Sending an eBike by air

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
paieye

Sending an eBike by air

Post by paieye »

I am due to make up a party of 4 cycling in Italy next spring. I have no intention of doing so unless I am able to ride my non-standard Brompton eBike. I understand, though, that I may not take such a bicycle with me, as batteries of the relevant size are classed as a hazard. However, there are carriers advertising such transport -- has anyone had experience of them ? If so, what is involved ?
cyclemad

Re: Sending an eBike by air

Post by cyclemad »

air carriers will not allow you to ship the lithium battery ..It needs to go by land / sea...

I looked into this earlier this year to ship my wifes bike to iTALY.....Bike ...no problem...battery was a big no..

Another alternative , and its an expensive one, is to ship the bike and either rent or buy a battery at your destination.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Cyclmad is right, I tried to look at disabled bike carriage.
The problem is CAA rules.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before ... n-baggage/
Contact the airline direct as a last resort, but best to hire at the destination
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe it could be sent by land courier/parcel service
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Why not post the battery to the first place you're staying at or if that's not practical poste restante to the closest post office to your destination airport.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

pete75 wrote:Why not post the battery to the first place you're staying at or if that's not practical poste restante to the closest post office to your destination airport.

Because you're not allowed to post batteries on their own.
https://www.royalmail.com/business/syst ... t-2015.pdf
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pedals2slowly wrote:
pete75 wrote:Why not post the battery to the first place you're staying at or if that's not practical poste restante to the closest post office to your destination airport.

That's Royal Mail. There are other carriers. In case they're allowed when part of a device and they're part of an ebike power pack most are not just batteries and nothing else. Presumably the OP would want to take his charger and he could post that with it - Parcel Force say 'Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when not sent with or connected to an electronic device.' Posting with the charger means they are being sent with an electronic device.
Last edited by pete75 on 26 Oct 2018, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

pete75 wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:

That's Royal Mail. There are other carriers. In any case they're allowed when part of a device and the device is an ebike power pack.

See my post above CAA prohibition of Lithium batteries.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pedals2slowly wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:

That's Royal Mail. There are other carriers. In any case they're allowed when part of a device and the device is an ebike power pack.

Read my full post quoting what Royal Mail/Parcelforce say. Batteries are allowed as long as they're not on their own. What difference that makes I don't know but that's what they say.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

pete75 wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Read my full post quoting what Royal Mail/Parcelforce say. Batteries are allowed as long as they're not on their own. What difference that makes I don't know but that's what they say.

If you look at the original post they are asking for people who have actually had experience of doing this, not 'i think you can do this'.
My experience is that you can't.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pedals2slowly wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pedals2slowly wrote:

If you look at the original post they are asking for people who have actually had experience of doing this, not 'i think you can do this'.
My experience is that you can't.

Fedex say you can http://www.fedex.com/gb/learn/lithium-batteries.html . I have had experience of the shipping of batteries with Fedex. I received an ebike battery from China shipped by the company.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

paieye wrote:I am due to make up a party of 4 cycling in Italy next spring. I have no intention of doing so unless I am able to ride my non-standard Brompton eBike?

Then you really have no intention of doing so....so don’t?
You’ve sort of answered your own question haven’t you?Unless you can do it on your terms then you won’t.
Seems pretty straight forward to me!
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

paieye wrote: However, there are carriers advertising such transport -- has anyone had experience of them ? If so, what is involved ?

The answer is;
Contact those carriers and ask them what is required. You will probably need to state the battery capacity, approximate weight and size of parcel. You may need to state the battery weight of metals, and lithium content... ask them.

If you want to know if anyone has experience with those carriers... then name them. My crystal ball packed up long ago, :wink:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Non standard?? In what way?

If it is a Brompton conversion, you could contact them and ask about their agents in Italy. You may be able to hire a battery.