Cycle route from Crieff to Aviemore

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mikec27

Cycle route from Crieff to Aviemore

Post by mikec27 »

Going on holiday to Crieff then Aviemore so planning to cycle between the 2.

Looking for some advice on best route on my road bike

Based on quick look at google maps was thinking-
From Crieff, take A822 to Aberfeldy
Then A846 to Tummel Bridge
Then take a right turn shortly after to travel north joining B847 shortly before turning left onto unnamed road north to join A9 at
Dalnacardoch Lodge
Then 13 miles up A9 to Dalwhinnie - would rather use the cycle path than cycle on A9
Then A889 to Laggan followed by A86 / B9152 to Aviemore

Anyone got any experience of those roads (and section of cycle path) and suitability for a road bike with 23c tyres

Thanks
Pyranha

Re: Cycle route from Crieff to Aviemore

Post by Pyranha »

The road between Crieff and Aberfeldy should be quiet - the descent into Aberfeldy is fun. Then Aberfekdy to Logierait, on the minor road should be ok. At Logierait, NCN7 goes up the (possibly) unclassified road parallel to the A9; I would then stick with NCN7 all the way as it's a mix of quiet roads and segregated bike path.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Turn left off the A822 and go over the Glen Quaich road to Kenmore.
From Dalwhinnie, take the Glen Truim road and then back on A9 cycle path to Kingussie.
Then B970 to Aviemore.
mikec27

Post by mikec27 »

Thanks for all the advice - really really helpful :)
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

A few years ago I stopped at a very good cafe on the southern edge of Dalwhinnie. It's on the LHS if travelling north set back a wee bit from the old A9.

Your tyres will be perfectly ok .

Hopefully there will still be some leaves on the trees. At this time of year they can be spectacular.

I am quite envious!

Cheers
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

PAB855 wrote:A few years ago I stopped at a very good cafe on the southern edge of Dalwhinnie. It's on the LHS if travelling north set back a wee bit from the old A9

No longer there.
keithg

Post by keithg »

rualexander wrote:Turn left off the A822 and go over the Glen Quaich road to Kenmore.
From Dalwhinnie, take the Glen Truim road and then back on A9 cycle path to Kingussie.
Then B970 to Aviemore.

The Glen Quaich (from Amulree to Kenmore) road is a belter, the most scenic road in the area by a long way. By scenic of course, I mean steep!
A local test piece. I still really struggle after the pair of hairpins, with a MTB cassette on the back (32t) I do it with reasonable certainty.