tow bar cycle carrier : 7 pin plug / 13 pin car socket !!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
spartasteve

tow bar cycle carrier : 7 pin plug / 13 pin car socket !!

Post by spartasteve »

I have a tow bar fitted carrier with a lighting board that has a 7 pin 12n plug fitted.
My car however has 13 pin socket fitted.
I purchased an adaptor that converts 13 pin to 7 pin thus allowing the lighting board to be connected to the car.
Alas the adaptor seems not to work, no lights at all.
I checked with my trailer lights and again no lights,
Help please.
RickH

Re: tow bar cycle carrier : 7 pin plug / 13 pin car socket !!

Post by RickH »

Sounds like a faulty adapter.

I've got one on my lightboard & it works as expected. I've also got a 2x7 pin to 13 pin adapter for the trailer tent which works fine too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
meic

Post by meic »

Is the trailer 13 pin straight into the car or 7 pin going through the adaptor?
Yma o Hyd
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

RickH wrote:Sounds like a faulty adapter.

I've got one on my lightboard & it works as expected. I've also got a 2x7 pin to 13 pin adapter for the trailer tent which works fine too.

Totally agree, I have a similar adaptor for the same reason, plug the 7-pin trailer plug into the adaptor,plug the adaptor into the car's 13-pin socket and away you go.

So either a faulty adaptor, faulty 7-pin plug (have you had it checked, especially th earth?) or faulty car socket. If the trailer plug works on other cars, and the car's 13-pin works with your caravan, then the adaptor is faulty.

You should be able to check the adaptor is working, just check for continuity from one side to the other. Just put one end of your tester (multimeter, or battery+bulb+wires) into each of the 7-pin socket receptacles in turn, and see if one of the 13-pin pins shows up. Start with the earth connection if you canidentify it. Lots of diagrams on the internet, such as below, if you want to check which 13-pin bit corresponds with which 7-pin bit

https://www.towbarandtrailercentre.com/wiring-diagrams
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

spartasteve wrote:I have a tow bar fitted carrier with a lighting board that has a 7 pin 12n plug fitted.
I purchased an adaptor that converts 13 pin to 7 pin thus allowing the lighting board to be connected to the car.
Help please.

Have you checked that your 13 pin socket is working, before condemning the adapter? Some installer's wiring leaves a lot to be desired. My current car was already fitted with a towbar when I bought it. However, they managed to tap into the rear light wiring looms outboard of the slack provided for removal of the lights, so no way to change the bulbs!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Airsporter1st wrote:
spartasteve wrote:I have a tow bar fitted carrier with a lighting board that has a 7 pin 12n plug fitted.
Help please.

Have you checked that your 13 pin socket is working, before condemning the adapter? Some installer's wiring leaves a lot to be desired. My current car was already fitted with a towbar when I bought it. However, they managed to tap into the rear light wiring looms outboard of the slack provided for removal of the lights, so no way to change the bulbs!

That reminds me - the new car I bought a year with the "touring pack" of towbar, roof bars and armrest?? has a recall on it for some issue with it affecting the vehicle lights where it connects to the loom. I only use a towball rack from time to time and seldom at night so it can wait until the car's first service in about a month from now.

... and back to the OP - car has the 13 pin socket - I have an adaptor down to 7 pin for the rack - works fine (the adaptor stays on the car cable-tied t the car socket, with the little weather-proof flap closed)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker