River Parrett crossings

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hayers

River Parrett crossings

Post by hayers »

In the process of planning my big trip for next year and noticed my sustrans map no.4 (sometset levels) shows 3 roads crossing the parrett between the m5 at bridgewater and the a361 at burrowbridge whereas google maps - and the satellite imagery don't show these.

Does anyone know if they are / were ever there? Wondering perhaps if they were victims of floods or flood defences?

Assuming they don't exist, glad i found out via my laptop rather than arriving at a dead end!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: River Parrett crossings

Post by Mick F »

Been up that way loadsa times, but to be honest the only times I've ever noticed the crossing of the Parrett was when driving on the M5 as there's a sign to say you're crossing it.

Cycling, I always go up/down the A38 to/from Bridgwater, and never noticed a crossing.
Mick F. Cornwall
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I suspect this is an issue of the cartographic style used in these maps. They have round 'line caps' and a thick stroke weight, which means the road appears to extend further than it actually does. When there are two roads close together on opposite sides of the river, they consequently appear to join up even though in reality they don't. When I was giving feedback on the Thames Valley map (with my Ranger hat on) I pointed this out at Bablock Hythe near Oxford - the map gave the illusion of there being a crossing over the River Thames, and sadly there isn't!

OpenStreetMap suggests no crossings between Burrowbridge and the M5, and I'm sure it's right.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Open street map doesn't show them so I doubt they're there now.

Nothing between the M5 and Burrowbridge, although Somerset Bridge (wheeling ramps up/down but you could cycle beside the railway) is only just downstream of the M5.

I think the A38 crosses on Broadway, which is an unremarkable bridge. If you want to go through the town, Town Bridge is a nicer crossing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yep there are no crossings other than the foot bridge alongside the railway bridge. I find this ok if you don’t want to go into Bridgwater
hayers

Post by hayers »

Thanks all.

interesting to know about the map format issue - will remember to double check in future!

Currently leaning towards taking the a38 south to n. Petherton then picking up the lanes again
honesty

Post by honesty »

If your heading south from north petherton there’s a few options.
1. Stick to the a38. I don’t like this road so wouldn’t be my choice.
2. The canal. I don’t have a problem with the surface but some do.
3. North Newton then the lane along side the motorway, over the a361, down to Creech st Michael
4. Thurloxton, West Monkton, Cheddon Fitzpaine.

Personally I’d do 2 or 4. 3 ok but you have to still cross the motorway.
Last edited by honesty on 27 Oct 2018, 7:23am, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

The foot crossing at Somerset bridge is North of the M5 and should be avoided at the moment as the relief road is under construction and will cause you a lot of aggravation. There are no bridges south of the M5 until you reach Burrowbridge. If coming south and you want some picturest lanes consider picking up the canal towpath from the old Taunton road in Bridgwater, then come south to Somerset bridge then minor roads to Hunt worth, Moorland and Burrowbridge. Cross the A361 then Turn Right after crossing the river Tone to Athelney. Cross over the railway crossing and carry on climbing the ridge to Stoke st Gregory then turn right to North Curry, (excellent community cafe ,closed on Mondays, ) then carry on to rejoin the canal at creech st Michael and follow the towpath to the A38 at bathpool or carry on into Taunton and join the A38 after the town bridge.
I believe the OS deliberately put misleading info in some of their mapping data so they could identify anyone using it. The non existent crossing of the parrett in Moorland shown on some maps is one such case. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
honesty

Post by honesty »

rjb wrote:The foot crossing at Somerset bridge is North of the M5 and should be avoided at the moment as the relief road is under construction and will cause you a lot of aggravation. There are no bridges south of the M5 until you reach Burrowbridge. If coming south and you want some picturest lanes consider picking up the canal towpath from the old Taunton road in Bridgwater, then come south to Somerset bridge then minor roads to Hunt worth, Moorland and Burrowbridge. Cross the A361 then Turn Right after crossing the river Tone to Athelney. Cross over the railway crossing and carry on climbing the ridge to Stoke st Gregory then turn right to North Curry, (excellent community cafe ,closed on Mondays, ) then carry on to rejoin the canal at creech st Michael and follow the towpath to the A38 at bathpool or carry on into Taunton and join the A38 after the town bridge.
I believe the OS deliberately put misleading info in some of their mapping data so they could identify anyone using it. The non existent crossing of the parrett in Moorland shown on some maps is one such case. :wink:

Second the recommendation for the North Curry cafe. 3 quid for a coffee and a fantastic piece of cake.
hayers

Post by hayers »

Thanks for the tips - good starting point for planning
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I would stay off the A38 if at all possible. We were down that way a couple of weeks ago, staying in a cottage just off the A38. It was busy all day long with fast moving, heavy traffic and lots of HGV's. We only had to ride about a mile on it beFore turning off into the much quieter lanes of the Somerset Levels.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
honesty

Post by honesty »

honesty wrote:If your heading south from north petherton there’s a few options.
1. Stick to the a38. I don’t like this road so wouldn’t be my choice.
2. The canal. I don’t have a problem with the surface but some do.
3. North Newton then the lane along side the motorway, over the a361, down to Creech st Michael
4. Thurloxton, West Monkton, Cheddon Fitzpaine.

Personally I’d do 2 or 4. 3 ok but you have to still cross the motorway.

I should say there is a 5th option as well. Go up onto the aqua ticks past Clavelshay and Broomfield (NT cafe there) and down the other side to Bidhops Lydeard. This has climbing and steep downhills though!
David9694

Post by David9694 »

You can check this sort of detail via the OS maps on Bing Maps, or better still, acquire them via ViewRanger. Clearly no bridges.

I’ve heard the OS map deliberate errors thing as well, but we’re in the exams of TV detector vans and similar tricks with computer code - if it is true, and plagiarism isn’t unknown in commercial map making, I don’t think it would be to add “the only river crossing for miles around” to trap catographic rivals!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
mjr

Post by mjr »

More likely to upset customers than trap rivals IMO!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I crossed the Parrett twice yesterday Bristol Airport and back.
Once going north, and then coming south.
Both on the M5! :D
Mick F. Cornwall