Bikes on London-Cambridge Greater Anglia trains?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LinusR

Re: Bikes on London-Cambridge Greater Anglia trains?

Postby LinusR » 12 May 2019, 8:08pm

Greater Anglia again messed passengers around on a Sunday morning. Five of us from our club were due to catch the 09:28 this morning from London Liverpool Street to Audley End to enjoy a day's cycling. This morning I double checked the train times with National Rail and it flagged up a "cancelled" for that train. Subsequent trains were confirmed to run. So I alert club mates and suggested the next train 30 mins later. When we got to the station that train was also cancelled. So another 30 minutes and... yes, you guessed it, that train was also cancelled. The reason given was overunning engineering works north or Stansted. Three trains cancelled at very short notice. So we aborted the rendezvous with club mates in Audley End and got a train to Hertford East instead after ticket refunds and new tickets issued. The train to HE did at least run on time.

However, during all this messing around one of the station staff at Liverpool Street told one of our group that later this year - maybe quite soon - that no cycles will be allowed on any of the London Cambridge Trains! Cycles are already not allowed on any Stanted airport trains even though they are stopping trains (ie, not express to Stansted). Anyone else heard about this?

AM7

Re: Bikes on London-Cambridge Greater Anglia trains?

Postby AM7 » 24 May 2019, 12:50pm

LinusR wrote:However, during all this messing around one of the station staff at Liverpool Street told one of our group that later this year - maybe quite soon - that no cycles will be allowed on any of the London Cambridge Trains! Cycles are already not allowed on any Stanted airport trains even though they are stopping trains (ie, not express to Stansted). Anyone else heard about this?

Although I never take anything for granted with TOCs, I seriously doubt that. At the moment, the London-Cambridge line has the most lenient bike restrictions of any Greater Anglia service into London, and even those aren’t enforced (I’ve travelled on that line into and out of Liverpool St with my non folding bike during peak times many times with no issues and I’ve seen many others do likewise), so a complete ban would seem rather draconian. I suppose they could be tightening things up though as I believe there will be new rolling stock coming in soon. We’ll find out soon enough I guess.

Incidentally, whether they stop at stations along the way or not, all trains between Liverpool St and Stansted Airport are Stansted Express services so different conditions apply to regular GA trains. Having said that, I’ve also taken my bike on Stansted Express trains many times with no dramas.