Getting out of Southampton!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nareloc

Getting out of Southampton!

Post by Nareloc »

Does anyone know if there is a safe way of cycling from the Red Funnel Isle of Wight Ferry terminal to Cadnam? I have driven it years ago and seem to remember it being a very busy road, dual carriageway in most parts.
mrtrip

Re: Getting out of Southampton!

Post by mrtrip »

There’s a cycle route from Southampton to Totton centre and then go up Salisbury Road to Calmore, through Tatchbury, Winsor, And then you’re virtually in Cadnam [emoji1303]
Or follow the A35 to Ashurst then through Woodlands and Bartley to Cadnam [emoji1303]

Pretty sure both options have a cycle path on all dual carriageway sections so there won’t be many miles on busy roads.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
peetee

Post by peetee »

As mentioned there is a cycle route but it is difficult to follow and rather disjointed as it meanders around the A35 leaving the sh, sorry, city. Alternatively you could get the adjacent foot ferry to Hythe and cycle across the forest via Dibden, Marchwood, Long Down, Ashurst, Woodlands and Bartley.
Last edited by peetee on 15 Oct 2018, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cycle streets give some fairly good instructions
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

+1 for the ferry to Hythe and then across the forest, far more pleasant.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

Thanks for all the advice. I think the Hythe route sounds like the winner for me! I can then cut across to Lyndhurst. Day one of my Isle of Wight to Isle of Lewis solo ride.
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

If you are coming from the IOW then the Lymington is a much nicer landing spot - just a thought.
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

Agree about the Lymington route. But, for logistical reasons, (arranging accommodation etc) it has got to be Southampton this time.