Planning an Outer Hebrides tour

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Planning an Outer Hebrides tour

Post by andrew_s »

al_yrpal wrote:You could then do Harris to Uig after going around Lewis, cycle down to Ardrossan and get on that fantastic train journey back from Malaig. Supposed to be the most scenic in Britain.

I think you mean Armadale.
Cycling down to Ardrossan would be more than just a bit out of your way, unless you fancy adding a trip round Arran to the Hebrides.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote:Re bikes on trains maybe things will change by next summer.
https://road.cc/content/news/243721-ext ... hland-line

Here they are , Scotrail say for 20 bikes and lots of large luggage.
Attachments
1E7D7F97-EDDC-4C36-91C0-74CCDE088CE6.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mikeymo

Scotrail bike carriages

Post by mikeymo »

I saw this:

https://road.cc/content/news/267921-scotrail-unveils-forthcoming-west-highland-line-carriages-space-20-bikes?fbclid=IwAR1aGGCwbCnpW4I98JmSvXlLmlPoxjXIrLpYllVwG3RxZehTSG8TI-nSXYc

Great move, obviously. Especially for me with my planned trip to the Outer Hebrides. Looks like space for at least 16 bikes in the racks, plus loose ones, if that's allowed.

Can't quite work out how the bikes will go in though. It looks like a wheel "tray" or something? Or is that two? Considering the line it's destined for, I'm assuming the front wheel goes in the slot, because a bike with a rear rack won't. And maybe not front low riders?

Is this a carriage or system anybody has seen before?
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Paulatic wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Re bikes on trains maybe things will change by next summer.
https://road.cc/content/news/243721-ext ... hland-line

Here they are , Scotrail say for 20 bikes and lots of large luggage.

Oh, that's a massive improvement. I'm glad Scot rail have finally got they're act together re bikes!
Will

Re: Scotrail bike carriages

Post by Will »

mikeymo wrote:I saw this:

https://road.cc/content/news/267921-scotrail-unveils-forthcoming-west-highland-line-carriages-space-20-bikes?fbclid=IwAR1aGGCwbCnpW4I98JmSvXlLmlPoxjXIrLpYllVwG3RxZehTSG8TI-nSXYc

Great move, obviously. Especially for me with my planned trip to the Outer Hebrides. Looks like space for at least 16 bikes in the racks, plus loose ones, if that's allowed.

Can't quite work out how the bikes will go in though. It looks like a wheel "tray" or something? Or is that two? Considering the line it's destined for, I'm assuming the front wheel goes in the slot, because a bike with a rear rack won't. And maybe not front low riders?

There is a better picture in the Scotsman:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... -1-5031537

Will
soapbox

Re: Scotrail bike carriages

Post by soapbox »

mikeymo wrote:I saw this:

Is it even possible to design a more complicated-looking bike storage system than that? With all the simple bike storage systems around, why didn't they opt for something that is intuiative rather than something that will prompt a "What the hell am I supposed to do here?" from most people?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looks to me like you put a front or back wheel into the tubular bit. Presume that’s to stop it walking forward or back. While also leaning it against the wall or another bike.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
krull

Post by krull »

We often leave the car for up to 2 weeks. Choose a residential area. Not outside someone's house. Preferably a parking spot where there is no pavement so that people have no reason to walk past.It is always a leap of faith leaving your car. I once left it on a busy road in Newquay where the road narrowed on a bus route (only one car can pass at once so plenty or mirror room and outside an old folks home so strangers cars commonplace.It was fine.

I am taking a sabbatical next year :) The first trip will be Glasgow -Ardrossan -Inner Hebrides, Hebridean Cycle Way, Ullapool, Cape Wrath, but not sure after that. We have 4-6 weeks.
For this trip, full camping gear, one touring bike and a fully loaded big dummy cargo bike so the dog can come (sits in the back), we will use one way van hire. Manchester airport (near me) to Glasgow airport (near Ardrossan). One quote came in at £35
nez

Post by nez »

andrew_s wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:You could then do Harris to Uig after going around Lewis, cycle down to Ardrossan and get on that fantastic train journey back from Malaig. Supposed to be the most scenic in Britain.

I think you mean Armadale.
Cycling down to Ardrossan would be more than just a bit out of your way, unless you fancy adding a trip round Arran to the Hebrides.

Of course Mull of Kyntyre to Arran to Ardrossan is a great little tour of its own. I'd add it!
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

For car parking for any length of time, consider sgaying on a campsite and asking the owners if you can leave the car there. Offer to pay -some campsites break down charges, and the overnight cost of a car is usually reasonable, and reasonably safe and secure on a campsite.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Did you see Britain By Bike recently? I'm sure Larry and George Lamb did this trip in the final episode of series 2.

Can't remember much detail but it might be worth a watch if you can find it on catch-up.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's a great trip.

We went from Oxford:
Sleeper train from London to Glasgow, train to Oban, ferry to Barra. Cycled up the islands. Ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool. Cycled to Inverness (actually to a little station just before). Sleeper train back.

No tents. Range of accommodation including Gatliff Hostels:
http://www.gatliff.org.uk/the-gatliff-trust/

Be prepared for wind, rain and midges. But we were lucky and had none of the latter two. : - )

Jonathan
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Just another boring reminder that there are always car parking problems in Oban. On the Oban faarcebook page there is a warning that a Zafira car which has current tax and mot and has been in the Farmfoods car park for two weeks will get towed tomorrow unless removed by the owner. This is possibly somebody off on a ferry. Residents are also getting more vocal about not being able to park their own cars anywhere near their houses due to stranger parking so if coming to Oban by car be wary about parking.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ambodach wrote:Just another boring reminder that there are always car parking problems in Oban. On the Oban faarcebook page there is a warning that a Zafira car which has current tax and mot and has been in the Farmfoods car park for two weeks will get towed tomorrow unless removed by the owner. This is possibly somebody off on a ferry. Residents are also getting more vocal about not being able to park their own cars anywhere near their houses due to stranger parking so if coming to Oban by car be wary about parking.

to clarify - these parkers are cyclists?

Am sort of assuming they are otherwise i wonder how they are getting around once on the islands.
Sweep
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

There is public transport on all the main islands so not necessarily cyclists but on this forum Oban parking is a fairly frequent topic so a reminder could save some cyclist problems on return to Oban.