Whatever happened to Bikesters?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
quack

Whatever happened to Bikesters?

Post by quack »

Does anyone know what happened to ronhill bikesters? I wanted to retire a couple of well used pairs, but can't seem to fine replacements anywhere. If they've gone the way of all things, can anyone suggest good alternatives?
Last edited by quack on 14 Oct 2018, 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.
bogmyrtle

Re: Whatever happened to Bikesters?

Post by bogmyrtle »

I think they stopped being made a while ago. Tracksters are still made. I've always found these to be perfectly acceptable for cycling but like you, mine are years old. I'm guessing that todays version may not be made to be as long lasting.
I have a couple of pairs of Alturas that are ok but can't remember the type. Again I've had the Alturas a while. They are not too expensive if they don't work out.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

There seems to be less and less choice of unpadded waist cycling tights. Bikesters have been discontinued but you can still get tracksters . I just found out that Endura multi tights are no longer made which is a shame as they fit quite well. Fashion is now for bib tights and padded, both of which I find unnecessary.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

There are different quality levels with Tracksters. The materials vary in thickness and the fitting can be loose or tight. The basic classic trousers are thin with a tiny inside pocket and a tightening lace round the waist. Same as Bikesters but not raised at the back.
PH

Post by PH »

I miss them as well, I have a pair of tracksters but they don't fit me as well as the bikesters I've had.
For winter wear I'm currently using Rohan Troggings, not cycle specific and benefit from some form of trouser "clip", I use Velcro straps. They are not cheap, but mine have stood up to a lot of wear over three winters and I've found them comfortable enough to ride all day in.
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and ... e=05142355

I'm increasingly using longish casual shorts and leg warmers, the Corinne Dennis ones have been a bit of a revelation, very comfortable, good fit, warm and not shiny.
franch

Post by franch »

They were the best mate!!!!!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Tracksters and braces works for me.
RickH

Post by RickH »

PH wrote:I miss them as well, I have a pair of tracksters but they don't fit me as well as the bikesters I've had.

Ironically I found the reverse.

My old tracksters were good for cycling but the later bikesters that I bought thinking they might work better on the bike were never really comfortable. The front of the waist was far too low & I usually ended up with a gap between them & my top if I stood upright off the bike.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There doesn't look to be much difference between the Bikesters and Tracksters. I have a pair of Bikesters, over ten years old now, but if I were buying now I'd probably choose something without foot loops.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The last Tracksters that I bought had gained an awkward to use, folded pocket inside at the front replacing

the more useful zipped rear pocket. I mostly use Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active now, which are about £30 on

' The Bay of Ease ', I just tuck 'em in my socks for that stylish ' Nu-Codger look ', good winter trousers

in my experience.

R2 started a thread about them a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=117244
Nu-Fogey
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

colin54 wrote:The last Tracksters that I bought had gained an awkward to use, folded pocket inside at the front replacing

the more useful zipped rear pocket. I mostly use Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active now, which are about £30 on

' The Bay of Ease ', I just tuck 'em in my socks for that stylish ' Nu-Codger look ', good winter trousers

in my experience.

R2 started a thread about them a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=117244

Debenhams often have Craghopper stuff at half price. Worth looking out for.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote:The last Tracksters that I bought had gained an awkward to use, folded pocket inside at the front replacing the more useful zipped rear pocket.

I didn't know they ever had a rear pocket. I thought mine were a fairly early example (80s probably) & they only have a little internal front pocket (only good for a little change &/or a small handkerchief). The Bikesters, bought later (they may also have been 80s or possibly into the 90s), also have the same.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I had some Bikesters but found them a bit cold to wear. I've replaced them with Altura Winter Cruisers, which have a nice warm Roubaix-fleece. I also have a pair of Tudorsport Longs. These really are old school, the type we used to wear 40 years ago. Warm and comfortable and they don't look too bad off the bike.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

RickH wrote:
colin54 wrote:The last Tracksters that I bought had gained an awkward to use, folded pocket inside at the front replacing the more useful zipped rear pocket.

I didn't know they ever had a rear pocket. I thought mine were a fairly early example (80s probably) & they only have a little internal front pocket (only good for a little change &/or a small handkerchief). The Bikesters, bought later (they may also have been 80s or possibly into the 90s), also have the same.

Mine too (tiny front pocket, supposedly for keys or change).
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Are there any recommended braces for trousers like the Tudor Sports ones? They can be a bit saggy, especially when damp, and if I'm going to moon following traffic I'd prefer it to be an intentional choice... :wink: