E-MTB vs. Non-E

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jfagan

E-MTB vs. Non-E

Post by jfagan »

Heres a juicy topic which i really need help with.

I recently rode a full sus E-MTB up at Cannock chase, UK and i LOVED IT. The raw power and stability of it while jumping and hitting the rough stuff filled with me adrenaline the whole way round.
Once i jumped back on my regular hardtail push bike i missed buzz of riding a EMTB. I now face a problem however.

With a bit of spare cash sitting in my account, i really debating whether to get a carbon fibre standard full sus as the lack of weight and looks excites me orto get an alloy full sus EMTB.

As a little bit of back ground, itll be a pure trail riding bike with ups and downs, smooth parts and with some harsh stuff mixed in their too. I just need help figuring out which would be the best use of my moolah.

Thanks in advance...
yostumpy

Re: E-MTB vs. Non-E

Post by yostumpy »

The only person that can answer that, is sitting at your keyboard. Back in about 1992 I had some spare cash, and it was a descision between and 'enduro' motorcycle, (road legal but for trail riding, green lanes etc) or a NEW then, MTB before they were fashionable. Both about the same money, But iI opted to spend £450 (in 1992 !!) on a Saracen Traverse MTB,reasoning that I wouldn't get fit riding a Motorcycle, and the cost of upkeep etc made it a no brainer in the end.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

yostumpy wrote:The only person that can answer that, is sitting at your keyboard. Back in about 1992 I had some spare cash, and it was a descision between and 'enduro' motorcycle, (road legal but for trail riding, green lanes etc) or a NEW then, MTB before they were fashionable. Both about the same money, But iI opted to spend £450 (in 1992 !!) on a Saracen Traverse MTB,reasoning that I wouldn't get fit riding a Motorcycle, and the cost of upkeep etc made it a no brainer in the end.

So, not this one, then?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Travers ... Sw4cBbmo08
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

haha! no not that one, chain's a bit sl..., My Traverse was Tange DB, and was the dogs, in its day. , which wasn't for long, but I had it 12 years. Proper bike, not at all like that engined BSO. :D
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

e-bikes are Great !!!! I really enjoy mine...Sure ther are many that say ''its cheating , its not proper cycling etc'' but if are not a super fit Elite and want to get fitter then go ahead and get one.....I got one to use as a day to run about when on holiday...My other half has one too...shes not super fit but loves her ebike...

I enjoy taking mine to downhills course...Save every young up hill for the thrill of going like the clappers downhill :D

I must also point out that I have a number of traditional cycles ...so I enjoy both worlds :D

What I will advise is you get what you pay for...Chinese / eBay specials may look good value but they soon fall to bits and you may end up spending more on replacement parts than the value of the bike..The batteries are not always up to the job..

There are two types on sale in the UK....Pedelec ( electrically assisted pedal cycle - max speed with elec assistance is 15mph ) which can be ridden as a normal pedal cycle and what is called an Spedelec ( which has a higher top speed and falls into the category of an electrically propelled motor vehicle --- you need a motorcycle licence and it must have a reg plate / insurance and must wear a motorcycle crash helmet )

I would go along to your nearest dealer and have a spin on one....then make that important decision ...Its nearly Christmas :?