Attaching a wagon to a bike... possible?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NoodleBars

Attaching a wagon to a bike... possible?

Post by NoodleBars »

Needing a super-budgetary solution...

Was wondering whether I can somehow attach this guy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... n/34109015

to a bike. If so, how. Would not go more than pootling speed, and for very occasional use. Haven’t yet acquired said bike, would first use wagon as, well, a wagon, but wondering whether I could potentially attach it later. Wagon weighs around 11kg unloaded.

(Eventual bike will be the very cheapest bottom of the range MTB, likely 24” wheels).
thirdcrank

Re: Attaching a wagon to a bike... possible?

Post by thirdcrank »

The linked item is shown as no longer available, which gives you a fresh start.

There are bike trailers of various sorts available with a various different types of fitting. I'd recommend looking at the different styles of trailer and coupling to get some ideas. Equipment sold for bikes is rarely cheap, but if you have an idea of what works, it may give you some ideas for a DIY job
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Quick answer is ....... DEATH

These are not designed for handling the speeds, terrain and movements of a bicycle

No matter what the fitting , a failure of the wagon is almost a certainty

.... OK maybe I exaggerate, but not by much
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Many many years ago I attached a homemade trailer just to the saddle. No problem in handling.
What I would be wondering is how the cart will handle with having castering front wheels. ??
You'll never know if you don't try it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Wheelbarrows are cheap.

Five minutes with a hammer and drill to make a suitable hitch out of the handles and you're good to go with your new single wheeled trailer which would be good for a couple of hundred kilos of hardcore.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Look for a used bike trailer at charity shops, used goods, shops, etc. If your community has a recycling center or something where people can leave / get such things you could try there, too.

You could also try ebay.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Google "tonystrailers" for some great diy trailer stuff."tony" is,in fact,Tony Hoar,an 81yr old ex pro cyclist,living in Vancouver who finished the TDF way back.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Lots of ideas here in the too good to loose section of the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14609
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18003
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

I wouldn't. With 4 rotating castors it will wander sideways on any camber and anything with wheels that small is going to hop and skip all over the place. Years ago I used to push my twins around in a side-by-side pushchair. It had similar sized wheels and several times I nearly tipped the kids into the road when the wheels dropped into a crack in the tarmac, the pram stopped dead and I followed through.