Route creation software

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Route creation software

Post by Mick F »

The issue there, was that the sign says 20% so a surveyor must have assessed it as such.
No chevrons, when it should have had two.
Also, a 20% sign at the bottom to prove it.
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 08.55.46.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 08.57.22.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:The issue there, was that the sign says 20% so a surveyor must have assessed it as such.
Also, a 20% sign at the bottom to prove it.$matches[2]Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 08.57.22.png

● Implied precision? If the hill measured as 16.4653% what would you expect on the sign?
● Rounding?
● Averaging? what distance to the OS average the hill over vs what distance to the road signs cover?
● Combination of the above

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:I had an Edge305, then an Edge705 .............. and now a Montana and an Edge20.
All had their files transferred by USB and Finder in my Macs. Never an issue.

Montana needs them in the GPX folder and Edge20 into New Files folder. Edge20 will only accept Garmin FIT files.
Just drag and drop into them from anywhere on my computer.

All works fine using a simple file nanager with my etrex 20. It is important to "unmount" or whatever it's called the garmin from the pc under software control before physically djsconnecting it, or you can get read-write issues. Does this perhaps explain some folks' occasional problems.

The file manager approach has worked fine for me with a variety of PCs, two chromebooks and an Android tablet.
Sweep
sjs

Post by sjs »

sjs wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:Possibly QMapShack? It appears to have a Mac version available for download - https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmapshack/downloads/ - and documentation at https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmapshack/wiki/DocMain . I suspect it might not be the simplest program to use, but who knows. It appears to be able to read Garmin-format maps (.img) which are of course extensively available for free.

(and thank you al, Psamathe and landsurfer for the kind comments, of course!)

Having had a few days off I took a look at QMapShack, a descendant of QlandkarteGT, which I tried out a few years ago and gave up on on grounds of user-hostility. I reckon it does what Mick wants, albeit with a bit of a learning curve. It does indeed display a .img map file I downloaded from the talkytoaster site, it allows creation of waypoints, tracks and routes and, after more learning and downloading of OSM data, it will do offline routing based on a tool called routino. This was on an Ubuntu machine; I don't know whether it would be possible on a Mac.

Perhaps I've too much time on my hands, but having played a bit more with QMapShack I've downloaded some "digital elevation model" data from viewfinderpanoramas.org. I reckon it's now at least as useful to me as bikehike, and completely offline, once the maps have been downloaded.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
(and thank you al, Psamathe and landsurfer for the kind comments, of course!)

No need Richard what you have done is amazing far outperforming anything else for cycle touring. I do hope you are making a decent return for all your hard work especially as you make it available for free.

Al (a very happy user)
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'd like to find a route creation software that I can run on an older mobile phone that is no longer supported by Google. Annoying how you are forced into buying a newer phone just to get the App. Even Apple have dropped the 4s. 16gb and you can't use it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:
Mick F wrote:The issue there, was that the sign says 20% so a surveyor must have assessed it as such.
Also, a 20% sign at the bottom to prove it.$matches[2]Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 08.57.22.png

● Implied precision? If the hill measured as 16.4653% what would you expect on the sign?
Good question.

Go to the hill from the west on the A390 down to Lostwithiel with a single chevron, you get a sign that says 17% .
Therefore some signs can be tailored for the hill?
Cycled down that hill only the other day. :D
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 15.02.04.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 15.05.34.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.40126 ... 312!8i6656

Sweep wrote:
Mick F wrote:I had an Edge305, then an Edge705 .............. and now a Montana and an Edge20.
All had their files transferred by USB and Finder in my Macs. Never an issue.

Montana needs them in the GPX folder and Edge20 into New Files folder. Edge20 will only accept Garmin FIT files.
Just drag and drop into them from anywhere on my computer.

All works fine using a simple file nanager with my etrex 20. It is important to "unmount" or whatever it's called the garmin from the pc under software control before physically djsconnecting it, or you can get read-write issues. Does this perhaps explain some folks' occasional problems.

The file manager approach has worked fine for me with a variety of PCs, two chromebooks and an Android tablet.
I use CleanEject.
Mick F. Cornwall