Winter tights for the vertically challenged.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ANTONISH

Winter tights for the vertically challenged.

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm 5'5" and have short legs.
I would like to get some winter cycling tights but having a 33" waist puts me in the medium to large range.
This means the tights are too long for me.
Is there any way of getting something closer to my needs?
geocycle

Re: Winter tights for the vertically challenged.

Post by geocycle »

I have some Altura winter cruisers which are ridiculously short in the leg! I'm M and S medium but had to buy extra large to get the leg anywhere near my ankle. Could be an option?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Some of the cycle clothing brands make bib shorts using the same or similar Roubaix type material as used in their winter tights, and one possible option might be to use such bib shorts with leg warmers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-flt-roubaix-bib-shorts/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fast-bib-shorts-total-protection/

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/classic-thermal-bib-shorts/product/CTB01XXBLK

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-FS260-Pro-Thermo-Bibshort-AW17_113397.htm
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

3/4 Length and long socks ?.
Last edited by 9494arnold on 12 Oct 2018, 2:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Ron Hill tracksters in medium would fit you fine and are reasonably close fitting on the legs so do not flap around, I think I got mine from Sports shoes direct and they also they are on ebay.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Agree with the Ron Hill option. I am 34 waist and 29 inside leg. I take large or extra large in most cycling tights but medium is perfect with tracksters.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Tudor Sports do made-to-measure tights for £56.40 - http://www.tudorsports.co.uk/ts107-york ... ustom.html

I have the off-the-shelf version and they are lovely warm winter tights with a high waistband and comfortable elasticated waist - no drawcord and no supertight latex or gripper strips. One rear pocket which I find very handy for an easy-to-reach handkerchief.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

ANTONISH wrote:I'm 5'5" and have short legs.
I would like to get some winter cycling tights but having a 33" waist puts me in the medium to large range.
This means the tights are too long for me.
Is there any way of getting something closer to my needs?

Take a pair that fit you well and get them cut them down then sew some elastic in at the bottom or a foot strap a la Ron Hill tracksters. If you're not confident doing the work yourself I'm sure your mum or a shop could do it but it's not that difficult and even if you're not accurate/even with the sewing no-one will notice unless you use really garish coloured thread to sew up the elastic 8)

You could also check out to see if the ladies variants come up shorter in the leg, you'd need about a 16 waist wise
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Thanks for all the replies.
I've used leg warmers but the small sizes I find too tight - also found they started to slip down after a while.
Ron Hill tracksters are good - I've even shortened them in the past - I have two pairs on the go at the moment but they aren't particularly warm in very cold weather. I hacked a few inches off an old pair and wore them under the newer ones when it was very cold.
I just wanted something that would do the job without the multiple layers.
I had forgotten about Tudor sports which seems an ideal solution :)
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

The problem with a lot of tights is that they come with leg zips which make taking them up a real pain. We make gear for outdoor activities at work, have sewing machines all set up and ready to go, but even I shy away from removing zips, shorten the legs and putting the zips back in. It's a lot easier to get the custom size options and pay a little extra.

But thinking of Tudor Sports, with "World Champ" cuffing at the ankle, no way!