dont ask a copper

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Re: dont ask a copper ( better url)

Post by fastpedaller »

A mild form of vigilantism(is that a word) would be for prospective buyers to go around and one-by-one take the bikes 'for a test ride' and never return with them :lol: would maybe teach him a lesson - but I suspect he won't let anyone do the ride again until they've paid :(
Airsporter1st

Despatches - Lawless Britain, tomorrow at 2000 Ch. 4

Post by Airsporter1st »

Might be an interesting watch and certainly topical if this thread is anything to go by.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

cyclemad wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:.......You seem very bitter about the job you chose. Didn't you know all that before you applied - perhaps some basic research might have helped in that case. If you did know about it all and joined in spite of it then you obviously accepted those conditions so don't moan about them........

I don't think he is moaning about the job just letting people know what it entails and that people don't go into the police for the pay and pension.

I agree with this Poster......

Perhaps if people actually ask a cop what the job is like rather than formulating a response based on hearsay , you tube , social medial and Police Interceptors etc they would gain a true insight into the life and times of your local Cop.

The inaction / lack of interest ( as some have called it ) in investigation ;-

This may be determinate on a number of factors . I am not aware of the specifics of the original post but examples may be;-

Is there cctv
Is there a description of the offender
Can the date/time of the occurrence be identified
Are there any witnesses
Can the item ( the cycle ) be positively identified.
Is there any forensic evidence - finger prints / DNA etc

Is there a likelihood of a successful prosecution ( CPS guidelines )

Also to consider;-

What Police resources are available.
Is the investigation person a Police Officer or PCSO ( minor crimes in some force areas are dealt wit by PCSO )
Has the complainant provided a statement
Has the occurrence been overseen by the officers supervisor

What are the force and local priorities

Until the above have been considered it would be unfair to state the the police are not interested.

Hope this helps .

Hmmm well crimes were solved before cctv was invented weren't they so why is that relevant?
Without actually investigating the crime the other things you mention can't be determined can they? Forensic evidence or lack of it can't be determined without an investigation. Neither can the likelihood of a successful prosecution be determined without an investigation.
If the police don't bother to carry out an investigation to determine the things you mention then they are disinterested in the alleged crime.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sum

Post by Sum »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:.......You seem very bitter about the job you chose. Didn't you know all that before you applied - perhaps some basic research might have helped in that case. If you did know about it all and joined in spite of it then you obviously accepted those conditions so don't moan about them........

I don't think he is moaning about the job just letting people know what it entails and that people don't go into the police for the pay and pension.

+1
landsurfer

Re: dont ask a copper

Post by landsurfer »

“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

the journo' claims not to trust the police but would ring 999 if he heard someone mucking about but not if they would turn up??

Sensationalist journalism....

Then let him ''not bother''. -- let the cops concentrate on other ''jobs''. :D

But not surprised he writes for the Telegraph .
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
landsurfer wrote:
pete75 wrote:BTW Forces salaries aren't as low as you seem to imply - a young relative who has been in the army for just 4 years is on over £40,000 pa.

Commissioned Officer then ? Not an Infantry Man. .....

Just wondering does commission which is selective I assume still need money to get in?
Did it ever.
I was up on the moors and bumped into a young person that talked of walking on their own plus booze plus mates but choses to be alone, bit like me with out the booze and mates :mrgreen:
They were going in as an officer and their dad was handling it, Leutenant starters IIRC, reason............get an office job for a high ranker and see the world........their words.

So whats the order and path as commissioned today?
My father offered major but declined and left, started at the bottom of course.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
landsurfer wrote:
pete75 wrote:BTW Forces salaries aren't as low as you seem to imply - a young relative who has been in the army for just 4 years is on over £40,000 pa.

Commissioned Officer then ? Not an Infantry Man. .....

Just wondering does commission which is selective I assume still need money to get in?
Did it ever.
I was up on the moors and bumped into a young person that talked of walking on their own plus booze plus mates but choses to be alone, bit like me with out the booze and mates :mrgreen:
They were going in as an officer and their dad was handling it, Leutenant starters IIRC, reason............get an office job for a high ranker and see the world........their words.

So whats the order and path as commissioned today?
My father offered major but declined and left, started at the bottom of course.

At one time commissions were bought, £1500 for a captaincy and so on. That's not done anymore but it helps to have a private income if you're an officer in one of the smarter regiments.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:At one time commissions were bought, £1500 for a captaincy and so on. That's not done anymore but it helps to have a private income if you're an officer in one of the smarter regiments.

A very very long time ago .....very .......

All my officers where grammar and secondary boys and girls that did well at Uni .....
Apart from the Regiment Officers of course ... they had good degrees ... and more than a touch of the Psycobunny .....
Our boss on 74 had a degree in art history ... it doesn't matter what the degree is in ... it just proves the ability to learn ....
He learnt to punch holes in the sky... tanks, buildings, ships .. et al .. and learnt how to lead. ...
Top chap our Cliff ....
Be more Mike.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

landsurfer wrote:… ..a degree in art history ... it doesn't matter what the degree is in ... it just proves the ability to learn ....

Exactly where Britain went wrong and is still going wrong…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:
landsurfer wrote:… ..a degree in art history ... it doesn't matter what the degree is in ... it just proves the ability to learn ....

Al

Please explain.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Well AVM Cliff Spink may disagree with you and the hundreds of RAF personnel that served with him. At all levels.
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

The German is a dangerous fellow, he takes a poem out of his pocket and starts a conversation about philosophy (Heinrich Heine)
Philosophy is big in Germany, the country is rich and prosperous, maybe because many people learn too much
Apparently it is the other way in trumpland, people do not learn enough :?

Alternative facts welcome
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Well AVM Cliff Spink may disagree with you and the hundreds of RAF personnel that served with him. At all levels.

Would that be the former station commander at RAF Coningsby and BBMF Spitfire pilot? Did quite well in spite of what some might call his educational disadvantages.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »