Bike mirror

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jurassic2

Bike mirror

Post by Jurassic2 »

Does anyone know if there is a suitable mirror i can use on my Dawes Galaxy with bar end levers, not been able to find anything suitable, appreciate any help.
horizon

Re: Bike mirror

Post by horizon »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... drop-bars/

You might find it cheaper. I think it is excellent.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
elmo

Post by elmo »

I can vouch for the one in the above post. Gives a good rear view.

Elmo
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Have you considered a helmet mirror, particularly useful if you ride more than one bike.

Mike
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike_Ayling wrote:Have you considered a helmet mirror, particularly useful if you ride more than one bike.

If you think that headgear is necessary, it seems foolish to position a mirror near your face in a crash.

Zefal Spy will fit beside the end of the drops, I think. I prefer to look directly, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

Many, thanks a couple of good alternatives to look at.
robgul

Post by robgul »

elmo wrote:I can vouch for the one in the above post. Gives a good rear view.

Elmo

Yep - and it's easy to swap to the other brake hood if you're riding abroad. The only downside is if you lean the bike against a wall.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I found that my mirror in the end of the drops is great cycling UK without a rear pannier on the mirror side. But when there is a loaded pannier on the mirror side it rather obscures the view from the mirror - not completely but enough to make it not so useful.

Not relevant for OP with bar end shifters.

Ian
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

The Blackburn mirror is what I use on my Thorn with drop bars.

I can use it on the other side when cycling in France, on the negative side it does "shake" especially on poor surfaces.
horizon

Post by horizon »

anniesboy wrote: on the negative side it does "shake" especially on poor surfaces.

It also gets obscured by rain and mist, can break if the bike is dropped etc and makes cars seem further away than they are. But despite this works brilliantly and IMV is an absolute lifesaver - I don't cycle without it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

mjr wrote:
Mike_Ayling wrote:Have you considered a helmet mirror, particularly useful if you ride more than one bike.

If you think that headgear is necessary, it seems foolish to position a mirror near your face in a crash.

We are not allowed to think here in the nanny state of Victoria Australia, the gummint says we have to wear a helmet!

In all the anti helmet threads and mirror threads that I have encountered yours is the first reference I have seen about a helmet mirror possibly causing injury. I live and learn!

Mike
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

mjr wrote:

Zefal Spy will fit beside the end of the drops, I think. I prefer to look directly, though.

Tried the Zefal spy. Tiny, poor quality mirror that distorts a lot and is too small to be of any use.

Agree with comments re helmet mirrors - I wouldn't feel happy with a spike near my eye that could easily get pushed into it.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Debs

Post by Debs »

I have a Zefal Spin Mirror on two of my bikes. £9.13 from Wiggle.

Can be neatly folded under the bars when not in use, adjustment is good and stays in position very well, doesn't vibrate into blurred vision when on rough roads like many mirrors do.
My only neg is T Rex looks further away than he really is,
and must admit i ofter hear a car/truck/bus/Stegosaurus coming before seeing it in the mirror :D

Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

Thanks, Debs I have used those before, but i'm riding a Galaxy with bar end levers so not possible to use those:
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Mike_Ayling wrote:
mjr wrote:

We are not allowed to think here in the nanny state of Victoria Australia, the gummint says we have to wear a helmet!

In all the anti helmet threads and mirror threads that I have encountered yours is the first reference I have seen about a helmet mirror possibly causing injury. I live and learn!

Mike

I have seen such an injury - or at least, what the patient looked like after he'd been to A&E to have embedded shards of mirror removed from his eyelid. Not nice. Fortunately no permanent damage was done to his eye. It certanly put me off the idea. However that was the only time I've seen such a thing, so i can't draw any conclusions about how likely it is to happen. (Continued in helmet thread, page 231987 :D )