Car parking close to the kerb by the traffic light s

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fixerupper

Re: Car parking close to the kerb by the traffic light s

Post by fixerupper »

Yes weaving between vehicles waiting at traffic lights near side or offside can be very tempting ....But it has a downside. Being doored , fag ends down your neck , windscreen washers and wing mirrors....best to just wait behind imho....
hondated

Post by hondated »

Clearly per our rules I cannot divulge what I have written to the OP but what I can tell you I was not happy at some of the replies the OP received to their question so I have sent him/her a PM.
Why ! Because I would hate to think that whoever they are has been left with a bad impression of our great Forum.
pwa

Post by pwa »

When all is said and done it is just a car mirror. It needs sorting and a few quid may change hands but it is just a car mirror.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pwa wrote:When all is said and done it is just a car mirror. It needs sorting and a few quid may change hands but it is just a car mirror.

As Tony Hancock might have said, it's only a few quid to you mate, but it's an arm and a leg to some people. We don't know what sort of vehicle it was and even less the type of mirror or the extent of the damage but a complete replacement mirror (not just the glass) can easily cost several hundred pounds.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:
pwa wrote:When all is said and done it is just a car mirror. It needs sorting and a few quid may change hands but it is just a car mirror.

As Tony Hancock might have said, it's only a few quid to you mate, but it's an arm and a leg to some people. We don't know what sort of vehicle it was and even less the type of mirror or the extent of the damage but a complete replacement mirror (not just the glass) can easily cost several hundred pounds.

I know, but nobody got hurt and whatever the financial damage it will all seem like one of those little learning experiences a bit further down the line.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pwa wrote: ... I know, but nobody got hurt and whatever the financial damage it will all seem like one of those little learning experiences a bit further down the line.

I'm with you 110% in being glad nobody was hurt, but it's easy to be relaxed about £££ when it's somebody else's.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

rmurphy195 wrote:
pete75 wrote:If it's just teh glass that's broken replacements are available for most common cars at under a tenner on ebay. Fitting is quick and easy.

Yup, these stick onto the broken glass with adhesive.

HOWEVER if its a heated mirror then it won't operate as well, because of the extra thickness of the glass and the adhesive pad acting like an insulator. So if you are relying on your heated mirror to demist, it might not work and would be only a temporary fix to make the vehicle legal.

So while the breaker of the mirror might say "I'll give you a tenner mate, you can get the bits from Halfords" the owner of the vehicle might give a less than polite response.

The one I fixed was heated and so I put in a mirror with a heater element. Volvo V70.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: ... The one I fixed was heated and so I put in a mirror with a heater element. Volvo V70.

Assuming that it was your car, would you have settled for DIY if somebody else had caused the damage?

While awaiting the possible return of the OP, my own replacement mirror glass tale dates to 1998 when the door mirror of my Golf "was in collision with" another going the other way; only the glass was broken. Proper replacement - with a wide-angle strip down the edge - was an arm-and-a-leg fitted, plain glass eight quid. On the VW forecourt I was worried - too frightened - to fit it so I asked a passing mechanic to show me how it was done. Fitted in seconds, but I'd not have messed about like that if I could have successfully claimed from someone else.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

For want of a nail.. The kingdom was lost :?

Reminds me of my 1984 cavalier gl, there was a queer square switch behind the handbrake, eventually understood how to use it: heat/adjust mirrors left and right
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:
pete75 wrote: ... The one I fixed was heated and so I put in a mirror with a heater element. Volvo V70.

Assuming that it was your car, would you have settled for DIY if somebody else had caused the damage?

For something as quick to do as replacing a mirror why not? Why rip someone off for more than I'd be out of pocket am not really a great fan of the compo culture.
Having said that if it was something as time consuming as fitting and spraying a new wing I'd want them to pay a labour charge as well as parts and materials even if I did do the work myself.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:For want of a nail.. The kingdom was lost :?

Reminds me of my 1984 cavalier gl, there was a queer square switch behind the handbrake, eventually understood how to use it: heat/adjust mirrors left and right

They were the ones with no main fuse.......................then they would catch fire.....................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Assuming that it was your car, would you have settled for DIY if somebody else had caused the damage?

For something as quick to do as replacing a mirror why not? Why rip someone off for more than I'd be out of pocket am not really a great fan of the compo culture.
Having said that if it was something as time consuming as fitting and spraying a new wing I'd want them to pay a labour charge as well as parts and materials even if I did do the work myself.

If someone else damaged my car, I'd want it fixed for the least possible hassle. That does not include me buying parts and fitting it.

That includes me delivering a car somewhere and reading a book or going for a bike ride while someone else works. Or maybe a mobile service coming to my house whilst I am at work.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom