Carradice bag supports (SQR vs Bagman QR)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brooksby

Carradice bag supports (SQR vs Bagman QR)

Post by brooksby »

I have a Carradice Cadet saddlebag.

I bought the quick release which clamps to the saddle rails (I have a rack, so didn't need the Bagman support itself, and was able to get just the clamp from a supplier). When I attach the Cadet to that quick release arrangement it sits across the top of my rack and looks a bit squashed. If I attach a light to the bag it just kind of shines up at the sky :wink:

I guess my question is, if I got the SQR system instead would that lift the Cadet up and make it hold its shape a bit better?

Has anyone experience of using these two systems, and can anyone express a preference?

Thanks!
tatanab

Re: Carradice bag supports (SQR vs Bagman QR)

Post by tatanab »

It has been some years since I used one, but I recall that an SQR will raise the top of the bag to slightly above saddle level versus below that level for the Bagman. Hence the short answer is - yes the SQR will allow the bag to retain it's shape dependant on load. The thing to be aware of is that the SQR requires several inches of saddle pillar, and that to release the bag from the clamp you would have to swing the bag ups and backwards because the release part needs to fall about an inch to clear the bottom of the SQR clamp body.

It is still not guaranteed that a light on the bag will point correctly, depending on load in bag and whether the bag is rotated to the SQR or sitting square on your rack. It used to be clear that lights have to be attached to the cycle and not to accessories, so it might be ok for an auxiliary light.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The SQR release action involves lifting the bag so the upper part of the saddlebag frame clears the top slot on the seatpost fitting, then tipping the saddlebag backwards and lowering the bag far enough for the bottom of the frame to clear the lower slot on the seatpost fitting.
At the lowest point, the bottom of the saddlebag will be some 4 inches below its carriage position, and if you don't have clearance for that, removing the saddlebag will be awkward, and could possibly mean taking stuff out.
I've also had an SQR saddlebag dumped in the road in front of me by another rider. The spring in the release catch had gone walkabout.

I use the Bagman QR above a rack, and just ignore the rack pushing the bottom of the saddlebag up.
The same happens using the Bagman support too (depending on the size of the saddlebag).
If the bottom of the saddlebag isn't pushed up a little, the bag is supported only by its top straps, and will swing about more than it would otherwise.

Is there any reason not to just fit a light on the rack?
At least that will guarantee it's always pointed at the following traffic, regardless of how full the saddlebag is.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

brooksby wrote:I have a Carradice Cadet saddlebag.

I bought the quick release which clamps to the saddle rails (I have a rack, so didn't need the Bagman support itself, and was able to get just the clamp from a supplier). When I attach the Cadet to that quick release arrangement it sits across the top of my rack and looks a bit squashed. If I attach a light to the bag it just kind of shines up at the sky :wink:

I guess my question is, if I got the SQR system instead would that lift the Cadet up and make it hold its shape a bit better?

Has anyone experience of using these two systems, and can anyone express a preference?

Thanks!

I'm guessing at this - but I do have the same problem myself. I also guess that, like me, you're a fairly short bloke, and this brings the saddle quite low. The top of the rack has to be high enough to clear the rear wheel - and there's the dilemma. Low saddle, high rack and not enough room for a saddlebag. It could be possible to get a rack which is a bit shorter (or lower) than the one you have - I find that all racks are not the same in this respect.

For the rear lights, I have sorted out ways of fixing rear-light brackets to the struts on the rack. On one of my bikes I have a rack-pack which moves rear-ward just enough to clear the saddle without over-sailing the rear of the rack.

Whenever touring cyclists are gathered together, you'll probably find that lots of other people have this problem, and have all invented their own solutions - many, many different solutions to the same problem. Tall cyclists don't have this problem of course - but then again, we don't have trouble with low bridges :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All down the years it has seemed to me that whilst the bagman type supports are a good idea, beware of problems if the saddlebag is loaded with any significant weight at all - and don't carry eggs if you're on a bumpy road on the way home. :( :( :( :( :(
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, put the light on the rack if you have one. Lights on bags move around too much. SJS sells rack attachments for lights if you need one.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've got a couple of SQR blocks ( for two bikes ) and the frame that goes on the bag

I'd swap for your quick release or sell (cheap) if you think it would work for you, bearing in mind

the comments in tatanab's first paragraph, ( the same problem I had with them ). One of the blocks

needs a couple of new steel seat post bands (£3 a pair from Carradice).They damage easily.

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/ac ... bands-pair

P1100867 (640x432).jpg

I use a light on the rack and a small one as a back up hung off one of the bag straps, with a tiny cable tie

to keep it in place when the bag is opened, seems to keep the light fairly upright when the bag is full.

I use one of these lights on the rack from clas ohlson .£9.99 and take 2xAA batteries, a good light imo.

https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt- ... ht/31-1927
Nu-Fogey
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

OK, thanks, everyone. I actually do have a light on the end of the rack (proper Dutch style one with integrated reflector). I just like to always have my Lezyne super blinky (one of the round ones - Zecto?) as well. However, taking everyone's comments on board, I don't think that the SQR would actually gain me anything, so I think I'll leave it as is. Cheers! :D

(PS - I'm not short overall, but I have short legs in proportion to my long torso).
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you want to use a supplementary light attached to a soft bag, a COB light like the Moon Nebula (or the similar lights from Aldi or Planet X) gives good light over a considerably wider angle than regular LED lights, and will be more tolerant of misalignment.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

brooksby wrote:...............
(PS - I'm not short overall, but I have short legs in proportion to my long torso).

Sorry about that - but same effect in this case.