Packing a bike box for EasyJet flight

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Schindlersontour

Packing a bike box for EasyJet flight

Post by Schindlersontour »

The EasyJet allowance for bike boxes is 32kg yet they say no other items (e.g clothing) can be carried in the bike box. My bike and box is about 13-14kg and I would be happy to put a few small items (sleeping bag and clothes) adding a couple extra kgs, but don’t want to do it if they are going to make me unpack them at the airport. Has anyone travelled with a bike box on EasyJet and did you add anything to the box?
ChrisF

Re: Packing a bike box for EasyJet flight

Post by ChrisF »

Yes, I've done this several times. It's a bit of a risk I suppose but no-one has ever asked details of what's inside. Normally I pack one pannier in the box, sort of squashed in the central triangle, containing just clothes. Cycling shoes go loose, wrapped in bubblewrap along with the pedals. The other pannier I carry as hand luggage. I've never taken camping gear on a flight though.
Chris F, Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Likewise, only pack for fixed accommodation, but some clothes, shoes, helmet are packed around the bike along with tools (don't be tempted to take gas cylinder in hand luggage).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Schindlersontour

Thanks very much
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Flown many times with Easyjet from Liverpool. I pack helmet, shoes, tools and a few other bits and pieces. Not had a problem yet. Easyjet just checked the weight and then I take the box to separate X-ray machine operated by airport personnel.
The same coming back, Easyjet check weight and again take box to have it X-rayed by others.
I know others have packed allsorts such as clothing and not had problem. The only time I have seen somebody have to open a bike-box was when they had gas cylinders in. But even now I believe you are allowed two cylinders in a box.
You could say that the sleeping bag and clothes are padding. :wink:
Last edited by cycleruk on 28 Oct 2018, 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Schindlersontour

Great to hear your experiences, thanks.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I use Easyjet to Mallorca and everything barring toiletries/cash/phone and Passport goes in the bike box with the bike.Never had a problem.There were 30 of us on the flight in May and no one had any issues.So long as you're under the limit I don't think they care.Seems like a stupid rule anyway.A case is a case is a case you're paying so why shouldn't you be allowed to fill it to the weight limit with your belongings?
I did have to have a "designated" person come to sign my box off as I admitted to having two CO2 canisters in the box but that's it.No problem taking the CO2 it just needs someone from Easyjet so sign it off.Everyone else said they didn't have any(most did) and this wasn't questioned.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Yep, same here. I flew easyJet back from Malaga, packed tent, pannier with tools etc in there and no problem. The oversized luggage drop where the box is scanned won't be airline specific staffed, so as long as you've got the label on it from the easyJet baggage drop desk, all they will be looking for is anything dodgy that shows up on the scan, not that you've packed anything along with your bike.
roadster1

Post by roadster1 »

I've packed tools in with the bike.
If you are tight for space in your hand luggage, Easy jet confirmed to me that a helmet doesn't count if you carry it on carry it on separately.
Schindlersontour

Thanks everyone for your replies, feel confident now to pack a few things in the bike box.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

I'm going to Palma in March with Easyjet, anyone had any recent experience re. packing a bit extra in the box?
Thanks, Bogs.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Which UK airport?

I have flown Gatwick a few times, including 3 months ago. You self check in, stick the labels on your bag or box, then take it to oversize. They ask you if it is an electric bike (3 or 4 times in my case), then it disappears through the xray machine. The oversize guy is not easyjet so he is not interested in anything apart from illegal stuff.

Also no questions a couple of years ago from Southend.

In smaller airports the easyjet staff may handle the box and be a bit more inquisitive. However if sealed and not silly heavy, then I doubt you will have a problem, but no one can guarantee this if they decide to open and look.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

It is Gatwick Simon and by what you say I feel confident with a rack bag with tools, inner tubes etc maybe a few random bits of clothing for packing/protection. + helmet. Thanks.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Shouldn't be problem, but make sure they are all secured, just in case the box get split.

I normally use my cable lock to secure my beloved Brooks to the frame.

Enjoy your trip.
ciclotico

Post by ciclotico »

Hi cyclefolks! Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a cardboard box for bike shipping at Gatwick airport? I'll fly back to Rome with Easyjet this summer at the end of the Avenue Verte from Paris, It's an one way trip so I really don't know how to get the box for my flight. Any suggestion? Thanks