Bar extension options

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
zenitb

Mary Bars...

Post by zenitb »

andrew_s wrote:
zenitb wrote:I think straight bars twist the wrist into a slightly unnatural position, compared say with walking along with hands by your side. Like you this makes my hands a bit numb on long rides.

I resolved my numb/tingling fingers problem by switching to bars that allowed a more knuckles outward hand position, rather than the knuckles forward position that you use on straight bars. ...

I used On-One Mary bars, fitted upside down so there was a slight drop.
The sweep for Mary bars is about 40°, which is probably near the minimum - you may be better with more sweep, like on the North Road type bars which were the traditional handlebar when everybody used bikes for transport.

Interesting Andrew..I like your logic..you seem to have parallelled my thoughts regarding "wrist twist" but with a different end solution....tempted to give them a shot myself...maybe on my "B" bike. Any pics of them on your bike?
AMMoffat

Re: Bar extension options

Post by AMMoffat »

On my mountain bike I use the version of your existing grips with built-in bar ends, Ergon GP3 http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe. I find these give me all the alternative hand positions I require. There are 2 longer versions as well, GP4 & GP5.