Guilford to London by Tow Path

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikerwaser

Guilford to London by Tow Path

Post by bikerwaser »

Hi All

I'm planning a ride up to London from Poole and I've stumbled apon this section which can be done on tow path.

It looks great . I'd just like to know if anyone has any other info or advice on it?

http://www.cyclingfromguildford.co.uk/route1.html

Thanks !
mercalia

Re: Guilford to London by Tow Path

Post by mercalia »

Wey Navigation? Comes out at Weybridge? Have to be careful to take the correct turning so you dont go to Aldershot ( Basingstoke Canal nr where it passes under M25 I believe )
I havent done it for a long time but I remember it is guite easy, good surface ( in the summer). I dont know about this time of year as I suppose as its earth it could be muddy when it rains
Bob999

Post by Bob999 »

It's fine as long as you are not in a rush and your bike can withstand a bit of vibration!

Once out of the Guildford built-up area you'll be on towpath that is OK, with road-planings-type surface on some parts and various muddy and rooty bits elsewhere. A typical towpath experience really. An alternative is to make your to Woking (there's an NCR from Guildford that goes a little way up the towpath then road and cycle track) and you can then join the Basingstoke Canal towpath earlier than you would otherwise, and benefit from a long surfaced section. On the other hand I think the Wey Navigation between Guildford and Woking is more scenic and there's not much chance of a wrong turn.

Thames towpath upstream of Hampton Court is OK but hasn't really been re-instated since it flooded a few years ago so you get puddles along some parts of it.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

There's a towpath from Frimley to Addlestone (Basingstoke Canal), which is surfaced for the middle part (as far as West Byfleet). From West Byfleet to Addlestone it's a bit rooty, then you go from Addlestone to Weybridge along the Wey Navigation, then you get from the Weybridge (short connecting bit of road) to Hampton Court Bridge along the Thames.

Once you make it through Kingston, which is not particularly pleasant to cycle through you need to drop into Richmond Park and head from the bottom left to top right, so to speak. After that it's basically playing with traffic, nothing much pleasant going on.

If you went via Guildford there's a stretch which isn't very far which takes you from Stoke Park to Clay Lane in a nature park on the edge of the A3, which is quite ok, but several gates, probably a little mud, but not much IYSWIM. From there's a short stretch of somewhat narrow road, which is ok 40mph, but not exactly, pleasant, then right at Sutton Green to Woking Park, which is a pleasant set of B roads. A quick slog through Woking town centre and drop onto Frimley - Addlestone towpath as before.

If you're doing Poole - London in one day I shouldn't imagine you'd necessarily want to go on so many slow paths and probably better stick to the roads. In this case, from Guildford just head out along the Woking Road then down the other side of Clay Lane to Sutton Green as before.

From Woking instead of using towpaths, head along the A320 then down Slade Road at Ottershaw, then via Addlestone, Weybridge on the main roads to the A3050 which you follow as far as Hampton Court Bridge, then the same route as above via Richmond Park.

(Sorry I couldn't get the site you linked to to open, so not sure what they said there.)
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Thanks for the info.

If anyone couldn't open the website link then the guy also has a blog which is good :

http://cycle-geography.blogspot.com/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bikerwaser wrote:Thanks for the info.

If anyone couldn't open the website link then the guy also has a blog which is good :

http://cycle-geography.blogspot.com/

thanks for that always interested in rides around London
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Ok website working now. It seems to presume starting at Guildford station. I would note also London Road station. From here (or other points in Guildford) head down Nightingale Road and through Stoke Park and along the path marked on Google Maps. Nicer than using the canal in Guildford IME.

Alternative entry points at Guildford College or on the A25 at Guildford Spectrum, and then the path goes to the left side of Guildford Spectrum and joins the Wey Navigation.