Wayfarer Memorial whereabouts of Log books

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
steve.y.griffith

Wayfarer Memorial whereabouts of Log books

Post by steve.y.griffith »

A bit of history, in March 1919 Wayfarer (pen name of a leading Cycling journalist) with two companions from the Anfield Bicycle Club made the crossing in the Berwyns ,N Wales known as the Nant Rhyd Wilym He wriote up the adventure in 'Cycling ' entitled Over the Top(a clear reference to the Great War) and the article inspired many to seek out tracks and crossings. When the Rough Stuff Fellowship was founded in 1955 such was the importance of the article that they decided to errect a memorial stone at the apex of the crossing. Since 1957 there has always been a log book located in a metal box below the memorial where travellers could record their journey.

The purpose of this post is to ask if anyone knows the location of the old Log Books. I was told about 20 years ago they were held by someone in Wrexham DA but no one seems to have any details and the RSF have no more information.
Any information gratefully received.

Despite the onset of Tarmac at the western end its still a worthwhile crossing .I have done it several times the most memorable being in the evening in October during a full moon. As next year is the centenary members of the VCC will be making the crossing on30th March on pre WW2 bikes
RickH

Re: Wayfarer Memorial whereabouts of Log books

Post by RickH »

I don't know if you've made any recent contact with Chester & North Wales CTC (which includes the old Wrexham DA patch) but I'll put a copy of what you've written on their Facebook page (&/or you can join yourself) with a request for info.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
steve.y.griffith

Post by steve.y.griffith »

No I haven't but that would be useful if you could do that
pwa

Post by pwa »

It might be interesting to hear from anyone else who knows of old cycling challenges like this that can still be done. Little known routes with a bit of a history.
RickH

Post by RickH »

steve.y.griffith wrote:No I haven't but that would be useful if you could do that

I've quoted your post & put a link to it in the C&NW CTC Facebook group. I'll let you know if I get anything useful back in response.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I didn't know anything about this and so did a search , here is a link to the CTC Cymru page that includes

' Wayfarers ' original article for anyone else who might be interested.

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/wayfarer.htm
Nu-Fogey