Download routes from internet

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jfagan

Download routes from internet

Post by jfagan »

Does anyone know if there is a website where i can download routes from the internet that i can ride to?? Im bored of riding the same route again and again and want to do some new routes. Looking to input 20miles around where i live and it creates a random route for me to follow.

Any advice will be helpful

Thanks
RickH

Re: Download routes from internet

Post by RickH »

The ubiquitous, at least on these forums, Cycle.Travel. If you go to the map page, it will generate circular routes around a defined distance from a selected point (it will give you 3 suggestions) or out & back routes between 2 points.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
IMHO you are better developing your own because many will include heavily-used roads that aren't much fun on a bike
Cycle Travel is a good suggestion with quiet routes but can include unpaved sections that lighter tyres might not be suitable for.
Another option is OSM with the cycle map layer activated (use the icon on the right that looks like three stacked sheets of paper) to see the red and blue-coloured routes. The dashed routes can include unpaved sections too
You don't have to sign in to use the maps with either site
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Various people develop a taste for different sites. Within my club RidewithGPS is used for route planning and there are stacks of routes just sitting there waiting to be used. Thousands.
blastroundthehead

Post by blastroundthehead »

I agree with ridegps, I use it extensively.
Also BikeMap and Komoot...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

If going to a new place I look on RideGPS first and see what others have done. It does at least give me some ideas, from there I use cycle travel to make my route.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pick a destination and ride there and a different way back?
Easier said than done, as I too have become bored of riding the same roads over and over again. I empathise with jfagan our OP.

What I did, was to pick a "task" to complete. Picking an obsession.

First, was to ride over all the bridges over the River Tamar. Twenty-three of those, and it took me a week or so to tick them off.
Next, I had the stupid idea of riding every road in Cornwall. This is still on-going even after maybe ten years.
Then, I decided to ride over all the bridges over the A30 from Exeter to Land's End. Seventy-nine of those, and I've done them all.
Now, my latest obsession, is to ride to all the parish churches in Cornwall. 225 of those, and as of yesterday, I've done 104.

The car or train come into all these tasks to get me into the area to do it as it's way too far to do in one day, and since August, I doubt anyone locally has seen me out and about on my bike because I'm riding pastures new. :D

I'm much much MUCH more happy now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

+3 for Ride with GPS.

Mike
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

A above, personal choices, but they all miss the fun of getting lost!

Quite often I would just get on teh bike and ride, taking roads that looked interesting, A church in the distance, an interesting local feature. Of course it does go wrong occasionally, but again that is all part of the experience.

When I did want to travel a distance between two points, I liked Cycle Streets Mainly because it gives three alternatives... Fast, Quiet and Mixed, giving a good choice that could then be tailored to suit
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you are registered on Garmin Connect, have a look at the routes - search Courses. You can display them by List or Map and select one to view the route. These are routes that have been made by others and then made public. I did this whilst on holiday in Somerset and it came back with quite a few suggestions of nearby routes. The advantage of this is that these routes are often made by locals who will be familiar with the best roads to ride on in an area.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Try https://www.plotaroute.com/routefinder

Just enter your location and it will search though rides posted by others
geomannie
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Blimey! How did we manage before the days of the Internet? I did my lands end to John o'groats and back ride in 1990, no garmin, no mobile phone, all I had was 4 Shell road maps!