
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

My 6.8 inch Huawei note 8 has been mounted on my handlebars on and off for the past two years and has been quite happy. It's also my car GPS, kindle, web browser etc. It fits easily in trouser, jeans,shirt and coat pockets.
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

The S4 mini is a huge step up from the S111 but same size. Problem with the S111 was that all available operating space was taken up by bloatware. I had (still have) both. My S4 mini is still going strong after years of use in all conditions. The damned thing won't even slow down let alone die.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Mike_Ayling wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Why not just root the phone and see if that works for you

Here in Australia the expression rooting your phone could mean causing it some serious damage!
Then you could say that your phone was rooted!

Mike

Aye but australians make up illogical meanings based on a word all the time so not unexpected, we normally say something is broken , er, when it's broken/seriously damaged :mrgreen:
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

As well as my note 8 ( mentioned above) I should also mention that I have a Samsung SII running lineage 14 (Android 7) which I take on longer rides as Gps backup. It runs locus maps reasonably well.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Have a look at the Moto E, its pretty small, 4G and cheap as chips s/h

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......