Frame renovation work

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercianman

Frame renovation work

Post by mercianman »

Does anybody on here know of somebody local to me in Lytham St Annes who could undertake some frame renovation work. I want a few items removing, cable guides etc, bottle case bosses added and the rear ends restored to their original track ends ???
munroad

Re: Frame renovation work

Post by munroad »

You could try Paul Hewitt in Leyland. He gets frames built somewhere!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

munroad wrote:You could try Paul Hewitt in Leyland. He gets frames built somewhere!

I thought hewitt frames came from the east, with them just sent out for various paint jobs?
Sweep
munroad

Post by munroad »

That's true for the Cheviot tourer, but he also advertises Reynolds and Columbus tubing frames for other road bikes.
Might be worth giving him a ring anyway. I've always found him very helpful.
PH

Post by PH »

Steve Goff is over that way somewhere, though I have no experience of dealing with him. Then there's Atlantic Boulevard somewhere north of Manchester, better known for their finishing (They do frames from some other builders) they also do repairs/alterations, never used them though someone I know into restorations rates the painting. After that, there's a cluster of framebuilders in the Peak District/South Pennines - Vernon Barker, Woodrup, Ellis Briggs, Eddison, all of them have good reputations, Vernon barker is the only one I have had dealing with and it all went as planned.
Paul Hewitt does offer custom frames, they used to be built elsewhere, though I've not been there for a few years and they've moved premises since. They did a repair/respray for me a couple of years ago and the paint was disappointing, though they were quick to redo it when I pointed it out. Second time around is OK, but not the quality of the original when Mike Knowels (sp?) was doing them.
If as the OPs name suggests it's a Mercian and they want it restored as original rather than just as usable, I'd be tempted to take it to Mercian. It's a cheap day out on the train to take it to Derby and Mercian know how to wrap and post for safe return. EDIT - though maybe not if you're in a hurry, I understand there's a bit of a waiting list...
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Mick Kowal?
disherwood

Post by disherwood »

Not sure if you got sorted on this but a guy called Chris Marshall....Bingley....
Great guy.....very capable.....reworked my 1966 woodrup and reenamled......
Comes from the pennine cycles / mapplbeck route around west yorkshire