dont ask a copper

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

dont ask a copper

Post by mercalia »

Woman, 44, turns detective and 'steals back' her £700 bicycle after police refused to help

seems lke time for the Vigilantes?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6245563/Woman-44-turns-detective-steals-700-bicycle.html
Last edited by mercalia on 8 Oct 2018, 10:34am, edited 3 times in total.
Airsporter1st

Re: dont ask a copper

Post by Airsporter1st »

This kind of thing is becoming the norm.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Loved the empty handbag trick. Well done her.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Any police officers on this forum should be [moderated]
In the last 5 years my home has been burgled 4 times, the police turned up once, 4 days later, to hand out some cheap and pointless alarms.
As previously posted i also have "stolen" one of my bikes back, not from the thief but from the UK's biggest fence, Cash Converters (Maltby).
I also recovered a stolen Garmin Edge Touring, also from Cash Convertors (Rotherham).
The look on the managers face when shown the serial number on the back of it and me producing a card from my pocket with the corresponding number on it, smiling at him as i rung the police, only to be told to take it and go away ... made my day.

Yes Paul, the one that was lost on LEJOG, and returned. It must be a homing Garmin ... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:Any police officers on this forum should be [moderated]

Why?

You cannot possibly have any knowledge of them, their professionalism or what they do.

A vitriolic attack on everyone because of your own personal experience and agenda is unacceptable

This is no more acceptable than "Every cyclists should be ashamed because someone once jumped a red light"
landsurfer

Re: dont ask a copper ( better url)

Post by landsurfer »

Redacted
Last edited by landsurfer on 6 Oct 2018, 10:23am, edited 2 times in total.
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:You cannot possibly have any knowledge of them, their professionalism or what they do.

100% correct, because we never see them, we never receive any visible assistance from them... their only visible after the event, ... Oh sorry, my mistake their not !

After the latest break-in, during which the following were stolen;
Dremel Blow Torch.
McGregor Socket set.
Aldi mains hammer drill
Aldi cordless drill
Aldi cordless screwdriver
VAX Battery charger and batteries x2
16" Chain saw
Electric chainsaw.
Grandsons Tamiya R/C race car.

I was asked if i had house insurance, when i answered in the positive, i was told they would not be taking any further action, gave me crime number and that was that ....
Be more Mike.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:You cannot possibly have any knowledge of them, their professionalism or what they do.

100% correct, because we never see them, we never receive any visible assistance from them... their only visible after the event, ... Oh sorry, my mistake their not !

Of course you have never seen the members of this forum that you have chosen to malign......... they are on an Internet forum, and by definition invisible and will remain so unless we become Skype based

Demanding that they appear to you and criticise because they don't is bizarre

Any other sections of the forum that you want to nip round?

Perhaps the e.bike riders, fixie riders, LEJOG riders?

After all because we never see them, we never receive any visible assistance from them

Slagging off other members for your own agenda is unacceptable
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

the blame for the lack of police officers lies mostly with previous and current govt.
Teresa May when home sec' screwed the police well and truly resulting in 16,500 less police officers .....This continued as prime minister ( by default ) as she screwed the service on a daily basis yet retained her 24/7 personal / family protection officers.

The police service is undermanned and under paid...The current starting salary is less than £22,000........with no projects of a pay rise for several years. They are over worked and low in morale due to lack of support from the bull shitters in the ivory towers of Their respective HQ's who pay lip service to the Home Office....

so before you put down the police ...ask yourself.....would you do their job......

12 hour shifts....no guarantee of a meal ( unlike 'staff'' officers cannot refuse to turn out from meal break ) , no guarantee of finishing on time ...having rest days cancelled at short notice and no guarantee of annual leave.....getting aggro for grabbing a quick sandwich in Tesco ( ''oh its ok for you while your stuffing your face someone could be burgling my shed !!'')
Being spat on and assaulted, knife and gun violence , terrorist threats, putting your family at risk.....the list goes on.......and all for £22,000???

And those that put down the cops are mostly those who ring 999 to report kids playing in the street or someone has called them a rude word on social media..

Support your local officer.....you don't know what they are experiencing...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

This^^^^goes to the heart of the real problems facing policing in the present politrickal climate and why they don't turn up for minor offences.
I applaud the the lady in the OP but let's put the blaim where it belongs at the feet of an incompetent government,more interested in statistics and BS rather than people! :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

cyclemad wrote:Support your local officer.....you don't know what they are experiencing...

Would love too, but not seen one out of a car for 4 years .................According to a senior police officer on the To-day programme Friday morning those wishing to join the Force are at an all time high ..... which is good, a sought after profession.
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Of course you have never seen the members of this forum that you have chosen to malign......... they are on an Internet forum, and by definition invisible and will remain so unless we become Skype based
After all because we never see them, we never receive any visible assistance from them

Maybe being from Rotherham my experience of the Police is different from yours. We still remember the Strike here, and more recently the wholesale abuse of our children while all of those that should have stepped in and protected them turned their backs.
No group in our society is above challenging. Including Ebike riders, Fixie riders and LEJOG riders, since i am a member of all 3 groups.
Last edited by landsurfer on 6 Oct 2018, 2:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be more Mike.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A recent report by (I think) Devon and Cornwall police said they spent 40% of their time on mental problems. It's not only cuts to the actual police service.

Nonetheless, I think the Kingston police were woeful in their dealings with the woman in question. Also, the mere fact that vigilantism is being mentioned is worrying.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Maybe being from Rotherham my experience of the Police is different from yours. We still remember the Strike here, and more recently the wholesale abuse of children while all of those that should have stepped in and protected them turned their backs.
No group in our society is above challenging. Including Ebike riders, Fixie riders and LEJOG riders, since i am a member of all 3 groups.

Ha ha - I feel an urge to agree with your sentiments if not your style. But as Mr Reohn points out, the police forces of the land have been decimated and degraded by "austerity" on the grounds that we should all be able to afford a private security guard or three instead. Anyway, there's little point in a rozzer catching a thief these days as the courts too are at a standstill. Only criminals of interest to the shrilling, thrilling mass media are now processed, as this is entertainment and so very important! (It distracts us from an ever more beetling reality).

Will you be going vigilante? I fear you might and so will avoid your town and thereabouts since vigilantes can get carried away. Perhaps if I was a paediatrician I might be set-upon by a mob of irate parents led by a harridan, for instance.

But what to do? Despite it being wholly against my nurture and perhaps even my nature, I am running for the hills, where I will also learn armaments - to shoot edibles rather than criminals but .... who knows what the near future holds? Perhaps Moggorania, where a Hobbesian "war of all against all" will be the norm; except for Mogg and Boris of course.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Maybe being from Rotherham my experience of the Police is different from yours. We still remember the Strike here, and more recently the wholesale abuse of our children while all of those that should have stepped in and protected them turned their backs.

Which still remains a personal attack on members of the forum based on personal bias, as opposed to knowledge of the individials

This is fast becoming a matter for the mods